Mazy

macoduck

Mazy (5/28/11-1/1/19)

Only 7 years old and gone too soon.
49441962_2253591741632584_19490466026225
Mazy was adopted by a young military family who should not have done so. Over their allowed pet limit in Base housing, multiple serious medical issues in the family, no time to walk her and a yard as big as a postage stamp. The young mother had grown with greyhounds and wanted one of her own. Within a month they needed to get rid of her and had no way to transport Mazy to her original rescue group. By chance, a relative out west found my name on the internet and asked if I could help since my family is military, I lived nearly the adopters and I had greyhounds.
I contacted the original adoption group and planned to pick Mazy up and transport her the next day. But those plans changed when I walked in the door with a skinny, scared Mazy and my husband said, "Can we keep her?" And so she stayed with the adoption group's blessing.
With the exception of our first greyhound, Gracie, adopted in 2002, we have had a whole bunch of super senior greyhounds come here. Throw-aways through no fault of their own with many needing hospice care.
What were we thinking bringing in a 2 year old, especially since Gracie, at 2 also, had been the worst young dog ever, destroying the house and nearly harming herself. But Gracie went on to become a therapy dog.
Maybe this 2 year old Mazy would be OK. She was perfect. No potty accidents, no damage, she just went with the flow of the household.
As senior greyhounds came and went, as senior italian greyhounds came and went, Mazy was the perfect little sister/big sister for them all. Never a snark toward the new oldsters, even if they took her favorite bed.

49149536_2253592914965800_5010964105457049147264_2253592384965853_3474158625797149125089_2253589674966124_7493146617734749135493_2253591348299290_2414275166612749804360_2253590801632678_43305579805849
The reason for Mazy's death may remain a mystery. Perhaps there were some indicators that we missed, but she seemed fine on a Sunday and "off" a bit by Monday. Vet check Tuesday for slight temp and belly tenderness, meds issued. Not improving and more pain so vet check Thursday. Lab tests couldn't pinpoint the cause and she wasn't responding to antibiotics. Vet said she needs to go to NC State's vet hospital so we drove the 3 hours there immediately.
Even NC State was stumped by the lab tests but ultrasound showed definite pancreatitis. Treatable with meds and she was starting to improve. But then severe neck pain began. Preliminary MRI and spinal fluid tap showed no cancer, no vertebrae problems. Mazy had been on IV Fentanyl and still she hurt. She could not be discharged until she was off the various IVs.
Mazy spent 7 nights in the hospital. She yelped getting into the car but otherwise once home, she seemed to be improving. Good appetite, a few potty accidents indoors from the prednisone. She was taking 10 different medicines at scheduled intervals through the day and night.
By her 4th night home she started to go downhill. Wouldn't eat. I couldn't sneak a cheese or turkey wrapped pill in to her. And when I tried to handle her jaw to gently pop a pill in she screamed.
It was now New Year's Eve night. Vet offices would be closed on New Years Day. The local emergency clinic is fine for minor injuries but not for a dog in pain like Mazy.
I was able to reach one of my favorite vets by text and asked if we could bring Mazy to his office to be put down the next day. This wonderful man was driving home from a Florida vacation with his kids when he called me back and said yes.
Mazy had given me one last gift on her final night. After midnight she surprised me by getting up and wanting to go outside to pee. The firecrackers than normally had her terrified now had no effect. She walked slowly around the whole backyard and looked up toward the sky, sniffing. Taking one last memory of her yard and her life for the past 5 years.
She looked a bit lost again so I guided her back inside the house. We sat for the rest of the night, me rubbing her beautiful origami ears and she waking when I stopped. And so it went for hours.
On New Years Day we weren't the only clients waiting for Dr Martin to open up the office so we could say goodbye to Mazy. Another family was there with their elderly dog too.

Mazy left us gently, calmly and peacefully in to the new year.

49594253_2253593414965750_79704314727523

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am so very, very sorry your sweet girl had to leave you :( :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I am so sorry for your loss. Mazy was a beautiful and very sweet girl. It is heartbreaking to do everything possible to save a beloved dog and you cannot cure them. And your girl was so young. In her years with you she was supremely happy and content. Mazy knew she was in her forever home and was loved dearly.

Rest well sweet girl. You will be deeply missed. :f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Ducky, both you and MaZy fought for her to stay with you but sadly it wasn’t to be. She spent a special last night at home with you and I would like to think that when she went outside not only was she reminding herself of the good life she shared with you but also that she was gazing up at the stars looking for all the brothers and sisters that she helped you care for and telling them to be ready to meet her because she was too tired to continue the fight any longer.

God speed beautiful MaZy, run free with your family and WFUBCC friends.

Carol, Chancey and Nutmeg.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I've always had a soft spot for Mazy because she reminds me so much of Sweep (though Mazy's spectacular ear-dos were all hers). I am so sorry you didn't have more time together. You did everything you could for her. Many hugs.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I am so sorry. I know she had such a wonderful life with you. She was much too young. RIP Miss Mazy.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful girl and way too young to leave. Godspeed Mazy. You were well loved.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

:weep I am so sorry. My heart is breaking for you. Your tribute was very moving. I picked up on sooo much love energy from what you said and the pictures. It seems it was just her time but the both of you were covered and wrapped up in the tremendous love you shared. And as I'm sure you know she will be with you always. Even in the hell of grief love wins.

Until we meet again..
You say that all you have left are memories but this is not so.
You see, when I took leave of my earthly body I left a little something behind for you.
You can't touch it, hold it or examine it, for what I left behind is far too uninhibited for confinement.
I left in your tender care a piece of my soul.
I placed it right next to your own which is quite fitting as we were always side by side in our earthly life together.
I love you too much to have left you with nothing but memories that tend to fade and grow cloudy as the years go by.
I love you too much to have vanished without a trace. How selfish it would be of me to remove love and light from your life.
I understand your tears, each one you shed is testament to your love for me and I am honored and humbled.
But don't forget the good things we shared - remember and smile. This is an honor for me as well.
When you need me I will be here.
Close your eyes, relax, take slow, deep breaths and picture me in your mind.
Shut off the world and your notions of what you think death is and give me a chance.
Look for the subtle signs I send you.
Don't stop being proud of me, I am a friend to be proud of, I am still your friend and soul mate.
Don't memorialize the death of my body but instead honor and celebrate my never-ending life for it is eternal
and forever as is my love for you.
Until we meet again...
(Only part of a very long heart felt poem by Terri Oronato)

:f_red:f_pink:f_red

For love is as strong as death,
Many waters cannot quench love,
Nor can the floods drown it.

Song of Solomon 8:6-7

I am so sorry you lost your sweet Mazy. She sure looked happy with you! I am so glad that you were able to give her a good home, but I know that doesn't take the pain away from what you are feeling now.

gallery_17856_3310_663.jpg

Isabella and Bunny da Kitteh, Angel Kitty da Hownd, Angel Cocoa, Angel Bodhi, Angel Cali, and Angel Remy

Ducky,

I'm so sorry that Mazy had to leave. She was beautiful and obviously had her "special" moments based on the pictures you posted.

Run pain-free Mazy. I'm sure that Rocket and his pals will show you around up there. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Ducky, that is such a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl. You gave her the best life and the best care that a houndie could dream of. Thank you. :f_white

Run Free Mazy! :gh_run2

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Those photos tell the story of a girl who loved her life and could not have been more loved. Mazy landed right where she was meant to be. My heart just breaks that she wasn't able to stay longer with you. Ducky, I am so terribly sorry. :grouphug

Godspeed Mazy. Thank you for the last gift you gave your mom, that moment outside, the two of you together. :heart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I just finished reading your beautiful tribute on Facebook. :unsure

What a lovely girl she was, destined to be yours and welcome in the seniors you have taken in over the years.

She will be sorely missed.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound