Bakin 2/7/10~6/13/18

calif_chaz

Bakin. Officially Peppered Bakin. I did not think to see her name in this part of greytalk for a long time. I thought we had years yet together. She came to live with us in May of 17 at the age of 7 and I looked forward to, was naively confident in, 4, 5, even 6 years together. Sadly osteo changed all that. But what a wonderful 13 months we did have! She was my first brood and I fell in love. She picked me to be her go to person after most of the others had chosen my husband. It was flattering, delightful, and the most wonderful closeness. She had 25+ pups so she knew to be in charge. She must have herded them because she herded us. Not moving fast enough? a nudge from behind. Not following the timed routine? a bark and a prance. Time to get up? a very vocal roach from beside the bed. She definitely had us in hand. She loved to run in the yard and made her circular track complimented by an additional figure 8. Walks, car rides to the dairy for ice cream, 2 peanut butter crackers before dinner, lots of belly rubs, these were her things. She was Chick Fil A's biggest fan. A determined chaser of squirrels, she finally caught one in the yard and killed it, carried it up onto the deck, and when we were saying the totally ignored commands of "drop it, leave it", she proceeded to swallow it WHOLE. Like a snake. Furry tail last thing seen disappearing in 2 big gulps. So we did have only 13 months together. But they were so full! She was a huge presence in our life, personality plus. This may sound strange but it is like somehow she or fate or whatever you want to call it, knew the time would be short, so fill it to the brim, pack it all in, the love, the fun, the time together, squeeze the 5 years into a short 13 months and savor every minute. And so that is why it is so empty and still and hollow here. I will move on because you have to, and because I know she is nudging me on to do that. Run free, Bakin, get those squirrels!

W-a-y too young, but sadly, the monster that is osteo doesn't seem to have much respect for age - young or old, it haunts all. I recently lost one that was barely nine - again, too young.

Your girl sounds like she was a corker. There's something awfully special about broodies - the vast majority of the greyhounds we've adopted over the last two decades were retired broodies. Bless you for giving her a loving home. Gentle hugs to you and yours. Perhaps Bakin will tap your shoulder one day and whisper in your ear that opening your home and heart to another retired momma dog would do her proud.

What a funny little girl, Bakin!!! I'm so very sorry she had to leave. Send your mom a sign, Bakin. I'm so very sorry, Bakin's mom and dad.

We adopted a senior girl, Twilite, several years ago, and she was with us only 28 days before osteo stole her. But like Bakin, Twilite enjoyed those 28 days knowing she was safe and fiercely loved and pampered.

Sending peace. :beatheart

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

Oh, what a beautiful tribute! I feel like I knew your wonderful lady. She must have been a force to be reckoned with! And bless you for adopting an older broodie. They so deserve the happiness of a forever home, however late in life it comes. And you're right---you filled your time together with so much love. I'm so sorry you lost your precious Bakin.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Chompin down that squirrel right in front of you like that sounds just like a broodie. :beatheart They are so wise and many have developed a unique and special sense of humor. She will be with you always. Some of my biggest life lessons were taught to me by broodies. They are such special souls. :f_pink:f_red:f_pink:gh_lay

"The flame that burns twice as bright, burns half as long."

I am sorry that you lost your sweet and funny girl. Wishing you peace.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm very sorry for your loss. Those broodies are put here to steal our hearts.

Run pain-free, Bakin. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Awwww.... so very sorry that your girlie had to leave you. It was much too soon.

You made some terrific memories together. Remember them and smile....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so very sorry :( :( :( that is way too young :( :( :(

the squirrel story though...OMG. She was priceless :kiss2:cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I’m so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful loving tribute.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

It's just not fair to have them stolen at all, let alone at such a young age. I lost Paddy Mayhem last year at seven due to multiple cancers. We just want them to stay forever.

Your tribute is just wonderful. Bakin knew how much she was loved! And boy did she make sure that you had the full-on experience of living with a brood :beatheart They are truly special in so many ways unique to them, including that brood sense of humor. I am sure she will send you a sign, she lived her life with you too big not to. I am so very sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm sorry she had to leave you so soon. And yet, I'm glad she had you to love and appreciate her.

Godspeed, sweetie. I won't be able to look at a squirrel ever again without thinking of you :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so incredibly sorry. I wish she'd been able to stay--and enjoy life to the fullest--for much longer.

Like Batmom, I will think of her whenever I see a squirrel.

Godspeed Bakin.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love. Bakin was a very beautiful girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds