I Need Lots Of Good Thoughts For The Wizard

Many of you know that Merlin has IBD and has had horrible flare-ups since March. He is now on 1000mg of Metronidazole (Flagyl) a day and WHAT a difference! :wow His appetite has been wonderful, his energy is wonderful, his cheekiness is back with a vengeance. :wub: We haven't been able to catch a breath and celebrate, though. About a month ago, before his last flare-up, Merlin did zoomies in the yard and subsequently developed a limp on his front left leg. We thought nothing of it - it has happened before following zoomies, and in the past the limp disappeared after a week of no running and shorter walks. Except that, this time, the limp hasn't gone away. In fact, it's gotten worse - a LOT worse. We didn't talk about it in depth with the vet sooner because we had to deal with another flare-up a couple of weeks ago - his worst to date, as it took him so long to recover from this last one :(

But last week I took him to our vet to have his leg examined - they were busy from an emergency so we rescheduled the x-ray for tomorrow. When she examined him, Dr. Katie was of the opinion that it was likely arthritis, and -- I know, it's crazy -- I am desperately hoping that tomorrow's x-ray will confirm that she is right. Two things give me hope:

1. I keep a journal of his medical issues (by the way, for any of you with iPhones, I use PawCard, which is free from the App Store - not sure if it's available on other platforms as well, but I LOVE it.), and looking through it, I noticed that he had the same issue with that same shoulder last November, than again in February.

2. Earlier this year he developed a protuberance on his left foot and we x-rayed it. Nothing there. But we noticed that he does NOT like us touching his left foot at all. He trembles sometimes when I'm squeazing it. What if he broke his toe or something? We thought it was his shoulder, because he stretches and then seems to feel better, but we could well be wrong.

I don't know. The vet says that if it were cancer it would most likely have gotten worse, and it hasn't. Well, that was true of things until this last week. He used to limp every time he got up. Then he'd stretch, and he'd be okay on his walks. Over the last week, he drags and walks with difficulty and his limp is pretty much constant :cry1

I just don't know what to think. I just need tomorrow to come fast and I need it to be over, because I NEED TO KNOW. I can't sleep, I have no appetite, I am one big messy knot of worry :(

Please - I need lots of good thoughts. Keep Merlin in your thoughts tomorrow at 8.30am. My baby boy HAS to be alright. He just has to be.

Thanks...

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping for clean x-rays. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sending all good thoughts for your Wizard -- there are a lot of things it could be, and I hope getting it checked out brings you relief (yep, I am a professional worrier).

Sending tons and tons of good thoughts for Merlin...and for you guys, too. Worry is hard. :( Hope you get nothing but good news! :)

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

When she examined him, Dr. Katie was of the opinion that it was likely arthritis, and -- I know, it's crazy -- I am desperately hoping that tomorrow's x-ray will confirm that she is right.

Going through something similar (Joe's exam is tomorrow); I very much understand how hopeful you are for a touch of arthritis! Joe has also gotten a bit gimpy after zoomies, then recovered in a day or so; this time it seems weird, so to the vet we go! Hubby's upset that I want it to be arthritis -- he hasn't read GT! Fingers crossed for the "good" diagnosis for both boys!

When she examined him, Dr. Katie was of the opinion that it was likely arthritis, and -- I know, it's crazy -- I am desperately hoping that tomorrow's x-ray will confirm that she is right.

Going through something similar (Joe's exam is tomorrow); I very much understand how hopeful you are for a touch of arthritis! Joe has also gotten a bit gimpy after zoomies, then recovered in a day or so; this time it seems weird, so to the vet we go! Hubby's upset that I want it to be arthritis -- he hasn't read GT! Fingers crossed for the "good" diagnosis for both boys!

Best of luck for Joe's visit tomorrow as well :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Best of luck for Joe's visit tomorrow as well :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Thank you!

Hoping you'll be back here tomorrow telling us "much ado about nothing."

Be well, Merlin!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We will have everything crossed here for the wizard - and that it a whole lot of paws.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Mustering every good thought and well-wish that we can for the Wizard.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest eaglflyt

I'm so sorry you're so worried and your boy is feeling so bad. I'm praying it's something small and treatable and that you will both have relief very soon.