River

45MPHK9

When Bee Wiseman and Murray died, I was well aware of their cancer diagnoses. This knowledge made it possible to write remembrances in my head for them long before they passed. With River, we faced sudden, catastrophic liver illness and lost her in a matter of days. I was never prepared to write a remembrance thread for her, and I have procrastinated in doing so for almost two weeks. It’s been hard to accept this type of loss. We’ve had friends tell us that their dog was fine on Friday and died on Monday. No warning, no treatment options to discuss, no time to mentally prepare for the loss. We didn’t think this would be our story with River. This sudden loss has been extremely painful for us.

48025836786_33ca7edca0_z_d.jpg

Our greyhound Murray, the love of my life, passed away in January, 2016 after a six month battle with brain cancer. We were desperate to adopt another dog right away to keep Holly company. That’s what we told ourselves, anyway. I was desperate to adopt another dog to help me cope with Murray’s loss, to redirect my attention away from sadness, to help me stop thinking about what more we could have done to save him. Three weeks after he died, I received a message from Robin with a photograph of River. This beautiful, fuzzy lurcher would be up for adoption soon through SHUG. She was a stray found on River Road (hence her name) in Pasadena, Maryland. River had the sweetest face (and such a wonderful name) and she had been sent our way due to the thoughtfulness of a friend who understood the depth of my sadness in losing Murray. We quickly applied for her and brought her home in February, 2016.

47996465243_99f6be13ff_z_d.jpg

I spent months scouring the internet for “lost lurcher”, “lost staghound”, “lost greyhound cross” on lost pet websites in and around Anne Arundel County where River was found. I was so afraid that someone was looking for her, waiting for her to come home. Searching for her owners may sound foolish to you, but if she was yours, you’d have wanted her back. At the one year mark,  I stopped looking back for the people who’d lost her. Over the course of that year, we became her people. 

46044390831_5882c7164e_z_d.jpg

River was perfect right from the start. She loved everyone, everything. Murray was so much work, River was easy. Murray had many fears, River had none. Murray was a nervous traveler, River was a dream in the car. Murray didn’t like many other dogs, River saw every other dog as a friend. She was the easiest dog in the world. We hit the jackpot with her. She spent time keeping Holly company. River loved road trips, greyhound events, hanging out with us and our friends at breweries. She loved people and attention. So many of you on GT met River throughout the short time we had her. She would always sidle up to you and lean on you. Everyone was her very best friend. And she really loved climbing up on tables. I have no idea why she did this, but we let her. 

47996472442_fc911bc30b_z_d.jpg

26948424561_eb1a64594b_z_d.jpg

Once Hopper came along, River had found her tiny snuggle buddy, her mini-me. Those two girls became the world’s best greeters at Meyers Automotive, Burke’s repair shop. Customers, salesmen, and employees loved River. While I’ve been hiding my grief at home, Burke has had an endless stream of people in his waiting room asking, “Where’s River?” He’s had to answer that question so many times, tell the story of her sudden illness, of how she left us so quickly. We never knew how old River was, but we were never supposed to lose her so soon. It was her only flaw, not living forever.

48098920066_9034a43046_z_d.jpg

We we are so lucky to have shared three years of our lives with River. We are grateful to Robin who led us to her. We are thankful to Tracy and Jackie who helped us with advice and thoughtful words throughout the awful weekend of her illness. We loved you, River. We will always love you. Thank you for letting us be your people for a little while. 

47996472412_21a82b1bd8_z_d.jpg

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I am so very, veryy sorry :(:( what a wonderful tribute to such a much-loved pup.  She certainly was one in a million.  

sending many, many hugs to you both.  :(:grouphug :cry1 :cry1 :grouphug 

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh, Tricia and Burke, I am so very sorry that you lost your beautiful, special River.  She was a sweet, sweet dog.  Having also lost dogs suddenly and knowing that they were going to pass, I still don't know which way is worse for those left behind.  

Hugs

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Tricia and Burke, 

I'm so sorry for your loss of River. She was gorgeous and that was a beautiful tribute.  I never got to meet River since our Dewey plans were derailed a few times, but I can tell you from meeting Murray, Bee and Holly that there is no doubt that she knew she was loved by her people. 

Run-free, River. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I feel honored to have known River from the day you adopted her. She was an absolute love and our Encarna's favorite dog in the entire world. We lost Bonny and Celeste with no warning signs. Those sudden, unexpected losses are hard to cope with and make you feel so helpless. I look forward to seeing you at Grapehounds. We'll have a toast to River!

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

It was always evident from your Instagram posts how much you loved your perfect River girl, and this tribute to her is beautiful. I am so sorry you lost her so suddenly and didn't have more time together. Rest well, River. Hugs to your people, and to Holly and Hopper who are surely missing you too.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

My heart broke when I learned of your loss, Tricia and Burke. Your stories and photos of your sweet, perfect girl always made me smile and endeared her to those of us who didn’t have the opportunity to meet her and could love her only from afar. Thank you for sharing her with us. I understand both types of losses. Please know that you are in my thoughts as you navigate another new normal. :grouphug Please too give Holly and Hopper a hug from me. :grouphug

Godspeed beautiful perfect River :heart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So very sorry for the sudden loss of your beautiful girlie.

Only we know what a small price we pay for the love we have received from our pets. 

The sadness and loss, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given.

Remember all the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I still can't believe she's gone. Thanks for sharing her with us through your beautiful pictures. The one of her on the picnic table is wonderful, and the one of her with Hopper brings tears to my eyes.

Hugs to you, Burke, Holly, and Hopper.  

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

You had her for only a few short years, yet she made such a huge impression on all of us, your beautifully fuzzy girl. I remember when you announced that you had bought your dogs a house -- I know River must have appreciated her yard but it must have been nothing compared to her love of her family.  

:grouphug  I'm so sorry.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so incredibly sorry. Her personality shone through your photographs and stories of her--she was an extraordinary presence even through a screen. I can only imagine the depth of your loss.

Godspeed River.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

So very sorry for your loss of River. I never met her in person but it is easy to see why every one fell in love with her. Her love must have been so pure it radiated out to everyone and circled right back to her.

Rest well Sweetie.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Your tribute and photos are beautiful.  Especially love the one of River on a picnic table, looking entirely relaxed, like it was the most normal thing.

I am so sorry your lovely and perfect girl had to leave, and for the shock and grief of her sudden departure.   My thoughts are with you both. :grouphug

Trixie and Burke, I'm so very sorry to read of your loss of River. Your tribute to her was beautiful.  I have found that as we give our hearts to the dogs that come into our lives they become exactly what we needed at that moment in time. 

:f_white

Edited by 4My2Greys

Beautifully written-your words ooze the love you had for River.  Deeply sorry for your untimely and horrible loss.  They walk in and leave our lives on their own terms-perhaps one day we will gain the knowledge to understand and accept that. 

Hugs-always.