Laila Mariposa

queenwinniesmom

After we let our precious Laila go, yesterday morning, I posted her remembrance on Facebook.  I know some of you are not there, so I wanted to post here as well.   We are trying to adjust to a new normal, without the bright light that Laila brought to us every day---I see her everywhere, miss her in ways I couldn't even imagine.  It's so, so hard.

But we were so lucky that we were able to say goodbye in a peaceful, compassionate way.  She wasn't afraid as I held her in my arms.  Our vet was remarkable in his kindness, patience, understanding.  They did something that I had never seen, with any of the many dogs and cats I have said goodbye to.  They brought in a basket of all kinds of treats---biscuits, peanut butter, canned meat, squirty cheese, sweets---and we could pick anything for her to enjoy.  She loved cheese---we gave her the daily pills in Pub Cheese.  We called it Pup Cheese.  :)  So she had lots of cheese, as well as her steak for breakfast.  We had as much time with her as we wanted, and they gave us a buzzer to press when we were ready for them to come back to continue with letting her go.  This meant the world to us, and I'm so grateful.

Laila Mariposa. Could there have been a more perfect name for her? When we first met at Scooby 7 years ago, she was Linda, which means pretty in Spanish. But she was more than pretty, she was beautiful, in every way---her lovely little face, her kind eyes, her tail that never stopped wagging, the asymmetrical ears that usually made her look like she was making a left turn, and her gentle, loving, innocent spirit that charmed everyone she met. She became Laila even before we brought her home, after Laila Ali, because she was a tiny fighter. She tried so hard to be brave at first, but didn't always succeed. The other Galgos at Scooby must have perceived her as weaker and submissive, so when I met her, she was living with just a few other shy dogs for her own protection. She understandably didn't trust other dogs, but she absolutely adored people! She charmed me immediately, but when the vet said she was probably only 3 years old (we think now she may have been a bit older), I decided to try and find an older female (even 7 years ago, I wasn't exactly young). Well, I did find Kiva, who turned out to be only about 3 as well, but Kiva picked me. Irrevocably. And I really had no choice (of course, I'm forever grateful for that because everything turned out exactly like it was supposed to). But "Linda" was so sweet, so innocent, so very special, that I couldn't stop thinking about her. I kept a virtual eye on her from the US with the help of the wonderful Ana, who told me she was having a difficult time. I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to this dear soul, so I contacted Debbie, who moved mountains to get her on the next transport as my Kiva. I was over-joyed! Even if I couldn't adopt her, she would find a great home in the US. Except she didn't. She waited in foster for about 3 months, and I thought about her every day, coaxing Doug to admit that we really could have 4 dogs, and telling him how perfect this little girl was. He finally said the fateful words---"Why don't we just adopt her?" And we did. And she spent the next 7 years precisely where she was meant to be. And she grew into exactly the dog she was meant to become---beautiful, sweet, smart, strong and brave. That's what I used to tell her in Spanish all the time (I figured she needed to hear some loving words in her native language 🙂 ). I told her that almost every day, and especially the day we said good-bye. She effortlessly embodied everything good that a dog should be. She was our social butterfly, and her middle name became Mariposa, Spanish for butterfly. She took smoozing to another level---she made total strangers feel that she was somehow deeply in love with them, she stood patiently while young children gathered around her, petting her gently, she actually searched for people to meet and captivate.

We didn't think she would be the first one to leave us---we couldn't bear the thought. But 2 years ago, she was diagnosed with bladder cancer, not uncommon in dogs, and a virulent cancer that has a prognosis without hope. The survival rate is about 6-12 months. We prayed for as much time as possible, and treated her with daily Piroxicam (a pain med with cancer fighting properties). She had regular ultrasounds, and we monitored the tumors growth. I can only say that we were lucky, or we were blessed, or she was fighting in her own quiet way, because the tumor grew slowly, and she maintained her active, seemingly healthy lifestyle. But just a few weeks ago, we started noticing worrisome changes---labored breathing, groaning when she got up or down, weakness in her hind legs, some spots of blood. We feared the cancer was finally fighting back, and we were right. The monster had moved into her lungs, and the time when she could be pain free was coming to an end.
Today, her wonderful vet at the Animal Friends Wellness Clinic, so compassionately and patiently helped us let her go. I can't say enough good things about the quality of care she received, the understanding and love she felt (and we felt as well) from everyone there. We will be forever grateful that she was able to leave in such a safe, peaceful, and respectful way.
We will miss her enormously. For such a tiny girl, she brought a huge and loving presence to our home and our hearts every single day---her innocence, her gentleness, her quirkiness, her pure love. In her quiet way, she was a force---she could turn ripples on a pond into a giant wave. And I believe she did that, brightening peoples days, spreading Galgo love---who knows how far her power could reach? And weren't we blessed to have her in our lives for the time she was here?
I told her this always, I will tell her this forever, till we meet again. Te amo, mi pequeña mariposa. Tu eres una buena Galga. Tu eres muy hermosa, muy cariñosa, muy lista, muy fuerte y muy valiente. Tu eres siempre en mi corazon.
I love you, my little butterfly. You are a good Galga. You are very beautiful, very sweet, very smart, very strong, and very brave. You are always in my heart.
No photo description available.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

What a beautiful tribute to your beloved girl. I am sorry you didn't have more time together, but hope you are comforted that you gave her such a wonderful life and such a gentle goodbye. Fly high, Laila Mariposa. :heart 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I am so sorry it was Laila Mariposa’s time to fly. That is the most perfect photo of a butterfly if ever there was one, those ears fluttering amongst the flowers. It’s easy to see how you fell so hard in love with her :heart I’m guessing that it won’t be long before the signs from your sweet girl start to arrive. :grouphug

Laila Mariposa :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Nancy, it was both an honor and an absolute joy to have met Laila at GIG.  :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What a perfect, loving tribute to Laila.  I so appreciated reading the story of how she came to be with you, right where she belonged. :heart  The photo of her is absolutely perfect and shows just the sweet, winning strength you so skillfully and lovingly described.  You were blessed to have found her and she was blessed to have found you. :grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Beautiful tribute for a very special girl. Rest well Laila Mariposa.

So very sorry for your loss.

Edited by JaimeL
Adding text

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Such a beautiful tribute to lovely little Laila.   I, too, am honored that I got to meet her at GiG this year.     Sending you lots of love and comfort.  :grouphug 

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

"beautiful, sweet, smart, strong and brave"

Ja, ja -- everything a galga has a right to be.  Thank you for giving her the chance to grow into that.  And for sharing her spirit with us.  I've always felt that her funny and wise comments somehow floated through the air to all of our animals.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Words cannot express how sorry I am that you had to say goodbye to your beautiful girlie.

Remember all those good times and smile....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so very sorry. You wrote a wonderful tribute to a very special girl who nestled her way into the home in which she belonged.

Godspeed Laila.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a beautiful tribute to your sweet Laila. I feel the same way, that we are blessed to have them in our lives for the time they are here...and it's still not enough time, ever. Rest gently, brave girl. :brokenheart I'm so sorry for your loss.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m so sorry, Nancy and Doug. She was a very sweet and lovely girl :f_white

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.