Tz Ziggity Boom Aka Ziggy 4/7/03 - 6/26/17

Dawnnziggy

It has been a rough week. We had to say goodbye to our sweet old man. He was 14 and his death was a shock. Just 5 days ago he was playing diggity-diggity and pouncing at his pal Dawson. He got sick on Sunday and by Monday we had to make that awful decision to say goodbye to our friend, our baby.

He came home on a cool September day. I was totally shocked when my DH wanted to adopt him on the spot at our greyhound reunion. He was huge compared to our girl and as sweet as ever. I slept in the living room with him for a couple of nights. On the second morning I woke up and I couldn't find him. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and was surprised to see him laying on the sofa! Our female would never dream of getting on the furniture. From that day on, he was a sofa dog. We even bought a day bed for him. LOL He would have been a better runner on the track if there had been a comfy bed at the end.

He was our second grey. We were a little worried about bringing him home because she was so aloof and we were worried that she would not accept him. He came in the house like he had always been there. We had two dog beds at that time. One was in the front of the living room and the other was in the back. We put that one in there because our female wouldn't come up in the front. He claimed the front bed. She watched him and learned how to be a house pet. She decided she wanted some of the attention and began to claim the bed in the front. It didn't matter to him, he just laid on the sofa. We took them to our local baseball field to let them run together. It was so funny! She was really fast! As big as he was we thought he would blow her away. WRONG! She flew like we had never seen her run. He would cheat and run across the center of the baseball field to try to catch up with her. He did that always. I told him to look for her in heaven and he could run zoomies and cheat again without any pain.

Soon after we got him, we came home and found the crate clear across our living room floor! I had given him a treat to get him to go into the crate and he didn't eat it. Our girl, Dawn who only weighed 50 pounds, had been trying to get the bone out by pulling on the afghan he was laying on. She never did get it but he was very upset. We never put him back in the crate after that. Nor did we ever use it again.

Another time when we got home, he was all bruised up. Dawn had side swiped him while playing. She was a terror on wheels. She loved to play and the rougher the better. He had tried to play with her but after that, he rarely did. He would pounce at her but he NEVER played with her.

He suffered from separation anxiety. He chewed up almost all of our wooden furniture. We bought that sour lemon stuff to try to dissuade him from the chewing but to no avail. After we would put the fresh stuff on it, he would go lick it off! When I got home from school one day, I found that he had pulled the back off of our love seat. I don't know how he did not get hurt as it was on with like a million staples. I got out a hammer and hammered them back in. He did do it one more time, but never like the first. All of that changed the day we brought hound #3 home from the greyhound reunion when Zig was 6. He didn't do anything destructive after that. We kind of wondered if he thought we were trying to get rid of him or something.

He had a lot of trouble with his eye. We were told he had pannus and we treated it for years! I realized it wasn't getting better and took him back to the vet. He said that it seemed like episcleritis. We used different medicine for a while and took him back every 3 months for the vet to recheck it and realized that he really had glaucoma. He referred us to the vet hospital at Ohio State. They recommended that his eye come out. For them to do the surgery was astronomical. Our vet did it much cheaper and he came through the surgery like a trooper. He was so much better after they eye was removed! He was the happy go lucky dog we had at the beginning. Our other male dog, Dawson, always walked on his left after that so he could see him.

He loved to be with his family. He liked riding in the car, McDonald's french fries, and ICE CREAM! I would have loved to have gotten him an ice cream cone before we took him to the vet, but he would not eat anything. He enjoyed going camping with us. We actually bought a camper so we could all go together.

When Dawn died he realized that Dawson wasn't so bad. He never played with him, but they slept together every night. Dawson would get him when it was time to go outside. Dawson told him when it was okay to let people pet him. He took his cues from Dawson. They were buddies. They did everything together. Then came Myrtle.

Myrtle wasn't even 2 when we got her. He was 10 when we got her, our little spitfire. She was ornery and full of life! She looked at Ziggy as her rival we thought. Now we know better, she looked at him like her Papa. She has morned like you wouldn't believe. She refused to come into the living room for the first 2 days. She always peed on his pee. She searches for him outside. It has been awful to watch her. She acted like he was in the living room, and maybe he was. Who am I to say that he wasn't. I know he was happy here so maybe he did come back. I would be happy if he did. That night, Dawson kept staring at the back of the living room too.

He was a great friend and smart as could be. Because of him, we had to spell lots of things. T-R-E-A-T, W-A-L-K, R-I-D-E, S-U-P-P-E-R, G-O, G-R-A-N-D-M-A, and there were many more but I can't think of them right now. I always held his paw. I called it holding hands. I held his hand as they put him to sleep, whispering how much I loved him in his ear. He loved to be whispered to.

I am sorry for such a long post, but 11 years worth of memories takes a long time. If you made it to the end, I thank you. If you didn't, I understand. I owed this to my precious friend. I will always love you my friend. It's so hard to say goodbye!

Absolutely loved your tribute and Ziggy's story. i'm so sorry that he had to leave.

Run pain-free, Ziggy. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Oh, your big, sweet Ziggy. I am so, so sorry. Thank you for sharing some of your beautiful memories of him.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

What a lovely tribute to a much loved friend. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Gentle hugs and peace to your grieving hearts. Run with the angels, beautiful Ziggy.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

A beautiful tribute to a very special boy. Hugs to you.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I'm sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful tribute. I'm sure he and Dawn are zooming around right now.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

We all mourn the loss the Greytalk dogs that we knew so well. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Beautiful tribute, they all have there own special ways about them. We love every unique thing about each and every one of them. Ziggy sounds like a sweetheart from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail.

Rest well good boy.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Your tribute is beautiful, and I suspect you could write another wonderful chapter about your dear friend. To make it to the age of 14 is an incredible gift, so many memories made together! As I was once told, Missing someone is a way of keeping them with us, even when they are not. I hope you find some comfort in that as you miss your dear Ziggy. :grouphug

Godspeed good boy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest goofydog2

What a wonderfully long time you were able to share with your beloved Ziggy. Your love for each other shines through and I know you will be able to cherish that love forever. Godspeed Ziggy.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He had a wonderful life with you, didn't he? You appreciated him for his incomparable self.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How blessed you were to have shared your life for 11 years with a dog who was truly meant to be part of your family, in every way. No wonder you will miss him so much, and no wonder you still wish for more time, and more precious memories. I'm so sorry you lost your sweet Ziggy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

So very sorry for the loss of your Ziggy.

He had a wonderful life with you and what wonderful memories you made together.

Remember them and smile....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.