Luka (Greys' Island Mocha) 5/11/05-1/19/17

lukasmom

MY LUKA 5/11/05- 1/19/17

You took my breath away the first time I laid eyes on you. I have never seen anything so beautiful. Your red brindle coat shined in the sun. Your face so black. I knew that very instant you belonged to me and me to you.

I adopted Luka at 22 months of age. He was my first greyhound. I watched him grow from a very shy fellow to the calmest, coolest hound around. Nothing fazed him. He accepted change with grace and beauty. As long as he had his couch, never ran out of cookies and could see his Momma life was as it should be.

Our love is so deep and pure. You have the kindest, most gentle soul. You have been an amazing brother to Scout, Peace and now Carter. You helped Peace and Carter start their new life as retired racing greyhounds. You have been the best brother.

You shared everything you had with your brother and sister. Even the thing you love almost as much as me, your cookies. You knew by sharing that I would never let you go without your cookie. Sandwich cookies are your passion, the real payment for working so hard at the meet and greets.

What stood out about Luka was his sweetness. People would pick up on that after spending just a few minutes with him. He was so gentle. He would walk up to people at the meet and greets as they looked for something on the shelf and he would gently touch their hand and wait for their response. He believed that everyone would want to meet him.

Luka smiled too. A new friend once came over to my house and Luka ran up to her grinning. She was afraid of this big dog showing his teeth. I told her no need to be afraid, he is smiling at you and is happy you have come to see him. She smiled back and said “he makes my heart sing.” That is my Luka. He makes my heart sing every day.

Luka was on the cover of the Celebrating Greyhounds wall calendar in 2010. I was so excited and proud to see his handsome face. He was in the Springtime Naturals catalog with his sister Peace. He appeared in our local papers a few times. He was my star. When he walked he had a bounce in his step. He was a very proud boy. I loved to watch him walk.

He was such a handsome boy with his bare butt. We won a trophy at Beach Bound Hounds for the barest butt in 2010. I was so proud of that! He was lean, he never gained more than a pound or two from his racing weight. Luka claimed it was because he was under-cookied.

Luka was a master napper. His arranging of his pillows was a work of art. He knew how to maximize his comfiness by using head and butt pillows. He loved staying at hotels because they had so many pillows on the beds. He would arrange them carefully and then get in the center of the nest he had created.

My Mom and I loved to watch him sleep and nap. His legs would be arranged in various poses and he looked so elegant. He was like a piece of fine art. It was so peaceful and calming to watch him slowly breathe as he rested.

Luka worked over 300 adoption events. He helped so many hounds find their forever homes. I beamed with pride when time after time people would say to me as they pointed to Luka, “ I want that one” to which I would reply “I’m sorry, he belongs to me. I would not sell him for a million dollars” and that was true. I made Luka a tag for his collar that reads: I RESCUED A HUMAN AND NOW SHE IS MY BEST FRIEND. Truer words were never written.

Luka was so kind and patient with small children, babies and small dogs. He would stand there surrounded by kids and let them touch him all over and he would not move an inch. He would look up at me as to say: Mom, really? and I would tell him what a good boy he was. I never had to worry about how he would react.

Luka was a world class traveler and together we went to places I would never consider nor had the courage to travel alone to. We went to Mountain Hounds, Beach Bound Hounds, Gem, The Shamrock Louisville festival and GIG. He loved staying in hotels and going to stores and restaurants. He loved meeting new people and hanging out with his greyhound buddies. I have so many wonderful memories from these trips.

Luka loved taking rides in my Jeep or the “comfy mobile” we called it. The back is filled with blankets and pillows. He did his best napping in my Jeep. He was my co-pilot and companion. Riding in the Jeep will never be the same.

Luka changed my life and my world. I have so many dear, beloved friends because of him. I can never repay him for all he has done for me. You gave me my purpose, my passion and my obsession- retired racing greyhounds.

Luka and I visited with many animal communicators who all told me Luka is an old soul. He has a generous heart which one communicator exclaimed, “I have never heard of that in a dog before. “ Luka said “a generous heart is a happy heart”. Luka had a very happy heart. Luka told me that we have been together for thousands of years in many forms and we will always be together in one way or another. That brings me comfort but does not dry my tears or heal my shattered heart.

I feel like I can’t breathe without you. I don’t know how to live without you. I knew this day would come but I prayed that it would not be so soon. Just a little more time, but it would never be enough. I will always want a minute more.

Luka, you have my heart and soul and I yours. I will spend the rest of my life missing you. I am so blessed to have found you. And no matter how many hounds come into my life they will never replace the special place in my heart called Luka, it is reserved for you and you alone.

I love you now and forever. Run free sweet boy and may you have an endless supply of sandwich cookies at the Bridge. Until we are together again I remain,

Your loving Momma- with a shattered heart,

Jan

That's a beautiful tribute to your special boy. Thank you for sharing that.

Run-free, Luka. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Jan, I am so very, very sorry your sweet Luka had to leave you :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so very sorry for your loss. You will always be lukasmom, and he will always be your boy.

Godspeed, Luka.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So very sorry for the loss of your Luca.

What a wonderful life he had with you.

Remember all the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest TexasGreytMom

Sending hugs to you the loss of your sweet baby boy. Perhaps Luka and our Shelby are playing together at the Bridge as they wait for us. Take care and please know that you're in our hearts.

Luka ...thank you for giving me a lifelong friend (my dear, dear friend, Janice). You shared your couch with Baby, even when she took the middle. You shared your cookies with RIley. Nothing fazed you ... not squawking birds, or chasing dogs, or squirrels or rabbits or skunks. You enjoyed every moment of your life with momma and the special chaos that made up your happy home.

We will all miss you, and I know you're watching over your momma (with Peace, and Scout and Rose). I'm so glad that you didn't suffer through a long illness, but we all miss you so very much.

Jan I am very sorry. Your Luka was and always will be a very special boy.

Run free Luka, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:f_white I am so sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful tribute you wrote for Lukas. He must have been a very special boy.

Run free, Luka! :gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

It is the worst thing to happen to us when our heart dog crosses the bridge. It tears us up when they are physical gone but still & forever in our hearts. HUGS to you

Edited by sabrina

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

That is one of the most beautiful and moving tributes I have ever read. The love really comes out. The wisdom that Luka taught you so well. I so identify with every one of the wise statements you made. They echo what my soul mate Slim taught me-both before he crossed, after, and currently. I understand completely how just the honor and blessing to have a dog like Luka come into your life is in and of itself kind of overwhelming. As you said you two will always be together-always and forever. And he will help you get through this no less than he would if he was still here in his earth suit. In fact as I'm sure you know they have even more power after they cross over. Thank you for sharing a glimpse into Luka's magnificence. Actually I'm thinking I probably had the honor of meeting Luka as my hounds and I went to EVERY Shamrock festival and was very active. I might very easily forget you the human but I rarely forget a houndie-especially the special ones like him. Hugs.

:f_red :f_red :f_red:grouphug

... if he wakes in Your arms...

by R. A. S.

I can hardly see through my tears... today I sent my best friend of years
and years somewhere he had to go, where pain and sickness he won't have to know.
He's been with me ever since he was a pup... today I've had to give him up.
He was sick, we both knew it and I wouldn't put him through it.

Thinking back to the day my wife brought him, I told her then that I didn't want him...
"Noise and mess and bills to pay!" - I can't believe I felt that way.
Didn't know that in the end, he would be my dearest friend.
Didn't know that he would be the greatest gift that came to me.

How did one like me deserve a friend who wanted just to serve?
What was there that made him love me, with nobody else above me?
When I looked into his eyes, never did he criticize,
never did he hold a grudge, never did he try to judge.

Recently, an anxious day. "How come you don't want to play?"
Took him to the vet to see what might be wrong with my "puppy".
Worse by far than I expected, fatal illness was detected.
Nothing much that we could do but keep him comfy til he's through.

Back at home I tried to tell him of the bad luck that befell him
All I could see in his eyes was wondering why his master cries.
I don't think he understood - his eyes just asked "Wasn't I good?"
"How come now I make you sad? Let me kiss and hug you, dad!"

Two last weeks I had to try to find a way to say goodbye.
In that time I told him more than I ever had before
just how much I loved my pup, how it hurt to give him up.
How though gone, he'd always be inside my heart, a part of me.

Then today was no mistaking, I made the decision, my heart was breaking.
I called and asked the vet to come by - I didn't have to tell him why.
He arrived in awhile and asked "Are you ready?" I sighed, I nodded, I felt so unsteady.
Got down on the floor by my boy who was dying, and I just didn't care if the vet saw me crying.

As my pup slipped away, the last things he felt were the kisses and hugs of his master who knelt
On that "blankie" beside him to bid him goodbye, who had just one more minute to tell him, to try
to say thanks to his boy for a lifetime of love.... "Dear God, let me see him in heaven above!
But for now Lord, please hold him, watch over his rest... if he wakes in Your arms tell him I love him best."

Please keep this poem in its entirety and attribute it to the author if you download it and use it in any way. Thank you.
Copyright © 1996 by R. A. S.