Do You Speak To Your Dog?

You aren't alone! I really enjoyed this recent NYTimes article.

One of my favs, and spoken quite often (although less so since we lost Paddy Mayhem): Don't Even Think About It.  It works. Annie can confirm :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

“Now what are you up to? You’re bound to be up to something!” - Usually to Nutmeg whenever I hear strange rustling or other unexplained noises, often when I am upstairs and the dogs are downstairs.

Then I chuckle to myself because that’s what Nora Batty always said to Compo in ‘Last of the summer wine’ TV programme.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

:nod  "Don't even think about it" is popular here too. 

I often ask Sweep "Someone you know?" when a p-mail stop lasts too long.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Well, who DOESN'T talk to their dog?!? :lol

Recently, "Gracie, knock it off!" when I'm in my basement office and can hear her scratching the rug above my head.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Yes - just now: ‘Hey Buds, are you ok?’ No answer. ‘Do you really want to eat that?’ About the thing he has just puked up in the garden. No answer (unless you include eating the thing he puked as an answer).

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

ALL. THE. TIME! The cats, too. Gino thinks his name is "quit licking". The cats are "did you HAVE TO?!", right after a nice big HURF on the rug.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I think the thing I say the most to the cat is, why are you licking my kitty? Usually followed by, all you've been doing is sleeping so you haven't done anything to require cleaning yourself. Before we leave the house, I always go to her and tell her that mommy and daddy are leaving and mention where we are going. I throw her a kiss from each of us and wave bye bye to her.  At night I give her kisses on both ears before going to bed.

Oh crap, I think I qualify as a crazy cat lady. :yikes

Lexi (mom to Nok, the former feral black kitty)

I live in fear of someone bugging our house and having documented proof of how much I talk to the dogs all day!

Seriously.   I talk to them just like I would toddlers in my house.  We have conversations,  little songs, special names - and that's not counting outside! I talk to them more than I talk to my husband!!! :P

I need to get a life!!!!!

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Another vote for "What?!" Usually it's when I'm halfway through my first coffee of the morning and a head appears above the arm of the sofa emitting a pleading whine which translates as "I've held it in all night but I need to pee NOW!" 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

15 hours ago, Lexi said:

I think the thing I say the most to the cat is, why are you licking my kitty? Usually followed by, all you've been doing is sleeping so you haven't done anything to require cleaning yourself. Before we leave the house, I always go to her and tell her that mommy and daddy are leaving and mention where we are going. I throw her a kiss from each of us and wave bye bye to her.  At night I give her kisses on both ears before going to bed.

Oh crap, I think I qualify as a crazy cat lady. :yikes

You have just the one? Nah, you're good :lol

15 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

:lol Cats: I always tell newbie Momo "Make good decisions" when he starts to approach a sleeping Sweep. 

Love that :rofl

6 hours ago, greysmom said:

I live in fear of someone bugging our house and having documented proof of how much I talk to the dogs all day!

Seriously.   I talk to them just like I would toddlers in my house.  We have conversations,  little songs, special names - and that's not counting outside! I talk to them more than I talk to my husband!!! :P

I need to get a life!!!!!

:lol Sounds just right!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

A range from "Move, please, sweetie" to "MOVE #@##*!"

Also compliments on their handsomeness, sweetness, etc., etc., etc.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

All the time! When I'm getting laser-eye, "What?", when I'm leaving the house, "I'll be right back".  "Wanna go outside?". "Wanna cookie"?. "What are you doing?"

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

:)  :nod  :lol  :)

Faboo,article..thanks for sharing!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

19 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

:lol Cats: I always tell newbie Momo "Make good decisions" when he starts to approach a sleeping Sweep. 

My crew is so used to Johnny's reactions (he was all "meh" most of the time), they get a BIG SHOCK when Gino gives them the gobble-snark for messing with him at rest or with his food/treats. Can't tell them ANYTHING.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

32 minutes ago, palmettobug said:

My crew is so used to Johnny's reactions (he was all "meh" most of the time), they get a BIG SHOCK when Gino gives them the gobble-snark for messing with him at rest or with his food/treats. Can't tell them ANYTHING.

Gobble-snark! :lol I'm stealing that.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I feel sorry for the dogs that have owners that don't talk to them.  My FIL who is not a pet person asked me once if I talked to my dog.  I told him, of course.  He asked what the dog said back and thought he was so funny saying that.  I told him that he responds to me in many ways.  He understands and yes, sometimes he will sigh, or bark in response.  Dogs are smarter than some people think.  

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

"Don't even think about it!" is big here. Also "beep beep" when I'm trying to get by. I also always say as I'm leaving "I'll be back". 

Why would you not talk to your animals?  What would be the point of having them?

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Curious that many of us use Don’t Even Think About It.  I wonder how much our tone (read: VOG) has to do with achieving actual results. There are very few other things I say that require the VOG. :lol

“Get out of my way” when I am trying to get ready to take them for a walk and one or both dogs are jumping and prancing around in excitement.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Just seeing this.  What a lovely article!  And it makes me feel that I'm not a wacko.  Well, maybe I am.  I speak Spanish to my 3 Galgo girls.  Well, English too, but I kinda thought they didn't have too much loving Spanish spoken to them from the galgueros, so I tell them some every day.  Actually, a lot.   Here is what I say most often:

Sabes cuanto te amo? Te amo mucho. Porque tu eres una buena Galga.  Tu eres muy hermosa, muy cariñosa, muy jugeton, muy lista, muy fuerte y muy valiente.

Translated:  Do you know how much I love you?  I love you a lot.  Because you are a good Galga.  You are very beautiful, very sweet, very playful, very smart, very strong, and very brave. :beatheart  I said this a lot to Kiva when she first came, because she didn't seem to think she was any of that.

Then I add their names, with their Spanish middle names---Evangelina, mi pequeña Corazon (heart), Esquiva, mi pequeña Milagra (miracle), and Laila, mi pequeña Mariposa (butterfly).  And sometimes Laila won't sit until we say Sientaté!

But I also say, There's no whining in Galgos! There was also No whining in Greyhounds! :lol

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown