Allie (Keeshond)

Fruitycake

We had to say goodbye to Allie this morning after she had some sort of neurologic episode that made her unable to walk or control her bowels. She has been failing slowly over the last few few years, which started when she was put on prednisone for a miserable six months, and her world had shrunk drastically in the past year. She was a nervous dog, which got worse as her hearing and sight failed.

In her prime she was an athletic dog, jumping up to four feet to the top of a neighbor's retaining wall after squirrels (or in memory of squirrels), chasing anything that moved away (squirrels were a favorite, but rabbits, birds, and tumbling leaves were also fair game), ready for a game of 'chase the greyhound' in my friend's backyard when we brought them over, and always wanted to walk for miles and sniff the next sniffs - especially if Monty was sniffing it first. She was smart as a whip, and knew her 'left' from her 'right turn' or 'straight on,' a 'wait' from an 'ok' understood that she was the 'lie' dog while Monty should 'down.' Until recently our joke was that she had a perfect GPS that made her unable to get lost, because she was always able to steer us home again no matter how far we walked her. She loved every member of the Hound group that she had ever met, and yet hated three (non-Hound) neighborhood dogs with a fiery passion that never wavered.

She earned the nickname 'Princess Pushy Pants' (shortened to her alternate name of Pants) within days of arriving at our home and proving that she was not good on a leash...unless 'good' translated into 'good for strength training of one or both arms' or 'wants to be a sled dog.' And she absolutely loved the snow. And leaves. And catching mice and voles. And chasing squirrels and bopping them on the butt with her nose when they thought they were safe to stop and scold her from six feet up a tree (when she was on leash). Thank heavens she didn't think to actually grab them, because I would have been a mess of panicked squealing on my end of the leash. She did have a couple of other hilarious squirrel-watching accidents while walking, too: multiple times when I walked her she would be watching a squirrel instead of watching where she was going and walked right into a snowbank taller than she was. I did prevent her from running into more solid barriers, but letting her plow into the snowbanks was too tempting since there was little chance of injury...and much hilarity to be had.

She was a carrier-of-things, and would greet you at the door with something in her mouth...and my family still laughs at the time all she could find was a store receipt but she dutifully managed to pick it up and met them at the door with it in her mouth, all grinning eyes and wiggling butt. She liked to rearrange our shoes in the house, so we often would need to wander everywhere asking her where she had put them *this* time. Long ago we bought and framed a painted tile which seemed to be made with her in mind: "I have information pertaining to the whereabouts of your shoe."

It is sad to look back at all of the cute, funny, and core characteristics that had disappeared over the past couple of years. I will try to remember those long-ago days when I think of her, because that was the true Allie Dog.

Farewell, Pants. We hope you had a good enough life with us.

(best guess ~January 2005-October 15, 2017)

" We hope you had a good enough life with us."

It sounds like she had a perfect life with you!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I'm so very sorry. Allie was clearly a very special dog.

Godspeed Pants.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

She clearly had the most wonderful life with you, and vice versa. I'm sorry she had to leave.

I believe that over the bridge, there is an inexhaustible supply of both squirrels and shoes.

Godspeed, sweetie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am sorry for the loss of your special girl.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

She had a great life with you! I'm sorry it was her time to go.

Godspeed Allie.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:cry1 I am so sorry :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can feel your love for her through your words.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

So very sorry for the loss of your special Allie.

Oh yes...What wonderful memories you made. Remember them ... and smile ...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Aw, your tribute brought smiles as well as tears. How well you understood your girl, and how you loved her.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Allie.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

She loved every member of the Hound group that she had ever met, and yet hated three (non-Hound) neighborhood dogs with a fiery passion that never wavered.

She was loyal to her pack and recognized its members :)

May your spirit run with the wind through the snow, sweet Allie-pants

PS: The receipt-in-mouth and shoe tile stories are hilarious

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter