Bea (Miss Design) 07/07/07-07/06/20

FiveRoooooers

One day shy of her 13th birthday, but really, that counts, amirite? We celebrated all weekend, knowing that Bea was not going to see those 13 candles. When the spirit is strong but the body betrays … :cry1

No photo description available.

Five and a half years ago, we had lost (Foster)Sweet just a month before when the call came asking if we could emergency foster another broodie. At that point it was My Three Sons (Paddy Mayhem, Aiden, Andy) with whom I needed to consult …. arrangements were made …

Miss Design ran all 73 of her recorded races, including A and AA, at Tri State. She was a good little runner until the devastating break of her right hind leg. The break was repaired, and Miss Design was retired to life as a brood mom. One litter of eight is recorded and all but one of her babies went on to either so-so or fabulous racing careers. More later about those babies.

A local adoption group had received a request from a family looking for a very special dog. Mom, dad, and three small girls wanted a sweet, first dog they could love. The group did a thorough vetting and matched the family with Miss Design, who by now was 7.5 years old and had been languishing on the farm in West Virginia. The hauler brought the old girl to Connecticut and after her extreme makeover she was delivered to her new family who had promised to take care of her and love her forever. Ten days later they announced that they didn’t really want a dog after all and Miss Design had to leave that very day. It was January and Connecticut was in the midst of a nasty ice storm. I had agreed to foster but the roads were awful and we said lets wait until morning. The family was adamant that the dog had to go and they somehow got her to a veterinary clinic and dumped her. The next morning, the group’s rep picked up Miss Design from the clinic and we met to make the exchange. I was relieved that there was no immediate connection with the dog, just nothing really, she was so confused and shut down, as well as the fact that she was too young to apply for camp enrollment. I figured that foster failing wasn’t going to be an issue. https://forum.greytalk.com/topic/311699-looking-for-my-forever-home-no-srsly/?tab=comments#comment-5792294

Less than two hours after arriving at Camp Greyhound CT, the hound fka “Abbey” now “Bea” was in her element. It was as if she walked in, took stock, and said “Oh thank goodness, you have greyhounds here!” She worked her broodie magic on me and thanks to Sweet, who had been Broodie Baptism by Fire, I had some clue! But I did not want another dog and talked up Bea at every possible opportunity. Meanwhile, she was quietly doing a number on me and two months after our initial “Gotcha” I was toast we made it official and welcomed home Broodie #2/Camper #13. https://forum.greytalk.com/topic/312741-oh-fish-ually-toast-and-jam/#entry5816307

Bea was lame on that repaired leg and x-rays showed the impressive hardware in her hock. There was also a nasty corn on that foot. She would often blast around the yard on three legs and I remember commenting that she was either not in real pain or extremely stoic. As we would later learn, Bea was one incredibly stoic old brood. We started her on a medical cocktail that would continue throughout her life, as well as periodic x-rays to monitor the hardware. The corn continued to harass her up until the last two or so months of her life when it stopped growing; we suspect that may have been due to her altered gait as she grew older and other parts of her body began to compensate.

Our vet still cannot get over how stoic Bea has been. Was it just Bea herself, or having been a brood? One of our most memorable accounts is the time Bea ran from the far end of the front yard up to the front door where I was standing. And broke her toe. A sound I will never forget. Bea! Barely a limp, never a gasp nor the GSOD, nothing. If I hadn’t been standing there to witness it, I wouldn’t have known. The x-ray, however, was remarkable. Bea would have nothing to do with any idea of splinting, we made it worse by trying and gave up to let her deal with it. And she did. Stoic Bea.

A few years ago, an email arrived from strangers who wondered if I was the owner of “Miss Design” because they had adopted one of her babies! Thus began a wonderful friendship between families when we reconnected momma Bea and daughter Polly. There didn’t seem to be much recognition between them, just two dogs who liked each other and were content in each other’s company. Polly, and then their second hound, Crunch, stayed with us a few times when the family traveled and we had the best times! Bea did like to yell sometimes, we can’t forget that :lol Must have been that broodie thing.

No photo description available.

Some favorite Bea-isms are her talent with a water jug, her finesse with landskraping, and her Gold Medal “10” roach efforts: https://forum.greytalk.com/topic/313468-bea-is-on-it/

Bea was a ferocious nester: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFgznESztkU , and catcher of berds: https://forum.greytalk.com/topic/314758-not-really-c-f-but-the-door-was-open/?tab=comments#comment-5862039

But she may best be remembered from her favorite season: Autumn. Autumn meant apples (spoiler: just under 4 minutes to destroy all evidence) … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIvOTyzLWJY  and pumpkins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGXM8baHZ-Y  Oh how she loved both decorating with and eating a mini-jack! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJslnmYiFpE

Our dear friend Bea :kiss2. Her passing was quick, without fuss, stoic right to the end. Five years and six months. No matter the amount of time with which we are blessed, it is never enough. We just want them to stay forever. Momma Bea, broodie #2, camper #13, born 07/07/07. How lucky were we to have been your caregiver, thank you for that. Godspeed sweet girl. :beatheart

On my way home from the clinic, this was playing and it's the first time I'd heard it. Bea's song.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Bea, you were truly one of a kind. That family has no idea what they missed. I can't pass a Jack-Be(a)-Little pumpkin and not think of you and smile. Run free and fast, sweet Momma.

Jan and the campers, we hold you in our hearts.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

On 1/20/2015 at 6:35 AM, FiveRoooooers said:

This little girl is going to make someone's home so bright  :beatheart

And so she did. :heart Rest well, beautiful Bea. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

What a great story.  She was right where she Bea-longed.  :f_white

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

There is no magic like Broodie Magic.  Once you've experienced it, you just know that it's with you forever. 

Run-free Miss Bea. When you run into Rocket up there, tell him that you are his sister from another mother (they are both Dodgem By Design kids)  and that I said to show you where the pumpkin fields are.  Love you sweetie.  :f_pink

:grouphug to Miss Jan and the Campers. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

When Bea arrived at Camp Greyhound she knew she was home.  You have given her such a wonderful life.  So many memories of a very special broodie as she slipped into becoming a permanent Camper.  When the Fall comes I'll picture Bea munching on her favorite apples and mini-pumpkins.  Rest well sweet Bea.  My thoughts are with you and the Campers.  :f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I am so sad and sorry to read this.  Maybe Miss Bea can keep our little Shine company.  I am sure that they could be greyt friends.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm sad to read this beautiful tribute to Miss Bea, but also found a few smiles.  She had a wonderful life as a camper.  True to a broodie, she knew she was home before you did. 

Run with the angels Miss Bea.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

One of my favourite Mary Oliver poems ...in memory of your sweet Bea...

The Little Dog's Rhapsody In The Night

He puts his his cheek against mine

and makes small, expressive sounds.

And when I'm awake, or awake enough

he turns upside down, his four paws

in the air

and his eyes dark and fervent.

"Tell me you love me," he says.

"Tell me again."

Could there be a sweeter arrangement? Over and over

he gets to ask.

I get to tell.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

:f_whiteI am so sorry for your loss - but what a wonderful life you gave her. Run free, sweet Bea! :gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

My deepest sympathy. The broodies find their way so deep into our hearts! She will be with you always :beatheart. Her love will always emanate from  your own heart now-where she left a little piece of her soul.

Until we meet again..
You say that all you have left are memories but this is not so.
You see, when I took leave of my earthly body I left a little something behind for you.
You can't touch it, hold it or examine it, for what I left behind is far too uninhibited for confinement.
I left in your tender care a piece of my soul.
I placed it right next to your own which is quite fitting as we were always side by side in our earthly life together.
I love you too much to have left you with nothing but memories that tend to fade and grow cloudy as the years go by.
I love you too much to have vanished without a trace. How selfish it would be of me to remove love and light from your life.
I understand your tears, each one you shed is testament to your love for me and I am honored and humbled.
But don't forget the good things we shared - remember and smile. This is an honor for me as well.
When you need me I will be here.
Close your eyes, relax, take slow, deep breaths and picture me in your mind.
Shut off the world and your notions of what you think death is and give me a chance.
Look for the subtle signs I send you.
Don't stop being proud of me, I am a friend to be proud of, I am still your friend and soul mate.
Don't memorialize the death of my body but instead honor and celebrate my never-ending life for it is eternal
and forever as is my love for you.
Until we meet again...

(Only part of a very long heart felt poem by Terri Oronato)

:f_red:f_pink:f_pink:f_red

Sweet Bea, you gave so much joy and love. You will never be forgotten.

So very sorry for your loss of this fine girl.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

BEAutiful Bea was probably why it took you so long to figure out what she already knew - My Three Sons needed a mother figure and she was ON IT.  I am so very sorry that it was her time to go.  We have an apple thief here - I wonder if pumpkins will be safe.

Rest well, Sweet Bea.  Send your mom a sign as I am sure she could use one right now.

Hugs to you, Jan, and your campers who are probably lost without their Boss Momma. 

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

So sorry to read that your beautiful Bea had to leave you. Thank you for sharing that wonderful story of how you brought her home and of the happy life she shared.    Run free and full of health Bea in the new life that's yet to come.

:f_white

How lucky Bea was to find herself at Camp Greyhound for the best years of her life. She was one of a kind.

Hugs to you, Miss Jan, as you mourn her loss. :heart 

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Miss. Jan we ar sending Likky kissis to awl ov yu att da Camp.

Chancey and Nutmeg Xx

and luv frum Mum.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I'm so very sorry your beautiful Bea had to leave you :( :( but what a wonderful life she shared with you for 5 years.  :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

The poems :beatheart the puns :lol: :beatheart the support :beatheart , I am truly grateful. That anyone takes time to read and respond means more to me than you could ever know. Thank you all so much. :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.