Both Dogs Bad News

We took both our greys in for their 6 month wellness check last weekend.

Though they both lost some weight the were other-wise very healthy.

Poop, urine and blood tests were run.

Last night we got a call from the vet...

Our girl June has parasites! Heart worm and another (my husband took the call and can't remember the other).

WHAT? They both get heart worm preventative pills every month like clockwork! Now both (to be safe) have to go on meds for the next couple months.

So this alone is disturbing, but this isn't even the worst news...

Our brindle boy Sidney's blood levels were very bad...

And bad as in they are 95% sure he has Lymphoma.

We were both shocked at this news... not expecting it at all.

So this weekend we have an appt this weekend with HOPE to have Sidney evaluated and more tests run to see for sure what is going on.

I will keep you all posted as we find out more, but good thoughts, vibes, prayers, etc are appreciated.

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many HW positive dogs live for years. I have been told a zillion times if you can prove that you bought the HW preventive from you vet and your dog gets them the company will pay for treatment :dunno

I lost my Buddy to Lymphoma. It is fast and furious. Brace yourself and I am so sorry. :grouphug

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I am thinking positive for both pups!

After all, June was diagnosed with a brain tumor in March and given 1-6 months to live and she's still with us!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Oh no :cry1 I am so sorry for all the bad news. Sending a ton of :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so sorry for your bad news. Hopefully, things will come around and be better.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Thank you all. I will keep you all informed.

Hoping for the best.

My first dog was HW position when I adopted him. He was treated and lived for many years afterwards.

Please keep us posted, ok?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

What a horrible shock to hear such news. I think the only positive thing is that once detected you can start on the road to dealing with it as best you all can. Sooner rather than later and harder to cure maybe? I wish you and your vet every success in treating those conditions.

Praying for your pups. :hope

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Thx for the well wishes gang.

Praying for your babies! What brand of preventative were they on? I have heard that the heartworms have been developing a resistance to the preventatives now! Maybe someone here can provide more details. What sense is it to use the kind that no longer works? I believe I heard that ivermectrin may be suspect. Maybe someone will chime in with more info.

Oh my word. I'm so sorry for your awful news. Best thoughts for both your pups.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Praying for your babies! What brand of preventative were they on? I have heard that the heartworms have been developing a resistance to the preventatives now! Maybe someone here can provide more details. What sense is it to use the kind that no longer works? I believe I heard that ivermectrin may be suspect. Maybe someone will chime in with more info.

We've been using Interceptor for both of them since the day we got them (6 years ago?). We also give it RELIGIOUSLY every month.

:grouphug Keeping you in my thoughts.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Update:

June:

Has finished her first found of Heart Worm meds. She gets the next round in 2 weeks.

As for Sidney:

Met with the oncologist at HOPE. Initial diagnosis is he has CLL, Chronic Lukemia Lymphoma. This is actually good news as it's easy to treat and has a high success rate of remission.

We will get the final diagnosis once his bloodwork comes back from them.

Also, he has been on Hills Science Diet CD for a couple years now and it's always been a chore getting him to eat it. I'm sure it's bland and not tasty. It's been really hard getting him to eat the last month or so, so we finally decided to just give up on that food and get him something he will eat... because him eating something is better than him NOT eating prescription food. We bought Blue Buffalo Wild Senior formula and he's been scarfing it down like there is no tomorrow. I'm just super happy to see him eat AND he seems to have a lot more energy and enthusiasm. Poor thing probably just wanted a decent meal.

So fingers crossed! Will update once we hear more...

Well, that's certainly a better update! Hoping they both respond well to treatment and are on the mend in short order. :goodluck

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart