Twiggy Had A Stroke

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest budsmom

Huge sighs of relief here! Big hugs and lots of healing energy from western WI for Twiggy. Duncan is counting on meeting her at next year's Gala.

:bounce8:pepper :pepper :pepper

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Excellent news to wake up to! I am so glad she has improved and is home. Continued good healing thoughts.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Twiggy is about the same, or maybe a bit of a decline overnight.

I can get her out to potty (and she pooped too this morning!), she can squat to go to the bathrooom, and she can stand for a little bit unaided, but she is not voluntarily taking any steps. I hold her up, move her forward, and her feet follow. She does not lay down on her own at all, so I have to pick her up tilt her and lay her down on her bed (she is very much not a fan of that process!).

She is eating like a champ, and eats everything I put in front of her. I've been pulverizing her kibble and adding rice, hamburger and egg whites, along with a lot of water, because she isn't drinking much at all.

One thing that I'm not sure about is that she has developed tremors overnight. At first I thought they might only happen when she needs to go to the bathroom, but it seems to be almost all the time now. They start with her squinting her eyes, then all the muscles around her head tighten up (quivering), and then that tremor runs down her whole body. They each last a few seconds with a second break in between. She also has periods where she is panting and whining (despite the fact that it is 60 degrees inside) The whining and panting do seem to be related to her needing to go out.

Do the tremors sound familiar to anyone? I don't think it is seizure activity, because she is cognizant of her surroundings and can eat and drink while it is going on.

I called the e-vet, but they said they couldn't evaluate her over the phone and suggested that I give her 1/4 extra tramadol. After that she did calm down and sleep peacefully for a good while, but that was also about the time I took her to pee and poop.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Tremors: Don't know.

Just wanted to send along some good thoughts for you and your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Tremors don't sound familiar to be, but backsliding, especially early on, definitely happened with Doodles. What meds do they have Twiggy on?

The only addition to her normal Tramadol and Gabapentin is Trazadone.

I've had her below the low end of her Tramadol dosage for quite a while. (prescribed dose is 75-100 mg every 12 hours, she has been well below that at 50mg every 12 hours for quite a while, though she has in the past had periods at the high end of the dosage range. And I know it should divided into 3 daily doses instead of 12, but with working a full day I haven't been able to make that a daily thing). While in the hospital she was getting 75 mg, and on their suggestion, I upped that to 87.5 (1.75 tablets).this morning.

Trazadone is 100 mg twice daily, and same for Gabapentin.

Other supplements (not given since her stroke) are: Dasuquin plus MSM, Duralactin, and Artemisinin.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Ducky, thank you so much for the articles. They describe side effects very similar to what I'm currently seeing.

The thing that I wonder about (and the articles don't seem to contemplate) is whether after being on the drug for years, at times at higher doses then the current dose, would an increase in dosage bring on side effects that had never been seen before?

I'm guessing that's a question that hasn't been addressed anywhere before.

Ah, I worry so much about my little girl.

I feel like I remember someone on GT experiencing the same thing - tremors like that - and it was either a result of Tramadol or Gabapentin, but I think Tramadol. Unfortunately I can't remeber any more details. Maybe searching H&M for the names of the medications will turn up the thread?

Does she need the Trazodone at this point? I haven't heard of it causing those symptoms, but since it's the newest med, it might be the one I'd try to eliminate first, especially since its not for pain. If she needs something for anxiety there are other options if you determine that's the cause.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

OK, maybe I cut out the trazadone, then. She does seem a bit better this afternoon - resting more quietly. I haven't had her out since around 7 am, & she did pee on her pad, but I'm trying to weigh the cost/benefit of agitating her to get her up, out and back down (which is very stressful for her) versus her lying on the wet pad.

Wendy, are you using a sling or towel to support her when you take her out to potty or is she resistant to that?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Actually, it is easier for me to just support her with my hands. She definitely fights slings (did post-amp, too, lol!), but my kind of lifting and directing her seems to go over better.

Now so long as my back doesn't go out again like it a few weeks ago when I was trying to put on pantyhose & couldn't walk for a week... lol!

I thrilled that Twiggy is home with you and continues to improve. I hope your back does not go out on you.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Phene developed tremors after he started taking tramadol. He was sent to Th bridge shortly afterwards (osteo), so I have no idea how long they would have lasted.

I'm absolutely thrilled with Teiggy's progress :yay

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I just saw this now. I'm glad she's home and Franny and I will continue to send good thoughts that she gets back to feeling better soon.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

It's weird. I'm thinking the tremors and agitation seem to be related to how badly she needs to poop. She was getting really bad again, and the only thing I did was take her out whereupon she pooped. Got her back in, flipped on her other side, and now no panting, agitation or tremors. She is sleeping comfortably.

Which is fantastic right now.