Twiggy Had A Stroke

Sounds like they think this is Idiopathic Vestibular Disease? This is my favourite thing to diagnose in old dogs, because it looks horrible and owners are very upset and then I get to give them good news. I had a 15 year old husky come in last week, owner absolutely devastated thinking she was going to be euthanizing her dog. I got her nausea under control and sent her home. By that evening the dog was able to stand and meet her husband at the door when he got home from work. Most dogs are almost normal within a week. Fingers crossed for Twiggy that's all this is and she'll be home soon.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry, I know how scary this can be, even with a four legger. My Doodles had an FCE when she was 11, ultimately a stroke, she was in the hospital for days.

Do you have friends or neighbors who can take care of her while you're at work? Can you use some of your sick time that they aren't going to pay you for to stay home with her?

Doodles has done really well, had cold laser and acupuncture along her spine and her recovery was amazing. She gets cold laser once every 3 weeks now. She may have had another minor stroke in Oct, her neurologist wanted to put her on a clot buster medication, but Dr Couto said he'd had bad experiences with it in greyhounds and wanted her on a 1/2 of a cardio aspirin daily. I'd get her on it asap.

Sending good thoughts for sweet Twiggy.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Sending lots and lots and lots of good wishes to Twiggy, and to you!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Thank you again to everyone. I just got back from the e-vet, and unfortunately she is not yet improved as described to me earlier. She is not able to right herself sternally, and while not paralyzed, does not move much at all. She is still battling the tilt-a-whirl in her head, and is struggling against a vertical position to the degree that she needs 4 arms to support her and keep her upright to stand. In addition, her left hind foot is knuckling under and she is not righting it.

She is eating and drinking and off of iv fluids. The only meds she is currently getting are her usual gabapentin and tramadol.

Unfortunately, I will have to leave her there until she can be more stable on her feet. It is likely that she will need to stay there at least until the end of next week. At that point if she is not improving I will have them do a MRI to see the size of the lesion (or whether it is a brain tumor instead).

How scary Wendy! Sending good thoughts for Twiggy! Get in touch with Ellen Paulus. She gave me a recipe for a home made dog for dogs with kidney Diease! Angel was on for over a year. and my vet firmly believe's it gfave us more time with Angel. She made it almost 2 years with kidney diease!

Thank you for the info about the kidney diet. I am wanting to keep her protein relatively high but reduce sodium/phosphorus for now as her kidney issues seem only marginal, so I definitely want to look into what you were feeding.

Oh no! Wendy I sent you a pm.

Thank you so much for the info, I replied to your pm. I forgot to mention, she is leaking a small amount of protein in her urine. Urinalysis from a month ago showed 1+.

oh no Wendy!!! NOT Twiggy!!!

if they haven't already, a baby aspirin asap makes a HUGE difference with a stroke :(

sending HUGE hugs and prayers for your sweet girl!!!

eta: newsletter from Dr. Couto (from a bit back) http://cvm.osu.edu/assets/pdf/hospital/bloodBank/wellness/newsletters/2009/ghwpNewsletterSummer2009.pdf

Thank you so much for linking this!

Sounds like they think this is Idiopathic Vestibular Disease? This is my favourite thing to diagnose in old dogs, because it looks horrible and owners are very upset and then I get to give them good news. I had a 15 year old husky come in last week, owner absolutely devastated thinking she was going to be euthanizing her dog. I got her nausea under control and sent her home. By that evening the dog was able to stand and meet her husband at the door when he got home from work. Most dogs are almost normal within a week. Fingers crossed for Twiggy that's all this is and she'll be home soon.

Because her condition worsened significantly after the initial event and because she has no nausea & has been eating/drinking the whole time, they do not believe this is benign, but rather likely a bleed or clot, with tumor a good ways down on the list.

Thank you so much to all for your good thoughts and stories of how your pups did with ckd and strokes! I know Twiggy is a fighter. This is hard though, she isn't bouncing back from this one just yet, so she still needs to fight some more, and can use your continued good thoughts!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Let us know if there is anything at all we can do. Keeping up the best thoughts for your girl and yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending all of our good thoughts, face licks, leg leans (whichever direction is best for Twiggy), and extra ear scritches.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Wendy - Please contact Dr Couto and let him know about Twiggy. He is out of the country so it may take a few days for him to get back to you.

guilledvm@gmail.com

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Oh, the sweet girl.....Joining the many good thoughts being sent to you both. Hoping for a positive update.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sending good thoughts for Twiggy and peaceful thoughts for you.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Sending all of our good thoughts, face licks, leg leans (whichever direction is best for Twiggy), and extra ear scritches.

Love this! :flip (seems appropriate for her situation) Thank you !

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Sorry to read this about Twiggy and your job situation, Wendy. Hoping that Twiggy recovers and that you find a suitable job elsewhere.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg