Diva (Astar Dashindiva) 11/18/2010 - 12/17/2021

Time4ANap

2021 had to get in one last dig.  This makes my 4th post in Rememberance this year. We don't need another year like this one, but will always do what's right for our hounds. 

Sadly, we helped Diva cross the Rainbow Bridge today.

Diva and her brother Mark came to us a little over a month ago when their owner passed away suddenly. 2 weeks later, Diva started limping. She tested positive for Valley Fever, but also had a tumor on the bone in her shoulder. VF and Osteo can both present in this manner.  We opted to try and treat for Valley Fever and see if there was any improvement since Osteo at age 11 really did not have any good treatment options.  As the weeks progressed, Diva became weaker and it became increasingly difficult for her to get around, although she wasn't one to let a little thing like Osteo get her down. Last night at 2 AM, she showed up in the backyard when I took Mark outside. She had followed us, limping on 3 legs the whole way. The girl wanted to be part of everything that went on, and was always wherever her brother went. 

In the last week, we had to carry her in or out a couple of times when she just wasn't up to walking, but then would turn around several hours later and go wherever she wanted, unimpeded, but limping the whole way. We knew it was time, and the progression of symptoms was too much like Osteo to take a chance on a broken leg. The vet came to the house this morning while Chris and I petted her, held her, and her brother Mark stood watch over everything happening. It is a sad day here, and we are doing anything we can to help Mark get used to his new normal. Diva kept close tabs on her brother, and he never went anywhere that she didn't try to bump him out of the way for pets or treats, reminding the human that "Hey, I need pets too and you have two hands!" 

Run pain-free, Diva. Let your Mom know that Mark is in good hands. We love you, Sweet Pea. 

Some Diva pics...

Diva decided yeaterday was a good day to sunbathe in the back yard. 

coJFFuu.jpg

Diva and Mark trying to score treats.

2dZkx2Y.jpg

Celebrating her 11th birthday. 

5XrHtaL.jpg

Every birthday girl needs to celebrate with a sundae. 

Xn6yUiZ.jpg

She was a champion roacher, and even this morning she rolled on to her back for belly rubs - 4 different times. 

rCxWbnO.jpg

"Hello. My brother and I would like some of whatever it is you are having."

5ARTujF.jpg

After all of these years, Chris finally got her snuggler. 

j2kBIxx.jpg

Diva and Mark in their first days at our house. 

b7e5UQL.jpg

Another roach.

tSD7ZGL.jpg

Edited by Time4ANap
Fixing typos. Too many tears to type through.
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Diva was still a lucky girl to spend her final days with you and Chris.  :brokenheart

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ducky said it best. If they stay one day or one million, they are loved to the max.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

This feels incredibly sad to me.  She looked so much like our first greyhound, Brandy, with her heart shaped white face.  I am so sorry she had to leave so soon.  Yes, this has not been a very good year.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I"m so very sorry :( thank you for giving her and Mark such a loving home :beatheart 

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Awwwwww.....I'm so sorry it was time to say goodbye to Diva.

Thank you for taking these two homeless houndies and giving them their best life.  

Hugs to you, Chris and Mark.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Diva’s wings are brilliant, strong and made with love. She simply received them too soon. As soon as he heard she was coming, Soos Chef Seamie started grilling and had ready a welcome buffet like no other :heart :brokenheart

Don, I am so sorry for you, Chris and Diva’s dear brother Mark. You done good. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so incredibly sorry. The time she spent with you was perfect, but there should have been a lot more of it. My heart goes out to you, Chris, and Mark.

Godspeed Diva.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:f_whiteI am so sorry for you both, and for Mark.  Such a short time that she had with you, but as others have said one filled with love, and luck, and happiness.

Run free, dear Diva - no more pain now :gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I'm so sorry, Don; what a wretched year. My thoughts are with you, Chris, and Mark.

Rest well, Diva girl. You have many friends waiting to greet you.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I am so very sorry for you and Chris, and for Mark, of course.  2021 has been a rough year in so many ways and this is particularly heartbreaking.

:grouphug 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

So sorry for your loss of this precious girl. Rest well Diva.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I'm so sorry.  What a crappy year.  And sweet Diva...  {{{sigh}}} 

Sending all our good thoughts to you and Chris and Mark.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so sorry that Diva didn't have more time with you.  It's heartbreaking that you've had so many losses. Yet you continue to take in the seniors in need. You're good people! :grouphug

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I am sorry beyond measure.

In whatever way, I hope that her spirit has met with her previous human's, and that they are having a joyous reunion.  With Diva telling her all about the wonderful home she and Mark found, (although she had to do some strict training to get the new humans in line).  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I’m so very sorry Don and Chris. I wish I had words of comfort but I never do. She ended up in a great home with you and is lucky she spent her last few months loved and spoiled.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks everyone. We fell in love with Diva and Mark the minute they walked in here.  She had a great time here, even when limping she was the happiest dog I've ever seen.  We promised her that we would take care of Mark, and he definitely learned a few of Diva's tricks over the years. He is demanding more pets than he ever did when she was here. :lol

Mark has been okay since Diva left, but last night he was a little unsettled and did a lot of back and forth between the living room and bedroom. I finally got him to settle in a bed at about 2:30 AM.  He is much better today. We went for a walk today and he is eager to explore the neighborhood further than we have gone in the past. I can tell that he will be a much different dog in the coming months.  He always took a back seat to Diva, but is already starting to come out of his shell a little more. 

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life