I Need Lots Of Good Thoughts For The Wizard

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ETA: Oh, is the moth eaten appearance in one toe only, or the whole foot? Reading some of the responses and then rereading your post, I see you say both things. If it's just a toe, I think osteo is highly unlikely. Neyla had a toe with the same appearance. Vet suggested amputating it - he suspected fungal or bacterial infection and/or OA - but we wouldn't know until we biopsied so his suggestion was to take it off and send it for biopsy. I never bothered doing it because we were able to manage her pain with low doses of NSAIDs and/or Tramadol and because I'm chicken** (she had a less than great history with anesthesia).

If you do decide to amputate, find someone who's experienced and who will remove only the parts that are absolutely necessary and who will keep the toe pad in place.

Sorry, only going ot add one more thing re: the calcification. If that shows up as a brighter white spot on the x-ray, it could be lytic (new bone) growth that comes with osteo. That's how Neyla presented although there was some of the moth eaten appearance around it, just not a whole lot because we caught it early. I still don't think it's cause for alarm, but it's another reason I think a 2nd opinion from OSU would help you put your mind at ease completely.

Do I have you sufficiently worried again now? ;) Don't be, I'm really just urging you to err on the side of caution. Hope you're able to get home ot your boy soon and glad everything went smoothly with the x-rays.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would send the X-rays to OSU. Not to freak you out, but a lot of us have dealt with the "it's not osteo" original diagnosis only to find out the vet was wrong. :( If there's "something" on the X-rays, I would want Dr. Couto's team to look at it, for sure.

Hopefully, it's nothing to be concerned about!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Greyt news! Like you though I'd need more info. I like what NeylasMom said. I would definitely pursue it until I was satisfied and had soem actual answers. In the meantime for Merlin::kiss2 Also would check if anybody else had experience w/ Dermaxx and IBD dogs.

Edited by racindog

Good news?!?

If it is only one toe, then whew, we can breathe again.

I guess I'd want to chat with the vet myself and look at the films with her so she can explain everything in detail.

And certainly that can wait until tomorrow.

Having dealt with numerous lameness issues in horses over the years, I am not surprised that Merlins problem is 'something' in his foot.

For unclear lameness issues, a good vet will always start at the bottom and work their way up the leg.

A small abcess in the hoof can make a horse three-legged lame ... as can a corn in a hound.

:goodluck that you get a more definitive answer tomorrow.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Kerry,

That is fantastic news! I would though also ask OSU as both Jen and BauersMom wrote. if you can get the digital x-rays, this way you have a second opinion and totally rest comfortably.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Another vote for WE NEED MORE ANSWERS. As relieving as the news is on his shoulder......I don't like the sound of that

"moth-eaten" toe/foot. x-rays to OSU, toot-suite.

What a bunch of armchair quarterbacks we are.....but only because Merlin is our most favorite Wiz, and we care muchos.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Kerry, I had one other thought. If all signs seem to be pointing to a single toe, you can do what Meredith did with Turbo to diagnose his corn problem and do a nerve block on that single toe. If it's the toe causing the pain, he won't be lame until the nerve block wears off. Obviously you'd need to do this on a day that he is already lame so it may mean stopping the pain meds temporarily. Just another thought.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Ok, now I'm worried :( But only because many of you are basically saying out loud what I was thinking in my head - I just need more answers. I am going to talk to my vet tomorrow, and first of all I'm going to ask for a digital copy of the x-rays so that I can send them to OSU. Secondly, I need to discuss the comments and options some of you mentioned - like NeylasMum's comments, gosh, half of it went over my head. I don't want to come across as a know-it-all when I'm talking to the vet - she is grey-savvy and had a grey of her own, and yes, she is not only familiar with Dr. Couto but attended a conference he held in this area a couple of years ago. Having said that, I am always more comfortable with a second opinion and I know she would be fine with that too. The words moth-eaten don't exactly inspire confidence :(

I just feel really ignorant after reading some of your comments :huh

Thinking of you! Remember the vet does have other clients and may wait until s/he gets a gap in his/her schedule

What?? OTHER clients? Blasphemy!! :eek:lol :lol :lol

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Kerry, really, try not to worry. I know it's easier said than done, but there are definitely things this could be aside from osteo. And if you're worrying, you can't be focused on getting the answers you need for Merlin. Deep breaths. :)

Good news that the shoulder isn't osteo!!!!!!! I agree with everyone on the toe/foot....I'm overly cautious and would want a second opinion from OSU, too.

Extra treats for Merlin today!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I have to admit I'm confused myself. Moth eaten is generally the sign of osteo, unless it's a fungal or bacterial infection. You're not in an area where he'd have Valley Fever and other fungal infections typical show up with lung symptoms, but it is possible that he has a bacterial infection in the bone, or there is some degenerative osteoarthritis. My suggestion since he's still there and likely still a bit out of it, get x-rays of the other leg for comparison purposes and send all of them off to OSU. I might also set up a consult with an ortho vet in your area. It can take some time to get an appt with those guys, so I'd do the other stuff in the meantime.

Not that I'm an expert, but your description didn't immediately ring of osteo to me, but I would also be careful not to dismiss it simply because he's had intermittent symptoms. It seems it's a common misunderstanding with vets that once osteo presents the pain only gets worse.

I hope you get some more definitive answers soon. :goodluck

Really good advice Kerry. Just what I was going to post. Hugs to you and Merlin.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I would send the X-rays to OSU. Not to freak you out, but a lot of us have dealt with the "it's not osteo" original diagnosis only to find out the vet was wrong. :( If there's "something" on the X-rays, I would want Dr. Couto's team to look at it, for sure.

Hopefully, it's nothing to be concerned about!

Kerry - I agree with this - Let Dr. Couto's team have a look at the XRays. "Moth eaten" is an odd description at best....

Edited to add ok I just read your post #89 :) Breathe, girl, breathe. You are doing the best things for "our" Wizard.

Edited by ChiliDog

I had to stop driving and check in Kerry so far so good! I would also get a second opinion if just to put your mind to rest.

I am relieved to not read what I was afraid I was going to read tho!!

Hugs to the wizard and you!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest SoulsMom

Good, good news. I'd also be inclined to trust your vet since she has a grey of her own, but never hurts to have Dr Cool Toes take a look see! Love you guys, hang in there

OK, step one leaves us cautiously optimistic! I am glad you are sending the x-rays to Dr Couto's team jsut to be sure and will keep on praying for the Wizard that it is nothing to worry about! :bighug

Kathy

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

I a little concerned about the deramaxx. Perhaps I'm confusing Merlin with another hound but, doesn't Merlin have diarrhea flairs?? If so, I would be very hesitant to start with a NSAID-- tramadol might be a safer option here.

While it's extremely unlikely to see osteo in a foot nothing is impossible. If you're like me you won't rest until you get a second opinion-- absoultely send the films to OSU. Keep us posted!