Blossom, Mutt, 2001-2014

kudzu

She was just a mutt, just another skinny stray, but when our paths crossed I saw something about her. She was trotting across a parking lot, headed toward a busy highway. Though she didn't slow down, she did turn to look at me. There was something in that look I can't quite describe. It was wary, soft, engaging, perhaps hopeful. It caused me to take note and try to help her. We hopped back into the car, rushing to get ahead of her. I jumped out, putting myself between her and the highway, calling to her, hoping to stop her. She trotted past me, curving her path away from me, still heading to the road. I called again. She turned her head to look at me and then, thankfully, she slowed down. Though very cautious, she came to a stop before going into the road. She turned to face me and looked at me for a bit. I think she may have been weighing her odds. Finally she starting moving again, this time in my direction.

That's how we met. She did get into the car with us and ended up as one of my first foster dogs. I got her vetted including ridding her of fleas, ticks ad seemingly every type of worm imaginable, including heartworms. If I could have I would have kept her myself but she was the right dog at the wrong time. However, she managed to wrap my father around her dear, sweet paw. Dad adopted her.

That was over a decade ago. Blossom's life with my parents has been a very happy one. She, and I, were blessed to have such a great home available for her. I don't think she could have been happier anywhere else. In return she was a near perfect dog for my parents. Profuse shedding was her only bad habit. There was nothing dramatic or any super story to tell about those years. It was simply a happy life, well lived.

Blossom came to stay with us a week ago while my parents made a trip to visit an elderly family member. Blossom was already sick then and we knew it but this wasn't the type of trip that was easy to cancel. Our discussion danced around the subject. We all believed she was facing an end of life illness. And indeed, on Wednesday I had to take her to my vet. Futher diagnostics were done and more meds were prescribed. Her condition did not improve. Mom and I both said it. We hoped Blossom would be OK until their return but feared that would not be the case.

Blossom crashed very early this morning. I called my parents to tell them what was happening. I rushed her to the vet right as they were opening. The vet concurred. It was time.

Blossom's name came from the nickname of our property, Kudzu Blossom. Her passing marks the end of an era. She was the last of the group of dogs we all had at the same time. All were strays or shelter dogs. All were wonderful in their own way. They made up the group we thought of as the Kudzu Blossom pack. We don't have may pictures of Blossom because she was for some reason very afraid of cameras. If it weren't for camera phones we'd have no pictures of her happy, smiling face. A friend of the family who loved Blossom had Greyhounds, and also spurred me to adopt my first Greyhound, took one of the best pictures of Blossom. He framed it and gave it to my parents. It included the caption, "When God made Blossom he just sat back and smiled." There really was no way to not smile when you saw Blossom's happy face.

Farewall beautiful Blossom. You were the sweetest, gentlest, happiest dog I've ever met. Despite your obviously limited early socialization and gross neglect, you took a chance on me that day. You helped babysit multiple puppies and helped new foster dogs adjust. You loved me and loved my parents even more. You welcomed a parade of visiting dogs through their house. You gave your whole heart to my father.

Blossom, you will always be remembered and missed. Thank you!

DSC00022.JPG

Sobbing here. Your story of how you two met gave me goosebumps. If ever two paths were meant to cross, surely it was Blossom's with yours. Bless your parents for adopting her and you for giving everyone that opportunity. The ends of eras are particularly profound. She will be so missed. :grouphug :grouphug

Godspeed Blossom. You were a good friend.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I"m so sorry :( thank you for giving her a 2nd chance for love :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Lovely lovely girl. I'm so sorry for your and your parents' loss.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My condolences to you and your parents. Blossom was obviously very special. Godspeed pretty girl.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss of Blossom. What a wonderful life she had thanks to you and your family.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So very sorry for the loss of your special Blossom.

Remember all the good times.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so very sorry. The word that came to mind when I read Blossom's story was serendipity: that you happened to see her trotting toward the road and you stopped to help, that she agreed to approach, that you were able to treat her ailments, that your parents could take her in. She was lucky to find you and your family, and you were fortunate to have her in your lives.

Godspeed Blossom.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

"She was just a mutt, just another skinny stray"

I've had a couple of those in my life, and it seems that they turn out to be the best dogs ever.

Once they begin to trust and love, there's just no end to it.

Happy Trails pretty Blossom. My condolences to those who are missing you.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

So very sorry for your loss, and condolences to your parents as well, who must be hurting doubly since they couldn't be there to see her off. Rest well, beautiful Blossom; it sounds like you were a very special girl.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'm so sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I loved reading Blossom's story. Sometimes things are just meant to be, and a dog ends up in exactly the right family. Blossom was wise enough to realize this when she made her decision all those ago. And she enriched your life in so many ways. I'm so sorry your parents couldn't be with her, and so sorry your family lost their precious little lady.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown