The End Of Another Chapter - Angie (Greyhound Pillow) 04/12/02-07/ 07/

Charlies_Dad

Yesterday we let our sweet Angie earn her wings and she was the last of our original pack. Many years and houses ago we had all non-Greys, a Dalmation, German Short-Haired Pointer, Rat Terrier and a Pug. Angie was our Pug, the most loving, sweet natured dog you would ever meet. For those who haven't had a Pug or don't like small dogs, Angie would win you over in a heartbeat. Pugs are truly furry clowns and will make you laugh whether it be their goofy pushed in face, their playful antics, or the way they communicate through whines, snorts and barks (if you want to call them that). Angie was "my girl" who we adopted from the help of a friend back in Ontario who found her in a cage at a SPCA on the South Shore of Montreal. As Pugs are human lovers, being in a cage surrounded by other dogs is not their thing, they crave human companionship. So she bailed Angie out and then called my wife Lynn and asked, "would Kyle like a Pug?". Would I??? Damn straight I would. First introductions were me accidentally standing on one of her paws and her squealing, I can still remember that day as I picked her up and put her on a picnic table to get a good look at her. It was love at first sight and she has been my companion all these years. She would travel with me on long drives and loved loved going on them, just me and her. One time while working with the US Navy in Virginia Beach I had to go back to Ontario, a 13 hour drive and Lynn suggested I take Angie along for companionship. Well what a trip it was, she started out on my lap and stayed their while I drove the 13 hours straight through and again on the way back. I could take her anywhere and she would not bark, growl, run away or turn her nose up to a friendly pat from a stranger. I remember the custom agents who normally do not smile as that is their job break into a huge smile when Angie would pop her head up and place her front legs on the truck's front window sill. One could not help smile at the goofy face.

Little Ang as I called her has been healthy her whole life with the exception of some eye troubles but that is part and parcel to have a Pug. Near the end of last year, her left rear leg seem to start to weaken and sometimes not follow all her others. This progressively worsened over the months to the point that leg would often be out at a funny angle or just be weak and drag a bit, I took her in for a look see and the vet did the standard test with the paws, flip them backwards and she of she could flip them the right way. Well the left rear she could not and the right rear took her effort. As the days and weeks passed both legs got weaker and we had her on Gabapentin hoping it may help, she was on some Medicam for her arthritis in her hips but I did not want to cause kidney issues as she was already showing some signs of elevated values. I took her for laser acupuncture, then water therapy and while it may have done some good, she got worse and worse. For the past couple months she has been dragging herself around as communication between her brain and her back legs no longer worked. I would carry her outside to do her business and sometimes when I got her up on three legs she could walk for a spell and then fall over. I would leave her outside to enjoy the sun and smells for a while but she would immediately start to bark in frustration and the fact her human was not close to her. On top of her rear legs, her sight had decreased significantly as well as her hearing so her world became very small and she demanded attention 24/7 anytime she was awake. The last weeks and days she spent sleeping probably 20-22hrs of the day with episodes at night where she would awake and cry out that her human was not close by. I would always lay with her while she drifted off to sleep and this happened once, twice or three times a night. I knew time was short and always promise my pups if anything no pain and no fear if at all possible and while the two things Angie still loved, food and love, were part of the quality of life I was having a harder and harder time every day and Lynn knew because of all the sighs I would let out after thinking about my little Ang. I picked up a cart for her and while she used it briefly and seemed to bring some freedom to her, her front legs started to weaken badly and it no longer worked. There is another type of cart I could have purchased but that would not cure her, would not truly increase her small world she had been forced into. See her spirit was willing but her body was failing and I felt like a torturer at times. I did not want to cause my sweet little girl any more frustration and with tears said my goodbye to a pup that is so dear to me and my best friend by far.

Likely you are asking yourself why the "Greyhound Pillow" in the title. Well for those that remember, I posted many pics here years ago when we had our Greys Charlie and Jack living in our RV and could always find Angie sharing a bed with them. They did not mind but also really took no notice of her and used her as a pillow whether it was to lay their head on or their feet. The pics were hilarious as Angie did not mind and often it was hard to maker her out with four legs on top of her and her matching the colour of he bedding. Those pics are on Photobucket and I cannot share them anymore unfortunately. I have tried in earnest to download my albums and while I get the zip file, it seems to be corrupted each time. Hopefully I will be able to get them as there are so many good memories there.

The goofy face that can't help but make you smile:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-Regular;}

{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}

\deftab720

\pard\pardeftab720\sl480\qc\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs40 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0

\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 18496055724_ac1dc8b9db_c.jpgUntitled by Kyley, on Flickr\

}

With her angel sister Peanut who tolerated her at best:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}

\deftab720

\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 18408068463_4b9a89c38c_c.jpgUntitled by Kyley, on Flickr\

}

Water therapy:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

\deftab720

\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 34859467473_ab5726d496_c.jpgUntitled by Kyley, on Flickr\

}

Enjoying the sun in her last days:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

\deftab720

\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 35499601812_47bc5fb884_c.jpgUntitled by Kyley, on Flickr\

}

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

\deftab720

\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 18285311183_18a50f8aaf_c.jpgUntitled by Kyley, on Flickr\

}

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I will miss seeing her in your pictures. Darling girl :wub: .

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kyle, I am so sorry for your loss. Who could resist that adorable face. Your connection with Angie was beautiful and heartwarming. What a loving and touching tribute to a very special pup.

Rest well sweet Angie. :f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Kyle, I am so very sorry to see this about Angie. The end of an era is real time point. I remember her loving photos with your boys and hearing her stories through the years, especially how much of a comfort she was whenever you and Lynn went through your losses. Angie was little but the hole she's left in your hearts is enormous. I am so terribly sorry. :grouphug

Godspeed Angie :f_pink

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest goofydog2

I'm so sorry to see your Angie in this forum. I, too, remember her with smiles as the boys used their 'greyhound pillow!' For a girl small of stature she delivered love and laughter in a large way. Godspeed darling Angie.

You are right---just from your wonderful pictures, Angie captured my heart. I've always loved pugs---from my uncle's many years ago, to clients at the vet where I worked---but have not had the pleasure of owning one. How blessed you were to have shared your life with this special little lady---a clown, a princess, a patient Greyhound pillow.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Angie.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Kyle, I am so very sorry for your loss of your most precious Angie. Your tribute so beautifully expresses the love you had for her and what she meant to you. I hope you are able to retrieve your photos from PB for they hold many a wonderful memory.

I do remember the many pictures of Charlie, Jack and Angie sharing a bed. She made the cutest pillow for them.

:grouphug

I'm so very sorry. It's always hard to lose a precious dog, but the "last of the originals" is especially poignant.

Godspeed Angie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Godspeed to your gallant little girl.

How fortunate you all were to find each other. And how hard it is to part.

:grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Oh Kyle...I am so very sorry you had to say goodbye to your special little girlie.

What wonderful memories you made together...remember them and smile....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg