Poop: What Do You Do With It?

For maximum exposure I was going to put this in Cute & Funny :lol Butt srsly, what do you do with the poop from multiple dogs? Aside from the "Pick & Flick" method and starting a pile in the woods (there's a pun in that somewhere), what do you do with it? 

Thanks!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Interesting question!  
Being very rural I have many places for disposal, but never given any thought as to what City Folk do with it!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

10 minutes ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Interesting question!  
Being very rural I have many places for disposal, but never given any thought as to what City Folk do with it!

Thanks N! 

7 minutes ago, Beachbum1 said:

Picked up each morning with a poop rake.  Deposited in a galvanized 6 gallon covered  container, with a kitchen bag liner.  Once a week, I double bag the poop, and then put it in the regular garbage can for pickup.  

Thanks M! I suspect this is the method that a lot of non-rural folks use. I wonder tho about those not totally "pickupable" piles when a bag or paper plate is needed. Did I just address my own concern? :lol

We will be rural and I just need to decide how to handle this, so to speak.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Another city person who double bags it.

We will be rural

Have you found a permanent Camp Greyhound II, or just proactively planning? 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

It goes in the municipal trash. For the not easy to pick up stuff (Wiki has hooks, I have lots of experience with that) I just do the best that I can and weather takes care of any remains.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Tiger mostly poos on walks, fortunately. The bags can then go into special dog poo bins/ other public litter bins depending on where we are walking. If he does poo in the garden at home that gets scooped and double bagged to await our next walk.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

My yard is large and fenced, but I also own 12 feet of property behind the fence. Poop gets tossed over the corner of one back side (pun intended).

If, however, when scooping said poo I see the raised fist of an angry dung beetle who is upset because I have removed his/her poopsnack, I give directions to where they can find it. 

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

1 hour ago, Jerilyn said:

It goes in the municipal trash. For the not easy to pick up stuff (Wiki has hooks, I have lots of experience with that) I just do the best that I can and weather takes care of any remains.

Same here.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

With 3 dogs here now we have no lack of it. We have Cash For Gold places on every corner but no Cash For Poop places. 

We also bag it and it goes into the regular trash collection. For the stuff that can't be bagged we just hose it down until it's gone. We are fortunate that we can leave the hose on year-round, but when we lived in the snow belt I would just take a bucket of hot water from the faucet and wash down anything that couldn't be picked up. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

First, you should contact your local garbage company and find out how they would prefer you dispose of larger quantities of dog waste.  Double-bagged in the regular trash is usually the best way.  Don't even bother with those in-ground "septic" systems.  If you have more than one large breed dog the amount of waste is too much for those systems to dispose of, no matter what they promise.

We are lucky to be able to use this service in our area.  It began as a local company here in Portland and has grown and grown.  Several years ago it was bought by a national pet store  - Mud Bay.  So there may be some options for you in the future.  And I feel so much better knowing that 5 gallons of poop aren't going in the landfill every week (when we had 6 dogs it was 10 gallons a week! :eek ).

GreenPet Composting

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Doody Calls is another option, to have someone pick it up for you. An empty dog food bag makes a splendid outer bag for the big poop bag.

Maybe a little clumping kitty litter for the less solid poops?

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I would police the yard daily, storing the "collection" in a kitchen type can lined with a trash bag.  Once a week, the bag went out with the trash.  Since I put the trash out on Thursday for Friday collection, the day before Friday became known as Turdsday :D

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

When I had multiple pets I used a plastic grocery bag. Daily, first scoop the litter boxes, then pick up after the dogs in the yard, then tie off and put in the regular trash. Kitten litter works great for loose/runny dog poop if you can leave it for a little while so the litter can absorb the liquid. Used kitty litter is also a great place to deposit old prescription meds :) 

Our dog yard is double shredded wood mulch, so pick up is easy.  I used poop bags in the yard, so the garbage can that it is placed in, basically stays clean.  I change the bag every week, when I take the garbage out to the curb.  For walks, I used plastic t-shirt bags.  All of our dogs poop right into the bag.  Sometimes people applaud, but I am good neighbor.  I just place the bag under the dog when they squat.  Once in a while, I get surprised and am not ready, but you pretty much know your dog's body language.  I put all those bags in a sealed garbage can next to the robo cans and put those bags out with the garbage, too.  Seems like I have a lot of garbage cans, doesn't it?

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Before we moved we used dedicated spots over the fence. Since traveling, we have used poop bags that then go into a metal trash can lined with a garbage bag and I take that to the landfill once a week. We will probably do a combo of both once we get settled.

Thanks for all the great replies!

I'm in the bag it and put it in the bag-lined garbage cans we then take to the landfill.

About a year ago I got all excited about using worms to breakdown dog waste.  Read all about it on British web sites...and then learned that I couldn't use that method because the heart worm meds necessary in the US also killed composting worms. :weep Such disappointment!

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Anything done in the garden gets scooped into larger plastic bags of any description and tied off goes in the fortnightly household refuse collection. Walking around the estate I use purpose bought poop bags, sliced bread bags or any smaller sized bags I can get my hands on. Like Clare they go into local Council supplied special dog poop bins or normal rubbish bins. Up in the forest it is “stick and flick” so very little is left on a path for children to run through.

Really sloppy “gifts” I just collect as much as possible and any remains wait to get washed away or disposed of by any wildlife that would enjoy it!

That reminds me, I must go and put the bin out ready for tomorrow morning.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:00 AM, Jerilyn said:

:nod :nod :nod 

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

I pick up each time after all 3 dogs.  I have beige carpet and hate poopfoot and I have a small yard.  They all manage to step in that one spot, so I clean up immediately.  I do use poop bags and put them in the regular garbage can on pickup day usually in a dog food bag, chewy box, or whatever grocery bags are left over.  I keep a pail with dirt in it for loose, runny poop.  I just cover the mess up, then pick up with a garden trowel.  If it's warm weather I can just rinse afterwards. Most of the loose stuff gets kind of soaked up in the dirt.  When Candy had squirms,  I put up an ex-pen for her to potty.  Then I rinsed with water and dish soap. 

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

toss it over the fence into a yard waste compost pile that is adjacent to illegally parked commercial vans. hopefully the drivers will step in some as they get into their vans. i do layer some lime into the compost during the warmer months.

prior to the invasion of commercial vans i used to bag it and send it out w/ the trash. but i just can't tolerate the line up of commercial vans and the police do bupkas! (commercial cars/vans need to be parked in a driveway).

occasionally i have good aim and hit a window!

That's awesome. I bet they wonder what bird makes those size craps. :rofl

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

One of the things I disliked about moving to Florida and a "neighborhood" is having to use single-use plastics to pick up a biodegradable product.  I reuse grocery bags but as I tend to use totebags, there aren't many of those.  

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

49 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

We got more snow than I expected and I can't find the poops that are in the backyard. They are now lost until probably March.  :lol:

:lol: Ruh ro