Rita, the podenco maneto 1/3/12~4/26/24

macoduck

Rita is gone.
Born 1/3/12
Adopted 12/12/20
Gone 4/26/24

It was just too much for her little body. Rita had been steadily losing weight, down 5+ pounds since December. She was always a picky eater and the worst at trying any form of pill taking.
Despite assurances that "most dogs like" the low fat Rx canned food, she wouldn't touch it. Not heated, not with any kind of appetite stimulant (crushed and stirred in, not with chicken and defatted ground beef. It had been nearly 14 hours since she'd eaten at this point so I tossed everything away and just gave her the chicken and ground beef. She woofed it up but it would not be nutritionally enough long term.

She was getting wobbly lately. Blind in one eye and the depth perception worsening in the other, she started bumping into things in the house like doorways and the refrigerator. She could never find a treat if I put it on the floor. Instead I would bump her nose with it, hold it right there, and eventually she'd figure it out. When she'd go outside she would turn right (the good eye side) and patrol the perimeter. If she had to potty, she'd turn left. At night, even though we have lighting, I'd go with her and shine a flashlight so she could find her way back without bumping into the picnic tables.

Rita was not an easy dog to love at first. She peed in the house so many times despite tethering and taking her out frequently that I was ready to give her back from the group. She must have heard me because almost overnight she stopping peeing indoors.

Rita's favorite toy was a ball, any ball, even when she couldn't find it. I had to make it bounce near her so she could hear the bounce. Then she'd go thisaway and that, slapping the ground until she found it.

She would never cuddle, never roached, never let me rub her belly. Only ear scritches and chin rubs were permitted.

I'd made an appt to let her go on Monday, but by Thursday afternoon it was obvious that it was time. "A day too soon" is what it needed to be. 

Her passing at the vet office was gentle and swift. And finally, when she was gone, I cuddled with her and rubbed her belly.
401839359_3763907543934322_2896274358703599446_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=LgxUhDRRGTwAb6lkYxr&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=00_AfAS2z2TJPOGgT0VDqYGyebWt4WK5tI8WKi8JcVtn04IfQ&oe=6631B46F  271946037_3257568027901612_7215064244926384928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=CJkgF-Uk_0MQ7kNvgH_D1U8&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=00_AfAMHZNogxEOIZ8mbowI6H10DBmqyIGSsjMzWa7_vLQw3A&oe=6631C001  160575543_2999931010331983_3298746366480589678_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=vQM8z1Gz0AQQ7kNvgG_EaU9&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=00_AfC-b2NPz59p2or0lXDXLoy-6z0CME6SzYP2z_zSAggAqw&oe=66534344

Edited by macoduck
  • Like 1

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Such joy that little one got to experience with you, look at her with her ball! Ducky, you done good, giving Rita the best chapter of her life. You loved her so and she knew it. I am so glad that you got to cuddle your little pod girl :grouphug

Godspeed sweet girl f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

15 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

look at her with her ball!

This! Such a happy girl who knew she landed exactly where she was meant to be, with people who understood what she needed and gave her patience and love. I'm just so sorry she couldn't stay longer.

Sending big hugs to the House of Duck. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'm so sorry, Ducky. 

This one made me tear up. Rita was gorgeous and she definitely landed in the home where she needed to be. Run-free, Rita. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am so sorry Ducky.  :grouphug    You did everything you could and gave her as good a life as possible.   Run free little Rita! 

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

4 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

look at her with her ball! 

:inlove

Yes Ducky... you gave Rita the best life ever. 

For such a small girl, I am sure she has left a huge hole in your heart. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so very sorry. As many others have written, Rita had a wonderful time--her best years--with you. I wish for both your sakes that she could have arrived sooner and stayed longer.

Godspeed Rita.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sad and sorry to read this.  I know your heart is breaking for the loss of little Rita.

Don't be sad.jpg

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I hope her spirit is playing and running and happy, as she was meant to be on earth for so much longer than she got to be with you, Ducky.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I am so sorry for your loss of beautiful Rita. Rest well pretty girl.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

• macoduck changed the title to Rita, the podenco maneto 1/3/12~4/26/24

I’m sorry for your loss Ducky. Those dogs are so badly treated in Spain that it must be hard for them to love humans too; that you both managed it eventually speaks so much of your spirits and determination. I too am sure she’s chasing a ball around over the bridge

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

On 4/26/2024 at 8:07 PM, oldrunners said:

That last sentence did me in.  I weep with you.

:unsure me, too.

Rita had the best last four years of her life that she could have, anywhere in the world. :heart

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Fare the well, Rita.  You ended your life in a home full of love.

Ducky, I'm so sorry Rita couldn't stay a bit longer with you. :grouphug

That photo of Rita chasing the ball is one of my all-time favorites. :wub:

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

So sorry for your loss :grouphug

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)