Jump to content

PatricksMom

Members
  • Content Count

    2,435
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About PatricksMom

  • Rank
    Greyaholic
  • Birthday 06/15/1979

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://
  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Female
  • Location
    SC
  • Interests
    Teaching and researching American history
    reading, hiking, cross stich, home remodeling, and organic gardening and canning.

Previous Fields

  • Real Name
    Beth

Recent Profile Visitors

641 profile views
  1. I'm thinking thyroid--I'd get a panel run asap. After that, I'd look at any possibility of a pain response. I'm sure Jumper didn't want to hurt you, there's something wrong.
  2. Repeating, call poison control. They have literally saved my dog's life on calls that were close as to whether it needed intervention or not. I would expect it's okay, but they'll take all of your dog's details, the brand, his weight, the amount, his medical history, etc. into consideration. Worth every penny. I hope your baby is okay.
  3. Thank you everyone for your kindness. Petey, who's been a bit more DH's dog, has been glued to me ever since--I think Henry told him to take care of me.
  4. This is the most difficult decision I've ever had to make about a dog. Henry's been a bit run down the last few weeks (it's hot and he developed hook worm despite a preventative regime) and while he needed to lose some weight so he was on a bit of a diet, he's lost a good bit; I was planning on bringing him in after his first complete round of hookworm treatment if he didn't perk up. This morning he was fussy and had a very distended abdomen. Took him in, and based on the xrays and ultrasound, he has a very large mass taking up most of the abdominal cavity and a large fluid area. The vet says he is fairly sure he has a Hemangiosarcoma but there's no way to be 100% certain without exploratory surgery, and it is clearly a very large mass, no matter what is causing it. He strongly advised letting him go today or tomorrow before he gets dramatically worse. The x-rays from 6 months ago were clean. We're going to let him go tomorrow. The hospice vet's office said what we're describing is consistent with a Hemangiosarcoma and that yes, they can worsen dramatically so this is probably the best option. Our only alternative is to try to get him a consult with an oncologist to see if they can confirm without surgery. We couldn't get that done, so we'd have to take a dog who's in pain getting into and out of the car to them, which is over an hour each way, and he's terrified of vet's offices and they won't let us go in due to Covid-19. Has anyone had to make a choice where you didn't have a confirmed diagnosis? It kills me to let him go when he's basically happy although clearly uncomfortable, but I don't want him to suffer either by letting things get bad. Eta: advice, information, and suggestions welcome, no criticisms please. Henry is beloved member of our family and we're just trying to do the right thing for him. Chemo would not be an option that would be good for him, in our circumstances.
  5. We're using it along with Drontal Plus/Advantage Multi that Dr. Ng recommended based on the University of GA, based on their research on resistant hookworms in dogs from the FL tracks (Petey showed up positive). Not sure how long we're going to keep him on it before we test. For anyone starting, it took a couple of months to stop with the bloody, really loose stool. Has this actually worked (not just managed) for anyone's dog? How long did you keep up the full regime?
  6. We just upped Henry to 200 mg of Tramadol and 200 mg of Gapentine a day for a severely arthritic paw, along with 3.25 mg of Meloxicam. It's not all better, but he's gotten much better relief with no side effects at all. Can you give the Gabapentine just before bedtime?
  7. Agreed, is there a particular reason why he needs to be crated? Some dogs do, but not all.
  8. I'm sorry, we've been there too. Spoiling her like her birthday every day is the best thing you can do.
  9. Another blood test, another set of good results. Fingers crossed for a good outcome. Thank you for the encouragement.
  10. Good report from the vet this morning. No symptoms at all, the vet this morning said it was good to bring them in to be safe, but he hasn't seen any problems with dogs with cooked raisins. Petey, my new 2 year old, was so intrigued by everything going on in the ICU they had to give him Trazadone to get him to finally go to bed Henry, my introvert, is going to come home exhausted. Still, no more raisin bagels in this house.
  11. The boys between them ate 6 raisin bagels today, our vet got them to throw up 2-3 bagels and now they're up a the e-vet hospital for 48 hours of fluid and monitoring. So far, about 6 hours out, no symptoms and good bloodwork, the vet says that's a very good sign. Can anyone give me any hope about their overall prognosis? The internet seems to suggest a 5% death rate, but the emergency hospital says they generally see all the dogs who come in for the full protocol emerge okay? I just can't lose Henry or Petey.
  12. Insanely jealous. I've flown through one airport with friendly dogs--the SPCA brought in dogs you could pet and they could get socialized (unlike the bomb dogs who also seem friendly but you're not allowed to pet). I'm a nervous flyer and it would be even better to have greyhound friends to be able to hang out with before flights.
  13. Our group in SC hauls up from FL and we seem to have a lot of dogs right now, more than 6 months ago or so, although we also seem to take whoever needs a home, or at least I haven't seen any preference for cat-safe or female in terms of who's listed on the website. So it may indeed be a transportation challenge. Not sure what will happen as the tracks close.
  14. PatricksMom

    Iker

    Oh no, I'm so very sorry.
×
×
  • Create New...