An Unfortunate Update On Sadie Rose - Final Update in Post #1

Sadie Rose had to be returned to the adoption group after she made an unprovoked attack on Petunia this morning.  

Without going into too many details, I heard Petunia scream from the next room and found Sadie Rose making a full-on attack on Petunia. Petunia has a large hole in the skin of her cheek and a similar hole in the skin of her shoulder.  Fortunately I was able to get her off of Petunia before it became a total bloodbath.

Petunia is currently at the E-Vet being sedated and having her wounds cleaned and stitched up. She is doing okay and surprisingly jumped right into the car to go to the E-Vet, and walked without hesitation  into the building with the Vet Tech.  The Vet says they are all in love with her. 

I just wanted to let everyone know that Sadie Rose did not work out, and hopefully will find a great home where she is a happy only-dog. Turning her over to the group brought tears to my eyes, but we need to do so for Petunia's protection. 

UPDATE - 6:25 PM AZ Time

Petunia is home from the E-Vet and is heavily sedated.  The wounds were a little deep and even though she was there within 90 minutes, pockets had started to form in the wound.  She was sedated, wounds cleaned and she was stitched up.  The E-Vet did a fantastic job.  She is pretty much asleep with her eyes barely open, but I asked if she was a Daddy's Girl and those eyes popped wide open to see me next to her. She has had a very rough day including the attack, shiny floors at the E-Vet and a rough ride home when the bed she was on slid while going around a turn.  Hopefully she will feel a little better each day now. 

UPDATE - Saturday Morning

Thank you all for the kind words and get well wishes for Petunia. She has no idea how many friends she has all over the world. 

Petunia had a fairly good night and is staring at me waiting for more of the delicious canned chicken that she loves, so that's a good sign.  She was really out of it last night from the anesthesia and started to move around at about 10PM in a very wobbly state.  That got better in the ensuing hours, and we were up at midnight, 2AM, 4AM and 6AM with her being better each time, and eating a little portion of canned chicken and a few treats each time.  She is already on her way back to "stubborn broodie mode" as she has stopped letting us put the warm compresses on her injuries like the vet ordered.  I can see there's going to be a lot of bribery going on to get her to comply. :lol  Thanks again everyone! The worst is over and now the healing starts. 

UPDATE - Sunday Afternoon

An update as requested.  Petunia had a very good day yesterday and slept pretty well last night. She was up a few times during the night but I think she was just trying to get comfortable between sleeps.  This morning we found a small soaked-in blood stain on one of the beds and found the lower portion of the face wound leaking a little blood. Nothing bad, but we sent some pics to the E-Vet and they had Petunia come by to be checked. They had her inside for about 5 minutes and said she is doing great. The stitches were fine and this was just a little leakage which they had warned me about. The wound location has sort of a skin flap that looked weird and we wanted to be sure that no stitches had come loose. All stitches were nice and tight so they sent us on our way.  The E-Vet has been fantastic to deal with.  

She is napping the day away today and I think Daddy is going to join her. She is largely back to her old self with the exception being that she doesn't have much of an appetite today.  That may be due to the medications so she can have a meal whenever she wants to eat. No set meal times today. 

At this point Chris and I are both kind of punchy and almost everything is funny. We have been sleep deprived all week because DW's Dad was rushed to the ER on Tuesday, admitted to the hospital and had a triple bypass on Friday. Petunia's attack took place about an hour into her Dad's surgery. Before that, I had 2 surgical procedures in 5 days and we had to get up at 3:30 AM for the surgery that I had on Monday.  We've both been up multiple times each night checking on Petunia.  I think we are both running on about 10 hours of sleep for the entire week. I just want to sleep. :lol

Petunia says thank you to everyone for all of the good wishes and for checking up on her. 

UPDATE - Wednesday 4/28

Petunia wants her friends to know that she is doing great and that she has learned the art of milking this for all it's worth. :lol

Our Vet came to the house this morning and checked Petunia's wounds to make sure they are healing well. There are still a few that need to drain a little more so we will be doing more warm compresses to help with that. One of them opened up yesterday and soaked 2 large surgical pads before it stopped, but that's what it needs to heal properly.  While the Vet was here, Petunia had a cold laser treatment to help all of her joints and back since she was kind of stiff from the attack and all of the associated handling at the E-Vet.  Then she had a blue laser treatment of the wounds to help them heal a little faster.  By the time that the Vet left, Petunia was feeling much better.   Stitches come out on 5/6 so she is looking forward to that. 

She has also learned that she really likes canned food and now turns her nose up at her regular food.  We are giving her the benefit of the doubt since one of the wounds is on her jaw line and it likely hurts to chew. At least that's what she's telling us.  Petunia - working the system. That's my girl. 

FINAL PETUNIA UPDATE - Friday 5/7

Petunia has recovered well from her wounds and had her stitches out yesterday.  The wounds look good and she says that her scars make her look badass, so other dogs will think twice about messing with her. :lol  We changed up her diet a bit to include some canned food that she loves, and she has actually dropped a little weight and has become more active. She looks "buff." We still aren't sure if she is going to be happy as an only-dog, so we will see how that goes over the next few weeks.  We have become aware of an older hound who needs a new home, but the decision will be Petunia's.  Petunia would like to thank everyone for the well wishes and the get well presents. She says she's ready for a beer and some fries. Broodies....

Sadie Rose is back with the adoption group and doing well.  She will be placed as an only-dog.  She has some special needs, so they will work to find her just the right couch. 

Edited by Time4ANap
Update
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

How frightening for all of you. Thank goodness greyhounds you were there and could intervene. The girls seemed to have been working out their living arrangements but apparently Sadie Rose had another plan; she blew it, but she'll find a spot where she can be top single hound. Sigh.

All of our best healing thoughts are with Miss Petunia, I hope she is going to fully recover in every way. Please give her hugs from the campers and me, as well as at least two for you and DW. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

How very scary for all of you! I hope Petunia is home enjoying french fries soon. Broodies are tough.

Returning Sadie Rose could not have been easy, but it was the right decision. She'll find her right place.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Sending hugs to all of you after that sad and scary incident. Sadie Rose will land in the right place, and I'm so glad Petunia is feeling well enough to charm everyone she meets. Hope she recovers swiftly and completely. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Although it was a rough way to learn it, at least now the adoption group know that Sadie Rose needs to be an only dog or may be OK with a male companion. Hoping Petunia heals quickly and forgets the incident soon.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Please let us know when Petunia is back home.  :grouphug   Hoping Sadie Rose finds a good fit somewhere.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Crap, I'm sorry. What a nightmare. I'm glad you were able to intervene quickly.

I hope Petunia heals quickly and well. Sadie Rose will be fine; I hope she soon has a new home.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• Time4ANap changed the title to An Unfortunate Update On Sadie Rose - Updated Post #1

Petunia :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry that this happened.    Poor Petunia!   I hope she  heals quickly and feels better soon.

I am sure that the adoption group will find the right home for Sadie Rose.    Such a difficult thing to do!    But being an only dog is probably best for her.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

What a frightening situation all around.  :grouphug  Glad Petunia is handling all this like a trooper. :kiss2  Sadie Rose will end up where she needs to be. I'm so sorry you humans had to face such a tough, emotionally charged crisis.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

{{{HUGS}}} for you and your wife Don.  What a completely scary situation!!!  Poor Petunia!!!  Lots of love coming your way!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

12 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Hugs to all, including Sadie.  

Yes - this is important.  Sadie was being a dog and did a dog thing. As mad as I am that it happened, I am only mad at "the incident" and not at Sadie.  I know if we ever see her again she will be all wiggles and cuddles with us and will have no idea that anything was wrong. We really want her to find a great home. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thank you for the encouraging updates! Petunia, you got this. Remember, broodies rule! (as if you could forget :lol ) :wub:

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug for your mom, dad and grandpa. What a week. Cletus would say Wot the flock! No more of that, k? 

Thanks for the great Petunia update!!!

{{{HUGS}}} and healing for you and your FIL, too!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh goodness, what a lot to deal with at one time. Hope *everyone* gets some much needed rest and recovers well. 

Re: wound healing, when Sweep first came home from her leg surgery, the e-vet told us not to put anything on her incision (no Neosporin, manuka honey, or bandages) and we also dealt with a little bit of seeping. However, after Sweep decided to try removing her sutures herself, rather than restitch her the same vet sent us home with Dermagel. I was blown away by the job it did, practically overnight. If you need a little extra to help Petunia heal, I highly recommend it.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart