Calvin Lee (Cg's Revenge) 5-19-2005----5-23-2018

queenwinniesmom

I was drawn to Calvin for all the wrong reasons. First, I saw his picture on Greytalk. Second, he had the large, liquid brown eyes and fawn coloring so much like my angel Nick. Third, we already had 3 dogs, and weren't looking for a fourth. But I had fallen in love online. Kristin, who had his mother, Meana, had learned that he had been on a farm in Florida for some time, and she brought him to her home in VA. In posting on Greytalk about her adventure, she included his beautiful picture, and I was smitten. I knew it wasn't a good idea to fall for a dog I hadn't met, but for some reason, I typed in the fateful question---"Is he cat safe?" Well, yes, he was, and soon Lisa from Grey's Landing had brought him to us, and he was standing in our back yard. "He's only a foster", I told Doug. "He needed to get off that farm in Florida. He's 5 years old, and he's traveled a long way, and he's looking for a home. Not ours, of course. But isn't he beautiful?"

He WAS beautiful---classy, elegant. In April 2007 at Wheeling Downs, he had been the WVGOBA Juvenile Champ. But he was also quirky, stubborn, sometimes snarky, and a big goofy guy. He was a lady's man, devoted to his 3 sisters, but never fond of other males. Several times, he got into the face of the wrong boyhound, and acquired a couple scars as souvenirs. He was mostly silent, and mostly lazy, except when demanding to be left out of his crate after eating, or when he knew food was around. At those times, he was pretty loud, and pretty fast. Though he would often complain if someone intruded into his space, he loved traveling in the Calvin Car, the Kia Sedona we bought after we adopted him. Yes, Doug gradually realized that Calvin had never ACTUALLY been a foster dog. But by that time, the big guy had grown on him, and it was his idea to adopt him. He went to many Greyhound events---Dewey Beach, Gettysburg and Grapehounds (his favorite). He was at every reunion picnic, and won first place in the My Dog Will Eat Anything contest---I believe the tie breaker was pickles. At one Grapehounds shortly after we'd adopted him, we visited the Syracuse Farmers Market where he and his sisters did a mini Meet and Greet, and were invited to the Watkins Glen Speedway to watch the Porsches race. He was especially good with the young children he met, and seemed fascinated by the Porsches speeding around the race track. It was that year that we decided that his middle name was Lee, and 2 of his favorite things were fast cars and babies. After food, of course. And his sisters. When over 6 months, we lost Polly, Tess and Lydia, we were devastated, and knew Calvin would not be happy as an only dog. Luckily, Angie came along, then Kiva, then Laila, and the big guy had his harem back. By that time, he'd mellowed in his old age, and wasn't as snarky about male dogs and space invasion. But his relationship to Kiva was special. He let her share his beds, let her put her head on his back, something he had never done. He sure loved his little sister.

Some things he didn't love were getting his nails trimmed, spending more than a few minutes in the crate, and our evil steps. 23 wooden outside steps (we live on the second and third floors) are intimidating for a lot of dogs, but Calvin did them stoically. As he got older though, Calvin grew less and less fond of them. Maybe his old hips were bothering him, maybe he was remembering a few stumbles and near falls. But in the last few months, he gradually refused to go up or down those steps. He was iron clad in his refusal---NOTHING could persuade him, or make it easier, and we eventually gave up, and stopped trying. Pain meds didn't help, painting the steps different colors, trying a harness---nothing worked. But he seemed pretty happy, and on May 19th, turned 13, celebrating inside with steak, and being able to do his business on plastic and towels.

In the last weeks, he was going downhill. He was in the beginning stages of kidney failure, and becoming really weak in the hind end, acting confused. We felt like we were losing him. On May 22nd, he went down and couldn't get up. We knew he was telling us it was time to say goodbye, so we made an appointment for his vet to come to the house on May 23rd. We wanted him to have a good day, so of course, it involved food. We'd been blessed that Calvin had never had any major health problems, and had never, ever turned down a meal. On Wednesday, he had bacon and scrambled eggs for breakfast, and a big, juicy steak for lunch. That afternoon, with his head in my lap, hearing me tell him for the last time how good he was and how much we loved him, he slipped away peacefully. We miss him so much, and picture him in the small moments we took for granted---hogging his Dad's bed, racing into the kitchen to clean up the cat food bowls, jumping up and down when he heard the word "walk". He was unique but predictable, annoying and endearing, a tough guy with a tender and loving heart. He was our good, good boy.

33501321_10212311675443183_5954081920852

26195410_10211373960840904_2108582191990

33599550_10212311469798042_6499937685392

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I just found this---Calvin watching the Porsches race at Watkins Glen. :beatheart

13412124_10206978868486342_8841907029231

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Run In Peace across the clouds in your new glitter wings Calvin. You are missed by so many............

{{{HUGS}}} Nancy!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am so very sorry :( :( :cry1 :cry1 what a special and much loved boy Calvin was. Sending Hugs.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

You know he's thinking in that Porsche picture, "I could take 'em."

Farewell, you good, good boy. :grouphug to your family and all who love you

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

So very sorry for the loss of your sweet Calvin Lee.

Love that captures the heart and touches the soul remains forever. Hold the special memories close to your heart.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Unforgettable.

Godspeed, special boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How blessed you all were Nancy, you and Doug, and your good, good boy. I'm so sorry it was Calvin's time. The ramp to Hebben was lined with glitter, lighting the way for your good boy. :grouphug

Godspeed Calvin. :angelwings

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your beautiful tribute brought tears to my eyes.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I’m so sorry for your loss of sweet, sweet Calvin. He will be missed by all of us who knew him.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.