Twiggy Had A Stroke

Around 2am Thursday, December 31, Twiggy was struggling to get around. I heard unusual noises, and saw her pulling strongly toward the left and looking up at the ceiling.

At this point, she was still able to stand and walk, albeit with great difficulty. She even waited until she was in the garage to pee!

Those who know Twiggy know she doesn’t have her left front leg, so her brain telling her that she has to lean as far to the left as possible to keep from falling off the world really doesn’t work in her favor.

She stood in the car the whole way to the evet, and stood as much as possible in the kennel in back, but her right front leg kept sliding out from under and she eventually had to lay down.

Since then, she lost some additional function and yesterday afternoon was unable to stand, walk, or even right herself sternally, so unfortunately I had to leave her in the hospital again.

The doctors believe this is a central vestibular event because she is still eagerly eating and drinking and doesn’t have any nausea. As far as I’m aware, that means a brain bleed or clot.

This morning, she has recovered a little and is able to right herself sternally after being placed on her side and she is no longer staring at the ceiling constantly. So I am hopeful that I may be able to bring her home today. I would have brought her last night, but after seeing her, I knew I would not be able to handle her on my own & wouldn’t be doing her any favors by trying. I hope today is different, even if I have to keep her at the vets office when I have to go back to work on Monday.

Recent bloodwork has also shown that she is in the beginning stages of kidney disease, probably due to all the chemo from four years ago. However, she is barely over the normal limits (meaning her normal limits), so we will need to keep that under close watch as well. How lucky I am though that she is still here to be having “old dog” issues. She is 11 years old and nearly four and a half years post amp for osteo now, one of the longest I have ever heard of.

I wish I could take some time off to help her, but I am losing my job soon and can’t afford to take the risk of getting immediately fired by taking any days off.

If anyone could send some good wishes for Twiggy’s brain to start firing off in the right directions again, I would appreciate it! She is as willful and strong a creature as I have ever seen, so if any dog can do it, I know Twiggy can!

Here's the pretty girl looking at me wondering why I stopped petting her!

e1be5e6b-b072-44a5-b719-5acd0197395d.jpg

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! Hoping that she feels better very soon. Best wishes for both of you.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Wendy, how scary!!!! Good thoughts and white light for both of you!

My Cash had a bad seizure/stroke event and eventually recovered nearly completely. Here's hoping Twiggy does the same! :hope:hope:hope

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How scary Wendy! Sending good thoughts for Twiggy! Get in touch with Ellen Paulus. She gave me a recipe for a home made dog for dogs with kidney Diease! Angel was on for over a year. and my vet firmly believe's it gfave us more time with Angel. She made it almost 2 years with kidney diease!

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

:grouphug x a million.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Sending best wishes for your girl's swift recovery. What a scary event and especially over the holidays. Hope she is soon back home with you where she belongs!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Hope she makes a full recovery! :goodluck Please keep is posted.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hoping she is recovering. Can't imagine how frightened you must feel.

{{{{{{{{{{Twiggy}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Twiggy, still as beautiful as ever. :wub:

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

oh no Wendy!!! NOT Twiggy!!!

if they haven't already, a baby aspirin asap makes a HUGE difference with a stroke :(

sending HUGE hugs and prayers for your sweet girl!!!

eta: newsletter from Dr. Couto (from a bit back) http://cvm.osu.edu/assets/pdf/hospital/bloodBank/wellness/newsletters/2009/ghwpNewsletterSummer2009.pdf

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

sending good thoughts and hugs for both of you :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Twiggy has always been one of our GT favorites. Paws crossed here for Twiggy.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Prayers and white light for Twiggy and her mom. Older greyhounds do develop kidney problems. Cricket was dx with kidney problems at 3 years of age. Some were DX with kidney failure and passed away from old age. Cricket had 3 strokes in her old age. She passed away at 16 from old age. She wasn't in the best of shape from the strokes but we were there to serve her if she needed anything. The vet had me lean her up against the couch when she was trying to regain her balance to walk. She walked again. Not in a straight line but she walked.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)