Petunia (MW Neptunia) 7/23/2008-9/7/2021

Time4ANap

Camp Broodie is now an eerily quiet place.  We unexpectedly lost Petunia yesterday to a medical emergency. She had a mild case of LP and due to her age, the vet always felt that surgery risks outweighed the benefit for her.  She occasionally coughed or gagged after drinking, but was not having other issues from the LP. Yesterday the LP got worse and resulted in us going to the E-Vet.  Petunia stopped breathing shortly after her arrival in the building, and they had to intubate her.  After chest x-rays, it was determined that she would not have a favorable recovery if we did emergency tie-back surgery. We made the agonizing decision to let her go rather than put her through a risky surgery and complicated recovery. 

At this time, there are no dogs in this house and we are back to the eerie quiet that existed after Rocket passed, and it is the same quiet that resulted in Petunia arriving and starting Camp Broodie. 

Petunia's Story

We lost Rocket in October 2018. The house was so quiet that we couldn't stand it, but we got through the holidays and into the new year without a hound in the house except for visitors. Trolley got us through that time along with Snickers.  We had decided that we would wait until we found an older dog or a dog who had circumstances that resulted in them needing a forever home.  In January of 2019, GT'er 3DogNite asked if we could watch one of her fosters for a few hours while she went to a meeting. We knew that it was a setup but we agreed anyway.  It would be fun to have a hound in the house for a few hours. At this time, Trolley and Snickers were still occasional visitors so we were getting our hound fix by dog sitting.

Miss Petunia walked in the door that afternoon and camped on a bed behind DW's office chair.  She was kind of a shy girl who wasnt sure why she had been brought to yet another house. She much preferred the farm where she raised 21 pups that we know of and possibly many more. She had been a great racer, and brought to adoption at age 10 1/2 when the farm closed down. Petunia and I hit it off instnatly that day, and about 45 minutes into her "being watched for a few hours," I told DW to "write the damn check, she's not leaving."  That was the start of Camp Broodie. 

Petunia was obviously not happy as an only dog, but not long after her arrival, we got word of a greyhound who needed a temporary home while her owner recovered from a broken hip. We brought Bella to the house and she stayed for a couple of months. She and Petunia became buddies. When Bella went home, Petunia was miserable, so Kate came for one of those "afternoon visits" noted above. Petunia and Kate came from the same farm and were obviously old friends. They greeted each other, then both lay down on beds and Petunia once again became a dog with a mission - to take care of Kate. Petunia was the typical broodie and needed to have someone to take care of. If not another dog, it was usually me. She spent her days tracking my every move and letting me know when she was not happy with me being in a different room or when I returned after running an errand etc.  She was a Daddy's Girl in addition to being Chief Broodie. 

In the months since we lost Kate, Petunia changed and decided that she preferred being an only dog. We had several other dogs here as potential sisters for her, but they weren't Kate and she wasn't interested. She was just fine hanging with humans and the occasional greyhound visitor. Snickers is still a regular vistor and Petunia adored Snickers. She treated her like one of her own puppies. The broodie instinct was clear anytime Snickers visisted. She and Trolley also became good friends when Trolley was here. It took them a little time to do so, but they did really well together.  Last week we had two young greyhound visitors ages 3 and 5. The broodie came out in Petunia while they were here. She monitored their every move, followed them, herded them where she wanted them to go etc.  Once a broodie - always a broodie. :lol She was worn out when they left. 

Over the couple of years she was here, Petunia had a great retirement. She had numerous names - Tuners, Tunia, Miss Tuna, Toodles, Doodles, Toodle Doodles and many others. She discovered french fries early on and preferred that they be from McDonalds.  We last shared fries on Saturday when I brought them home for lunch after getting my flu shot. She would smell the fries when I walked in and stand by my recliner waiting for me to sit and serve her. She had a cheeseburger and fries for her 13th birthday celebration and I think she wanted to know where those cheeseburgers had been all of her life. :chow

I can't wite about Petunia without mentioning the "Petunia Pause."  When we went for walks, she would decide that she had walked far enough and would statue or sit on a driveway in the neighborhood. No amount of coaxing or waiting could make her walk home. The first time it happened I had to call DW to bring the car. Big Mistake. She statued on every walk after that and looked at me like " you can call the car now."  That was Petunia 100%. 

We will miss our "stubborn broodie" and I will miss my "Daddy's Girl."  We don't know what the next chapter brings, but I'm sure that Petunia will somehow have a hand in it if she can. 

Run-free pretty girl, and go find all of your friends who went to the bridge before you.  We love you. 

The girl with the wonkiest nails I've ever seen. 

qyohNI6.jpg

Mmmmm Fries. 

yjBfQPm.jpg

Finding a bonus fry that she stored earlier

m1mXSRd.jpg

Saunbathing with Kate and gossiping about the other dogs

vAgv3eX.jpg

One of my favorite pictures. 

l8r2CgA.jpg

Edited by Time4ANap
Fixing typos. Too many tears to type through.
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:brokenheart  Petunia, I hear that they serve french fries 24/7 over the Bridge.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am so very, very sorry your special girl had to leave you so suddenly :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

So sorry for your loss of Petunia.  She was a special girl.:f_red

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

NoNoNo.... Sweet Petunia   :(

:bighug  

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I wish I could articulate how much we are going to miss the Old Broodie Old Broad :wife stories. You knew and loved her so well, and gave her a voice like no other. I am so very sorry it was Petunia's turn to receive her wings. :grouphug

Godspeed Petunia. Go easy on Seamie :brokenheart :heart, he'll do his best but fries were never his strong suit.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh no! I'm so incredibly sorry that Petunia had to go, and so suddenly too. I'll miss your stories and those gorgeous big eyes in her whitening face. Maybe Petunia could look up Ivy, who had much the same look and can give her "newbie" tips at the bridge.

Godspeed Petunia.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry for your tremendous loss. I loved your Petunia "Head Broodie in Charge" stories. Rocket will show her exactly where the fries are and Miss Kate will be so happy to see her friend. I hope she will send you a sign.

Many hugs to you and Chris. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Not sure who I'm going to buy Meatballs for now! She knew when Auntie Carol arrived that it was time for a Meatball. So happy that I was able to see her on Saturday & give her one. Go find Trolley sweet girl & give her a kiss for me. Loved you to the moon....

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

I am so sorry to see sweet Petunia is gone! You gave her such a wonderful life! I always enjoyed hearing about her adventures. She looked a lot like Lila and Wiki seems to have her same broodie attitude. She must have left a big hole in your hearts. :grouphug

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

:f_whiteI am so sorry for your sudden loss. She was clearly a very special girl, who enjoyed a wonderful life with you. Run free sweet Petunia!:gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

My baby girl--although there was no question who's girl she really was.  Daddy, daddy, daddy.  Go out?  Nope, not unless it's daddy.  Of course, she knew he would break out the treats for her.  This is my favorite picture. Auntie Carol's whistle brought those ears right up into a perfect pose.  The house is way too quiet without P2.  There are way too many rugs everywhere (because walking on tile was her nightmare).  There are way too many jars of treats and bags of treats and piles of toys.  They all leave a hole in your heart, but this one is deep.  Love you lots my Pretty Petunia.

XMAS 2020.JPG

I am so sad and sorry to read that Petunia has gone.  She was a very special girl.

Don't be sad.jpg

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I’m so incredibly sad for your loss of Petunia. I too, will miss your stories. 

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Missr. Don and Miss. Chris we ar broken ov the heart that ower frend Petunia had to leeve yu. We ar shur she hadd the besst tyme livving wiv yu.

Likky kissis frum

Chancey and Nutmeg..

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Oh Don, my heart just dropped when I saw Petunia's name in Remembrance!!  I'm so sorry for your sudden loss of Petunia, especially following so close on losing her sister Broodie.  Big hugs to you and Chris  :bighug 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly