Potato, My Fuzzy Ibizan Girl

macoduck

Potato, my silly ibizan girl, is gone.

She never had a proper introduction here but now her story can be told.

Near the end of 2015 I was searching all the sighthound breeds on Petfinder and was surprised to see an ibizan hound listed. I contacted a friend with ibizans (thank you Shannon!) who worked with the breed rescue and from there Potato's story began. There wasn't just one ibizan, I'd tripped over 9 of them, dumped and medically neglected. Ultimately, 7 got out and to rescue and new homes. I was asked to not post about her on social media as that could have jeopardized springing the rest of those still imprisoned.

Potato had a different name back then and a long list of medical issues: bladder and uterine infections, flea dermatitis, intestinal worms, heartworm positive, and pregnant by one of her sons. She was rehabbed by a great vet and nursed back to being a happier dog by her foster mom, Stevie.

Most ibizans need at least a 6 foot fence to keep them contained. When I learned that Potato had no desire to jump at all, I adopted her and she came to live at my house with it's 4 foot fence. She never, ever jumped. Not on the couch, not on our beds, not into the car.

Her shyness slowly melted away. Her coat filled in. Her chin sprouted long hair on the sides. Her shoulders started growing very long hairs that looked like angel wings.

It took her months to join us in the living room. She had sleep startle that was just a grumbly grumbly noise that spooked our other dogs. They learned that was just how she was. She'd rear up on her hind legs whenever dinner or cookies were served, with her front legs folding under in a manner that reminded me of goats. Her silly facial expressions never failed to amuse us.

And then suddenly, over the course of a few hours, something was horribly wrong. Vomiting, lethargic, couldn't rest, walked like a zombie. That night I took her to the emergency vet who saw nothing on the xray or lab work. We were given pills for a possible spleen infection. Potato got subQ fluids, Cerenia, Baytril and Buprenorphine injections.

By morning she was worse and I got her to my favorite vet as soon as the clinic opened. With one look at the xrays he knew she had a massive tumor in her abdomen, pushing her other organs to the side. How the emergency vet couldn't see this we'll never know and it makes me angry.

As you look over Potato's pictures, look for the sprouting of wispy hair strands on her shoulders that grow longer with the passing of time. They'd always looked like little angel wings to me. She's taken flight with them now. She's flown away from her pain. She'll never ever fly out of my heart.

Potato, go look for your greyhound brother Allen. He crossed to the Bridge just 2 weeks ago. He'll show you around and introduce you to all the 16 Macoduck dogs that went before you two.

Potato aka 'Tato aka Sistah Spud
12/18/06 - 1/9/18
rescued Dec. 2015
joined our family July 2016

Editing to add how Potato got her name. After being released from the vet, Potato's foster mom noted that she looked rather "stuffed" like a baked potato. Having been a puppy mill mom she'd lost her girlish figure. Gradually she got down in size although not down to steak fry size. And then at our house she gained a little bit back. She did answer to Potato and 'Tato so we kept that name.

26730800_1992942917697469_21747018963656

The first day I met her. Physically a train wreck but still smiling.

26804566_1992943391030755_84780029355429

Beginning to relax and feeling sassy.

26196367_1992943594364068_49434106951050

Her witness protection photo.

26239829_1992943664364061_76315191688135

Finally joining us in the living room.

26231133_1992943887697372_83327261260236

Princess Potato's portrait by Annie Roberts.

26229780_1992944161030678_36114659194408

Watching LivePD with me each weekend and following the chase scenes.

26231160_1992944541030640_11512562850602

Posing for our Christmas card.

26229959_1992944727697288_24962552867672

Her last hour and her fuzzy angel wings fully deployed.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Potato, you hit the jackpot with Miss Ducky. I am sorry you were not able to enjoy each other for a longer period of time. RIP Tato.

:bighug to Ducky, Mac, MaZy and little Charlie.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I am so very sorry :( :( :cry1 what a beautiful little girl she was :( thank you for giving her the love she deserved. Sending hugs. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

What a darling girl she was, and a lucky one to find you. I'm sorry she couldn't stay longer.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

"She's flown away from her pain. She'll never ever fly out of my heart." :weep

Bless you, Ducky, for being her angel. She deserved to know what real love is, what a true forever family is, even if it wasn't nearly long enough. I know your heart is breaking now---so much sadness in your life. We are sending you hugs and much sympathy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I try so hard not to cry when I read these Remembrances....

What a total sweetheart.

Thank you for giving her a loving home. I wish you had more time with her.

Run free Potato.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Dearest Ducky...so sorry that your Spuddy Buddy girl had to go. She was a cutie. Rest peacefully, Potato.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Ducky, I really am incredibly sorry that you had to say goodbye to her so soon. Her last 2 years were filled with love and care and you are to thank for that. The other hounds are also in wonderful homes because of Potato and you. I'm glad that she got to enjoy comfort and love in the end and am grateful to you for contacting me and ultimately bringing my little girl into my life. We're sending you big hugs and lots of thoughts.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

I'm so sorry about Potato, Ducky, and so soon after Allen. My thoughts are with you. Rest well, sweetheart.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

She was absolutely gorgeous. Run free sweet girl. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We loved that whiskery face, it made us smile.

Now her story is told and though it is sad that the "happy ending" did not last as long as everyone wished, she reached the perfect spot from which to fly away with those cute angel wings, - somewhere she was loved. No houndie can ask for more.

M. "E" C., Chancey & Nutmeg.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I was wondering about a "Potato". I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds