Taylor, 12/11/08-3/23/17

Beachbum1

A wonderful mobile vet came to the house Thursday afternoon, to help Taylor have no more pain.

Taylor was a miracle dog.

He was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma above his right front wrist 1/10/15.

I immediately turned his care over to an oncologist practice with a wonderful doctor.

Since it appeared to be caught early, we thought we would try to save the leg.

Started with radiation treatments, and also Carboplatin chemo.

He also received an IV every 4 weeks of Zoledronate, a bone strengthening/pain relief drug.

He tolerated all treatments well. No side effects, as expected.

After 1-1/2 months, he slipped and fell, and broke a small bone in the area of the cancer.

He was then basically using 3 legs, and managing just fine.

Running faster than Face in the back yard. Spinning and leaping.

A few weeks later, he turned in the back yard, and broke another part of the bone.

We decided it was then time to amputate.

Amputation was done 4/10/15, and even with Amicar to control bleeding, he still had massive amounts of swelling and edema. His body was trying to absorb the edema, but he was peeing dark red. He had to stay in the hospital for 6 nights, on IV fluids to keep the kidneys from being damaged.

Within 2 weeks, he was back to demanding and loving rides and walks 2-3 times a day.

Hopping in and out of the SUV with Face.

Going out and about everywhere. Seeing people. Getting hugs.

He was a happy boy.

It's a given that Osteosarcoma comes back in the lungs. Just a matter of time.

Every 3 months, he would go in for chest x-rays and blood work. All was fine.

This past June, the chest x-rays showed a couple of very small nodules in his lungs.

We started him on Palladia, a chemo pill, given 3 times a week.

The thought was that the chemo pills would slow down the growth of the nodules, hopefully shrink them, and keep others from forming.

No side effects from the chemo pills.

Checked his blood every 4-5 weeks.

Late this past December, I noticed he was slowing down walking. Not as hungry. Hard to lay down.

They did chest x-rays (looked good), blood work (looked fine), and an ultrasound of his abdomen (all clear).

Started him on 300 mg of Gabapentin for pain every 8 hours.

He was not feeling better.

​Two weeks later, I happened to be on the floor with him, and his front left leg felt very warm, and very swollen.

X-rays of his legs the next day showed that he had a very rare condition called Hypertrophic Osteopathy.

He had a temperature of 104.3.

That condition seems to be an off-shoot of nodules in the lungs.

It's a thickening of the periosteum, which is a tissue surrounding the bones.

It is progressive. It is painful. It can't be cured.

He then started taking Previcox, which is an anti-inflammatory/pain medication and within 24 hours, the fever was gone and the swelling was down. He was walking better.

Most dogs don't survive that condition more than 4-6 weeks.

The amount of pain medication needed would then be too much for the dog to function, especially a 3 legged dog.

Around 4 weeks ago, Taylor started coughing.

Chest x-rays showed that 3 nodules in his lungs were between 6-10 times larger than they were 11 weeks earlier.

The chemo pills weren't as effective anymore. One nodule that had been the size of a dime was now the size of an egg. But he wasn't coughing when walking or eating. Just once in a while when laying down.

Earlier this week, the coughing got worse and he was having a real hard time walking and laying down, but he was eating well, and demanded those rides and walks. His breathing was very rapid. He seemed uncomfortable.

Tuesday evening, I noticed his left front leg was swollen in a large area.

I called the oncologist's office in the morning, and they said to bring him in.

They did one x-ray of his leg, and the doctor showed me the huge difference in the thickening of his Hypertrophic Osteopathy.

He was taking the maximum amount of pain medication. There was nothing else to do to help him with his pain.

It was time.

Taylor was my first greyhound, and he came to me 12/20/11 when he was 3 years old.

He was a BIG boy (90 pounds), and he loved his hugs.

We went everywhere together. He loved rides and loved being around people.

Face, another big boy at 85 pounds, joined us a year and a half later.

He loves rides and walks, too.

I would be walking, loose leashed, 180 pounds of well behaved hounds, in stores, everywhere.

I promised each dog, when they came to me, that I would always take care of them, and keep them happy as long as possible.

On Wednesday, I knew it was time for Taylor. The doctor and I knew it was coming.

He was a miracle dog.

It's VERY rare for a dog with Osteosarcoma to still be around 2 years and almost 3 months after diagnosis.

He was a tripod almost 2 years.

Never slowed him down.

Up until a few weeks ago, he could STILL run faster than Face.

Taylor's last day, Thursday, was a Taylor day. 2 rides. 2 walks. 2 cans of dog food. Lots of treats.

Saw lots of people he loved, and they said goodbye to him, and cried.

We've lived here for almost 3 years and have met thousands of people.

The vet came to the house at 2:00 PM on Thursday.

The dogs greeted her looking for TREATS!

She was so caring and gentle.

She and I sat on the floor, and I petted Taylor's head and told him what a good boy he was.

Face stayed in the room and watched (mostly upside-down).

Taylor passed quietly.

I have his ashes back today.

My heart feels shattered.

I had not left him alone for more than 2-3 hours for the past 2 years and almost 3 months.

He was my heart dog. My baby boy. My hug-loving boy.

I know it was time, and I wouldn't let him suffer.

I miss hugging him.

The first picture was taken Thursday morning in the back yard. He was sniffing grass.

The second picture was St. Patrick's Day. Having our own parade.

No more pain.

thumbnail_IMG_20170323_095634908_zpsrkib

received_1267200926669027_zpsbfi7qk4h.jp

You were so lucky to have each other, and we are so lucky you shared him with us. We are heartbroken for you and with you. Sending hugs to you and Face.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Your pain is so palpable. You gave him the best life and then some.

Hugs to you and Face.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm sorry for your loss. Run free Taylor :heart

Our Jamey was also diagnosed with osteo in the early stages and lived 27 months after his amputation. We know we were very blessed to have him that long after his amp. My thoughts are with you :heart

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

We are heartbroken here. Even though we never got to meet Taylor in person, he and Face have been a part of my daily life for years. Mark and I became friends pretty quickly here on GT, and it is rare that we miss a day of talking by phone, or at a minimum trading text messages if we are otherwise busy. Taylor is one of Rocket's many cousins. I only wish that I had been healthy enough over the past few years to make a trip to Florida to meet the boys. My health issues didn't allow it, but "The Boyz" (all 3 of them) are part of our family.

There will never be enough words, or the right words. Taylor had a fantastic life, and you kept your promise to him. There is no greater gift you could have given him.

Run pain-free, Taylor. I'm sure Chef Seamie has to keep re-stocking the Bacon Bar now that you have joined the party at the Bridge.

:f_red:f_red:f_red

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so sorry. Words are inadequate right now. I'm so sad to see his name but my goodness the care and compassion you have given him. He was so lucky to have you. He's whole now and giving everyone a run for their money up there. I'm sure Kasey like countless others greeted him. Take care of yourself and let Face help you heal. He'll need you like you need him right now.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

This brings so many memories of my boy Charlie who travelled the same path. I am very sorry you had to make this decision, it is brutally hard. Taylor and you fought a brave battle together.

Run free Taylor, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Mark, my heart goes out to you. You did so right by your boy, including keeping your promise to him right through it all (as if there was ever any question that you would). It was a pleasure and an honor to meet you both, even when Taylor, vying for an Assistant Soos Chef badge, tried to burn down our house. Even while away from home Taylor managed to perfect his art of the Bed Fail!

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know that our hearts are with you and Face. Indeed, as Don said, Chef Seamie pulled out all the stops to welcome his friend. (Thank you, Don.)

Godspeed Taylor, bravest of the brave. :angelwings

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Run free Taylor. You are a legend and will be missed by so many who cared about you near and far. So very sorry for your loss.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Taylor's story, like Jamey's and Charlie's and the other dogs who have lived longer and full lives with cancer, give hope that could be true for our own dogs, and one day, for all dogs. Thank you for sharing Taylor's journey with us. And heartfelt hugs to you and Face. Hang in there.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Oh Mark I'm so devastated for you. You may know that I'm currently sharing some of your struggles with my Stan and I always found your posts of Taylor very inspirational. I can only hope to offer as much joy to Stan as you did for a Taylor.

Deepest sympathies-damn that cancer.

All of our dogs are special to us, but Taylor was special to everybody. He was such an inspiration and we are all better for "knowing" him, thank you for sharing him. As others have said, there are no words for the pain, but I have always found comfort in the poem Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep. Taylor will always be with you. :bighug

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

Source: http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/do-not-stand-by-my-grave-and-weep

So very sorry for the loss of your handsome boy.

Thanks for sharing him with us.

You made so many wonderful memories together.nRemember them ....and smile.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg