Nutty Meg or smart hound?

Lurcher Nutmeg has long legs. She slipped once on a slippery floor and has hated them ever since. 
She panics and scrabbles across them when really all she needs to do is walk gently. Then she found that walking backwards means that she doesn’t slip and slide so that is what she does. She walks backwards across my friend’s vinyl kitchen floor and sometimes across my dining room floor because she was dashing through and slipped once and now refuses to walk across there unless she thinks there might be a microwave meal dish to lick out.:chow

Until recently I kept a stair gate across the foot of the stairs but that’s gone now so she has taken to coming upstairs when I am up there. At first she came up them carefully but then got blasé and began to leap up them until one time very recently when I heard a scuffle and a thump when she must have missed her footing and slipped on the carpeting. The last few days her journey upstairs has been very quiet and today I found out why. She started off very carefully mounting the stairs until about four from the top when she moved herself around and came up onto the landing backwards!:o:lol: I’m guessing that she remembers where she slipped and has decided that she should do that bit backwards to avoid slipping again.

Do you think I have a nutty Nuttymeg or a genius?

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Genius!

Saint used to back in from the patio to the living room if there wasn't a run or towel for him to walk on. :rofl

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Only Nutmeg!!!!  :rofl

Though I might have to try that technique with Felicity going through doors!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Definitely a genius. :grad :gmark

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Nutmeg, Fuzzy would like to learn your ways! She is always going too fast on the kitchen floor at my mom's house and losing her grip.

And we need a video!!:wub:

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Genius!  And able to transfer what she's leaned from one situation to another.  Brilliant!  However, the mental vision of this backward walking...  :rotfl

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Genius PLUS superbly coordinated.  How she can get all those long legs switched around on the stairs so she can go up in reverse is just amazing.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Nate is not the athletic genius that Nutmeg is, but I did laugh myself silly once watching him change his mind about going down the deck stairs.  I suspect rain was involved.  His front end was 3 steps down from the deck surface and his back end was one step down.  He paused and then carefully reversed each footstep until he was on the deck. :lol Nutmeg is a rock star!

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

So far I have only seen her do it when I don’t have my phone on me.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

• 1 month later...

She generally comes upstairs when I am in the bathroom and in no position to see what she is doing! When I saw her the other day she realised I was there at the top of the stairs and just carefully came up properly all the way . Of course this morning, as I came out of the bedroom, I watched her carefully turn around and reverse up the last few stairs but my phone was in the bedroom and I had no time to get it!

:lol::P