LaVida (I've Got Life) 5/8/12-7/24/23

Time4ANap

Last Tuesday, LaVida started limping on her front left leg. As many here know, she had some neurological issues with the back legs but was not in any pain from them. When the limp started, we were hoping that she had just tweaked something. As was her habit, she was still running and doing zoomies every morning when she went out and every evening after dinner, even with the limp. On Wednesday we got her in for an x-ray and heard the word that none of us ever want to hear again. She had Osteo in her left shoulder. Due to her age and the neuro issues, there were no treatment options. 

This morning, the vet came to the house, and she passed very gently at 9AM to the sound of Cat Stevens singing "Oh Baby Baby It'a Wild World." It seemed appropriate for LaVida. We turned on Pandora this morning for some background music, and the second song to play was IZ singing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." Needless to say, I lost it. Probably Rocket's way of continuing to mess with me. :lol

LaVida came to us in January of 2022 after her original adopter passed away. She had only been with the adopter for about a year. She was part of a group of farm dogs that GPA placed when one of the racing farms closed down. She was never a broodie, but it was obvious that she had spent years hanging out with the broodies on the farm. We called her an "honorary broodie." She was so much like Petunia that we are pretty sure they used to hang out together on the farm (they had different racing owners but both were from the same farm), so we are pretty sure that she was one of Petunia's buddies.. WIth the same coloring, both of us often called her "Petunia" before we got her name right when talking to her. 

LaVida learned to play with toys when Stella stayed with us for 6 months while her Dad was reloaciting and settling into a new job. Stella was a mixed breed pup who LaVida quickly adopted as her own puppy. They had a blast together and it just confirmed our broodie theory even more. She continued to play with toys after Stella returned home, and was even flinging toys around on Friday and Saturday as usual. 

LaVida was one of the happiest hounds that we've had. She always had a tail wag and a play bow or curtsy when she saw you. She remained happy until she passed. She even attempted her morning run this morning even though her limp got worse in the last 24 hours. There was no keeping this sweet girl down. One of her favorite things to do was to stalk my morning muffin whenever I had one with my coffee. She would try to get the napkin containing the muffin wrapper after I finished. Sometimes I would forget and leave it sitting here, only to come back and find a shredded paper towel and no muffin wrapper to be found. She happily ate the wrapper. This morning before she went to The Rainbow Bridge, she finally succedded on her muffin quest, and got a few pieces of the elusive chocolate muffin that she had been hunting for all this time. 

This past weekend, some of her friends and neighbors all came to visit. She was still a party girl, going from person to person for treats and pets. This morning, she came to me and gave me some sloppy kisses on my chin. Even though it likely hurt to walk, she had to come and get her morning snuggle and back scratches. Last night, she and Mark had a fry party. The girl loved her french fries. This morning at about 3AM I checked on her and found her roached, sound asleep, just like always. She was a champion roacher. 

Chris and I were definitely not ready for this one. We've gone almost 19 months without losing a hound, but there was no question that this had to be done for LaVIda. We will miss our sweet, happy girl. 

LaVida - go find Rocket and tell him we sent you. He will roll his eyes that there was yet another girl in our house, but he will take care of you. I'm sure there will be a big party at Chef Seamie's Bacon Buffet tonight. Run pain-free, sweet girl. We love you and loved every minute that you were here. 

Last night's fry party

OEnpYGq.jpg

Our typical view here

3cWiAPO.jpg

Hanging out with Mark

JjogPKt.jpg

Our sweet girl

LDDEr8b.jpg

55QOW0L.jpg

RrGTfFG.jpg

v0jmG2k.jpg

Edited by Time4ANap
typo'd date
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

What a fun girl she was for you.  I will miss your stories of her antics but I imagine she and Rocket will be causing a ruckus over the Bridge.  :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your beautiful girl. You did right by her and I have no doubt she knew how much she was loved. A cure for this awful disease can't come fast enough.

Rest well, LaVida, and send your parents a sign.

Don and Chris :grouphug 

Mark :kiss2

(Rocket, you know that song undoes everyone!)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

You and Chris always love them all so hard and give them the softest place to land. I have a feeling tho that La Vida wriggled into an extra special place in your hearts. Thank you for sharing her with us, I am so going to miss seeing that (usually while upside down) smile of your sweet girl. Be brave, dear Mark. I am so sorry. :grouphug

Sweet girl, rest well, La Vida. Dad is rite, and if you have any speshul requests you just let Seamie :heart :brokenheart know.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Time4ANap changed the title to LaVida (I've Got Life) 5/8/12-7/24/23

No words can express my shock and sadness when I saw LaVidas name and my eyes are leaking profusely.
You guys gave her the best life possible and did today you did exactly was was best for your girl.

I’ll find a French Fry truck for lunch after my Wednesday morning paddle….

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Oh Noooooo!

I'm so incredibly sorry that your sweet happy girl had to leave so soon. We will all miss her pics and antics.

Godspeed LaVida.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

My heart is breaking for you. As some of the others have discerned Rocket is with her... he was probably waiting for her to arrive.  He will take care of her and it is good they will have the pleasure of each others company.  And I know beyond any shadow of a doubt they are both enjoying french fries and muffins- complete with the wrapper!  :f_pink:f_red:f_pink:gh_lay:grouphug

:beatheart

"For love is as strong as death....
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.
If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

So very sorry for your loss of sweet & beautiful La Vida. Rest well pretty girl.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Thank you for your kind words, everyone.

This happened very fast, and we are fortunate that we at least had an extra weekend to spoil her. I can not say enough about the vet service that came to the house. The hospice vet that we've used in the past recently retired and referred us to the new service. They were absolutely awesome. We are grateful to have a service available to come to the house. 

Several people have asked about Mark. He is doing as well as can be expected. He is a very quiet boy and has always preferred to play second to any other dog in the house. He spent much of yesterday in the spots that LaVida usually occupied, and this morning at about 3 AM I heard him get up and move to her favorite bed in the living room. He's a little mopey today and didn't eat breakfast until about 2PM. Whatever - he's usually a brunch kind of guy anyway. 

The house is eerily quiet without our party girl here. LaVida had only been gone from the house for about 10 minutes when Chris and I both decided that we couldn't handle the silence. Yes, Mark is that quiet and LaVida was the house coordinator, keeping track of everyone and scoring treats for herself and her brother. I may have to have Snickers come over and visit this weekend to keep all of us company.

Thanks again. Your thoughts and comments are huge to us. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Apologies for not seeing this sooner!!   I'm so sorry you had to send your girl on her final journey.

It's a tough job you (and Jan) have set for yourselves - always taking in the seniors.  You and Chris are very courageous and compassionate.   {{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

So sorry for your loss of Lavida :grouphug

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Missr. Don and Miss. Chris, Mum and me ar so sorree to heer abowt LaVida butt we know that yu did the kindest fing fower hur. We ar glad that yu fownd sumwun nyse to kum to yur howse to help hur on hur way.

Finking ov Mark too, who gonna miss hiz sista.

Likky kissis frum Nutmeg.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.