Pc Gilly Boy-Iu 10/8/2007 - 10/7/2017

racindog

I am gut sick. I have lost a greyhound-even 2 within 3 days- suddenly- and I know how that is. But it has always been due to some sort of uncontrollable health issue or incompetent vet. But yesterday my precious and beloved Australian houndie Gilly Boy had to say goodbye -4 hours before his 10th birthday- due to a freak accident at the pet sitters where a heavy cabinet table that had treats in it in a top drawer had somehow fallen on him. The other hounds were thankfully OK. But Gilly was crushed, literally, and suffered and fought on for almost 24 hours before the end. It was even a miracle that he made it to the evet as he was found bleeding and unresponsive with serious brain trauma, massive bruising, and a possible cervical spine injury as well. He looked like someone had beat him with a baseball bat or he had been hit with a Mack truck. Before that he had no issues other than a corn and a little arthritis. Seeing my hound in that condition I cannot even put into words-it’s like my heart was just finally ripped completely out. All I know is he was a very good boy and didn’t deserve to die that way. I have always been exceedingly protective of my greyhounds that there really is nothing I wouldn’t do to protect them. And God help anyone I see being mean to an innocent houndie. And despite all my extreme efforts to protect them I was confronted with what has to be the most horrid of events. It was even worse than when my best little girl Cash collapsed paralyzed or when Bobber was sent home to suffer and die by an incompetent vet. And I want to state right now that Gilly Boy received the finest and most loving care available in the universe at the local Blue Pearl Vet Partners. I am confident that he received better care there than I would have received at a human hospital. What’s more they were most compassionate and loving and understanding. And they were quite skillful. The board-certified e-vet was waiting at the door when we arrived and did a beautiful job of stabilizing him despite the severe shock he was in. In fact, his bloodwork steadily even improved at first under his care. I considered it quite an accomplishment that he didn’t die right then as he was in such severe shock. He got Gilly back and gave him the opportunity for a miracle. And Gilly Boy……. WOW! what a dog….

hfr-dl_88__1_vwictk.jpg

hfr-dl_89__1_s95vwz.jpg

hfr-dl_85_0_d6pb1y.jpg

THIS was Gilly Boy-happily running and playing. He had great ball drive and loved to play ball every day.

Throw my ball!

DSCN0508_hpkkct.jpg

He mostly just ran around with it while I threw another one for my working dog but that is what he liked to do. I found it amusing that it was more ‘dangerous’ to play ball with him than with my working dog as far as accidentally getting bit went.

DSCN0514_yyoywe.jpgDSCN0515_n68nrl.jpgDSCN0513_awhhkz.jpg

And this was Gilly Boy playing in the snow:

DSCN0460_mtngzy.jpg

And this was Gilly Boy- a terrific hunter. My meat pot would never have been empty with Gilly Boy around. Rabbits were his specialty but one time I opened the door to find him standing there with a rat! It’s not a pretty picture so I didn’t include that one 😊.

catch2-2016_3_crop_lzqyv1.jpg

And THIS was Gilly Boy. My old broodie Momma Seabird was a champion rooer and would lead our dwindling pack in roos regularly. After she crossed we continued the after breakfast roo in her honor. Gilly had a great appetite and would eat 4 eggs, some sausage or beef, with toast or biscuits and a side of hash browns or grits. Sometimes I would forget our roo but Gilly Boy NEVER did. He would give me a special look and remind me and then we would have a grand roo. Even K9 Reba chimed in but she couldn’t roo so she barked instead. Before he left I thanked him for reminding me all those mornings and I promised him I would never forget again-because I knew it was true. He will be with me at every future home cooked breakfast. I take great comfort in that.

And this was Gilly Boy: Always helping others- dogs or human. In fact, when I first adopted him his foster Mom whom he so dearly loved told me about how Gilly had helped her dear hound Francine recover from some problems that no one else had been able to do. Here is a picture of them together, as they are now. I know they were sooo happy to get to be together again.....

Gilly_Francine2crop_s8xrf5.jpg

I had just lost 2 precious hounds Minny & Cash within 3 days of each other and was somewhat of a wreck with not even a whim of adopting another hound. But when I put on a face and went to the Bluegrass Greyhound Festival Gilly Boy was already there-looking for me! His foster Mom had let him speak with the animal communicator and he flat out told the ac he was looking for Donna- that I was the one he belonged with. Indeed, when I arrived and was told this I found it kind of kind of amazing but when we went off to talk together I knew that we HAD to be together. We were “pre-bonded” if you will. He never did tell me how or who directed him to find me but I suspect that my soul mate Slim may have had something to do with it. Slim had a prominent ridge on his skull and when I was trying to make sense of why this strange black hound picked me I ran my hand over his head to pet him and felt that same bony prominence and that was when I knew that we were indeed destined to be together. None of my many other hounds had that. In fact, his foster family had lovingly called him ‘the horned one.” So long story short after Gilly helped Francine he came to me to help me through the grieving process of having just lost 2 houndies.

Gilly was the most laid back dog I have ever known. This was Gilly who loved laying in the middle of the king size bed.

2015bedhog_kyndmv.jpg

And this was Gilly playing with his favorite stuffie:

100_3071_alzqbz.jpg

Nothing ever upset him. He got along wonderfully with everyone dog or human. Even when treated badly or even bit by other dogs he let it run right off his back and forgave instantly. However, he was not a wimp. He would on extremely rare occasions draw a line when the other dog would become abusive and that always ended it. He was utterly reliable and NEVER needed a muzzle. He is the only dog ever I can say that about. He had his AKC Title as a Canine Good Citizen too!!! I don’t know who taught him all the commands but he just knew them and did them-well. And this is a proud Gilly Boy and handler after earning his title:

GillyCG1_r6dp39.jpg

We went to many festivals and picnics and he always did well in the costume classes. He was irresistible. This is Officer Gilly providing security at our last Greyhound Festival we attended July 2017 in Shelbyville, KY.

2017GreytFest_11_crop_vucruv.jpg

Gilly loved his pet sitter and loved staying there when I was out of town. One day when I went to pick him up he seen me and tried to slip out the back door because he didn’t want to leave. The day I took him over there for this trip he kept following me around and was so worried I was going to forget him😊. It was truly the only place he ever wanted to go to. He didn’t like to go bye bye at all- I would have to catch him and take him to the vehicle-until he started visiting his sitters house. Then he was anxious to go and would wait by the truck door and even jump in when I opened it because he couldn’t wait to get there. He simply loved being there socializing with the other houndies and getting spoiled.. And THIS is a happy Gilly Boy in HIS special place there that he loved to hang out on-a cot!

2017June25c_oz4k0z.jpg

And this was Gilly Boy laying in the fresh warm laundry. He loved the fresh clean and nice smell, especially the lavender. I would actually let him know when I put a new load out so he could lay in it while I folded it up.

100_2381_tsnjgi.jpg

I used to joke with him about his big "man paws":

100_2468_ehie1n.jpg

And this is Gilly Boy demonstrating the requisite greyhound ETS. He also liked to roach.

DSCN0974_drfrdg.jpg

I am quite certain that Gilly will always be with me and that is the only way I have gotten through this. Before he left I told him to send me a sign so I knew he had crossed over safely. I told him Slim would be waiting on him (as he will also be for me) and so would so many others from our pack.

Imagine my relief and shock when only a few hours later I walked into the bedroom before bedtime and seen Reba the working dog laying in Gilly Boy’s spot on the bed! She had NEVER got in his spot before. In fact, she was always the LAST one to get into bed-NEVER the first. Sometimes she would initially patrol around the house while Gilly and I slept and then jump into bed later. Gilly was always on my left -taking up half the bed, and then Reba and I would have the other half. She would sleep near my feet on the right. But not only was she on the left in Gilly Boys spot but she remained there all night! I knew immediately it was Gilly Boy honoring my request to let me know he had crossed and was well. I am looking forward to continuing to share the rest of my life with my best loved G-Man. It HAS to be-just like the very first time we met-it was destiny. So happy together. Forever.

GB2012festivalstand_1_lxz2op.jpg

Donna, I am so sorry. :grouphug

Godspeed Gilly Boy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh my gosh, what a horrible tragedy. I can't even imagine. I am so very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your special Gilly Boy.

Love that captures the heart and touches the soul remains forever. Hold all those special memories
close to your heart.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I was shocked to see his name here. I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet boy.

Run free, Gilly and keep sending your Mom those signs. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

oh my God, Donna!!! :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 I am SO VERY, VERY SORRY!!!!! My heart goes out to you!!!! :( :( :( :( :(

sending love and hugs to you :grouphug:cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

What a tragic loss. I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, handsome.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh my heart...I'm so sorry for your loss of Gilly and in such a horrific way. I hope he continues to send you little signs to let you know he's watching and ok as you grieve his loss.

Run Like The Wind Gilly! :paw

I am so incredibly sorry. What a horrible shock and unbelievably unlucky accident.

Godspeed Gilly.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

To say that I am heartbroken for you would be such a huge understatement. Words just don't seem enough to ease your pain, to fill that enormous empty space in your home and heart. It seems impossible to wrap our minds around something so tragic, so senseless. Please be gentle with yourself. Mourn your beloved boy as deeply and for as long as you need to. He was clearly an exceptional dog, as beautiful inside as out. Know he was cherished, and happy in the best possible home. I hope in time, you will be able to find some comfort in knowing that he loved you as much as you loved him.

I'm so, so sorry you lost your precious Gilly.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• 11 months later...

Happy Birthday at the bridge Gilly! And THANK YOU for all the signs you sent me this past year especially the lovely flowers at Mountain Hounds and the THREE ladybugs Sunday night on the date that you crossed over. Give Francene my love as well. :beatheart

Happy Bridge birthday to your sweet boy. He was taken from you so unfairly.

sending hugs to you, Donna. :grouphug :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway