Willa has osteo [Update: amp 8/1]

I noticed a lump on her right front wrist yesterday. After what we've been through recently with Richard, we got the first appointment we could get with any vet in town. They took x-rays and did a FNA and the bone is pretty obviously compromised. There's also a tiny spot in her lung that the vet doesn't think is a met, but she's sending it to a radiologist for a second opinion. It doesn't really matter; Willa has a corn on her front left foot and some back leg issues from racing, so we don't feel she's a good candidate for amputation, not to mention I don't think we're emotionally equipped for it again. She's only 5 and hasn't even been with us a year. :brokenheart 

We're in utter shock and heartbroken. It looks like Willa and Richard will be making their journey together soon. Please keep us and Doolin in your thoughts.

Edit: Not so fast, Satan.

Edited by ramonaghan
strikethroughs

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so sorry that you are going through this again.  Please spoil Willa and Richard completely rotten for all of us here. 

Please give Doolin, Willa and Richard some ear rubs from us. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I cannot understand the universe. This is not fair. I am so sorry. 

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

2 hours ago, Remolacha said:

Nooooooo! No No No! :cry1

My exact words. This is the crappiest news for you, but I’m so glad she found her way to you for her retirement. She couldn’t have had a better home. :grouphug

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Noooooo!!!

It's so incredibly unfair and unbelievably sad. My heart breaks for all of you.

I hope she has more good time than you expect. :grouphug 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Rachel, I'm so sorry.  This is totally not fair at all.  {{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:censored cancer. That is all. 

Sending gentle whuffies and kitty biscuits your way.:heart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

:cry1     This is just not fair.    I am so sorry.   Make sure you spoil Willa and Richard as much as possible!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Thank you, everyone. We just got the call with the radiologist's confirmation of likely osteo (you know they always say they can't 100% rule out osteomyelitis without a biopsy, which we're not doing) but no mets—phew. Now that I am feeling slightly more rational, I am planning to reach out to Dr. Couto with the report and rads and see what he thinks re: Willa's corn/back leg stiffness. Sweep was 11.5 when she had her amp, after all, and had a chronic limp on a front leg since age 6 and hind end weakness, and she did fine. She was no Taylor or Tessie running laps in the yard, but she had a good quality of life. Now whether John and I can handle this process again and so soon is another discussion, but...Willa is only 5. It's so wrong. I hate this disease. 

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Don't know how I missed this yesterday...

So, so sorry you have to face this again   :brokenheart

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I don't know how I missed this. What ghastly, ghastly news. I am just speechless. Absolutely hate osteo with every fibre of my being. :weep 

Rachel, I'm sobbing as I read this. I am so terribly, terribly sorry. :brokenheart 

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Thank you all so much for your sympathy and nice messages. Kerry, I know how recent this is for you and am sorry to trigger the tears again.

Dr. C confirmed the presumptive diagnosis, not that we had any doubt. I explained the corn and sent videos of Willa walking and, although there's no guarantee since he can't examine her himself, he doesn't think amp is off the table. So now we wait to hear from one of the two oncologists in town to discuss next steps. We're really struggling with the decision; Sweep was happy until the end, but her world shrank so much after amp that I'd be lying if I said we'd never second-guessed our choice. On the other hand, it's not fair to compare a senior (who had not one, but two cancers) and a five-year-old. My stomach feels like it's full of rocks. I worry constantly about a leg break and about what this means for Doolin's future. Meanwhile, Willa is rolling over for belly rubs, flinging stuffies and talking smack to her brother, and wondering why we're being such sad weirdos.

Have you been hulling her corn??  Flexor tenotomy surgery has been extremely successful in ridding most dogs of their corn issue.  It's a super fast and easy surgery - basically creating a sprung toe by snipping the tendon instead of a naturally occurring tear - with only a two week recovery period.  It might be the kind of surgery that could be done without anesthetizing her completely, if you have a vet that would consider it.  Many dogs have an almost immediate relief from their corn and it doesn't return.  There is a chance that corns will pop up on other toes, but you'll have that anyway with her altered gait whether you amp or not.  It may be something to consider if her corn is one of the obstacles to an amp and have some time to fit it in prior.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

1 minute ago, greysmom said:

Have you been hulling her corn??  Flexor tenotomy surgery has been extremely successful in ridding most dogs of their corn issue.  It's a super fast and easy surgery - basically creating a sprung toe by snipping the tendon instead of a naturally occurring tear - with only a two week recovery period.  It might be the kind of surgery that could be done without anesthetizing her completely, if you have a vet that would consider it.  Many dogs have an almost immediate relief from their corn and it doesn't return.  There is a chance that corns will pop up on other toes, but you'll have that anyway with her altered gait whether you amp or not.  It may be something to consider if her corn is one of the obstacles to an amp and have some time to fit it in prior.

Yep, regular hulling and dremeling seems to help keep her comfortable and not limping. I'll talk to the surgeon about the other if we get that far. :unsure