Falling out of touch...Sort of...

For many years, I have always made it a priority to log on to all the greyhound groups I could and talk for hours with others about our hounds.  But then, it seemed like things were fading away from me.  Facebook became popular as well as instagram and twitter.  My days of exploring, talking with great folks dwindled.  Many of my friends left the greyhound forums due to either not owning greyhounds anymore, or decided that FB was the way to go.  

I am guilty of following that path.. Forgetting where I started at.  Life threw it's curve ball my way, and it seemed that I have been treading water ever since.  

We are down to 1 greyhound now.  Many groups in my area have folded.  It has become virtually impossible to adopt a greyhound anymore. My heart breaks... I have always envisioned that my home would be filled with at least 2 or three greys forever... 

I miss the days going to West VA to work on the farms.  I miss the days where many friends did nothing but talk greyhound.   Remember when we had the chat button on greytalk?  I would spend hours talking with Charlie (God rest his soul) and Jester.  And many more great people.  I learned so much from all of you.   

I cant say I will be a frequent member on this forum.  My life seems to get busier and busier anymore.   But I  will try and make the effort.

From my home to yours... Have a wonderful Holiday!   Enjoy your family.  hug your hounds...

Best,

Tammy Trivelpiece  (tammysroops)

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

Thank you for your heartfelt post. In a lot of ways I feel the same. I miss hearing about Rocket and Lexie's flaming romance and marriage; seeing Lexie model such beautiful and amazing styles; Joe T. Reporter's reports!; the wisdom and exploits of George of New England and on and on  SO MANY MORE. I remember all the greyhound festivals and sometimes the Greytalkers would meet up while there.  They were truly the good old days. We even had the bestest custom greyhound hat maker-I think her name was Donna maybe.  I still have her info at home with several of her beautiful creations.  As they say 'those were the days!".  Happy Thanksgiving to all humans and hounds.  Treasure your houndies. They have become an even rarer treasure now. :beatheart

Yes the good old days. Driving out to p/u a new foster every month or two. We managed over 70 in the past. Some good ,some  so so. We made a difference in THEIR lives and they ours. I currently own 3 and a standard poodle. After our group shut down, I joined up with an active  group in Tarpon Springs. They have been getting greys from Ark, Iowa and W Virginia. Dozens have come in from Ireland. We did foster 2 from Ireland. They are not the same as our American kids.  All they want to eat is bangers and mash and Bushmills 

Good to see you again Tammi. 

We have made some awesome friends here (who are really more like family.) I don't do Facebook or other social media other than reading garbage posts on Reddit which is more like tabloid content to me. Our greyhound family is here on GT. 

We still have the Pimp Hat that Miss Donna made for Rocket, and one of Lexie's Hats that Miss Donna also made. Each of our kids have worn those hats (at least for pictures). Unfortunately, we lost Miss Donna to an illness a few years ago, so she is now with our bridge pups taunting them with new hats.  Thanksgiving is Rocket's birthday, so we will be having French Fries for Thanksgiving Dinner. :lol

Lexie's parents do not have any dogs at this point but we are still in touch with them and they are doing well. Lexie's Mom still pops in here from time to time and I know she is on Facebook as well. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I miss the pre-FB days too. Like Don, GT is pretty much the extent of my social media and I miss those friends and family we met here who have departed for other circles. Please come back when you can, it was nice to see your post!

Don, I now know what we are doing for Thanksgiving dinner :lol :beatheart

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I, too, remember you well Tammy and I know you were a Houndtime Clocks customer. 

While we are being nostalgic; the Greyhound L was my bible.  I would print it out all day long, and read it on the way home on the commuter bus. 

Secret Pals numbered over 100. 

Luckily for us, the local groups are still functioning. We are down to one boy.  I would suggest that if you are interested in adopting another greyhound to contact Greyhound Angels in New Jersey.  They have an on-site kennel and get dogs on a regular basis from West Virginia.  They do adopt out of the area, but you are hardly out of the area.

We live so close to Reach the Beach so that is the one event that we attend.  

We wish you a wonderful holiday season.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Glad you dropped by. :wave 

I too miss the pre-fb days. I tried following some fb Greyhound groups but they were too busy and too ... argumentative. I do love it when Lexie's mom posts LFA (Lexie from above) pics. Sometimes I see Batmom's posts. There are a few other people I "see" on fb. For Greyhound news, I much prefer this group.

Very few Greyhounds are making it to Canada. I still have three (12, 13, and 14) and a standard poodle (almost 9). I don't expect to bring home another Grey, but we'll see ...

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Don’t do Facebook.  Don’t have any greyhounds left.   Love the “friends” I made on gt over the years…..and love posts like yours Tammy to see all the oldies come out to say hello!  Thanks for starting this.  I was actually on this morning looking for the famous Thanksgiving “Grammy picture”!   😂😂.  Remember when gt was the go to for setting up gur drives and finding lost greyhounds?   I’m also, unfortunately, one of the original “osteo thread” moms…..you folks got me through some rough times.   Thank you to all and very thankful to my gt friends.

I also miss the old days and the fun we used to have.  But now I'm hound-less and it feels somehow odd to be here.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I remember the good ole days too...not that this is the bad ole days, just different ole days. I used to read greytalk forums every day, often multiple times a day. But I found fb so much easier to post pics and stuff, so I have strayed away. I also remember reading posts on the GList many years ago.

I joined greytalk in 2004 originally. I learned so much, shared so much, loved so much and grieved so much. Presently, we have 2 greyhounds, Simon who is 9 and Emmy who is 11. Sadly, we are waiting for confirmation of bone cancer in her jaw. I can't bear the thoughts of losing her, so feeling pretty low and sad right now is an understatement. 

Greytalk feels like a loss in my life too, probably because I never dreamed there would be such drastic changes in the greyhound racing industry and the availability of greyhounds would be so scarce, especially here in Ontario and people would move on. With the proliferation of other forms of social media, I am grateful that GT still exists in this form, although I read much more than I post and I often wonder if people remember me.

The only constant in life is change.

Jan 

•  Follow topic
  • Submit Reply

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• 2 weeks later...

As an european member involved in greyhound adoption from Ireland I can tell you that several american groups get irish hounds to adopt. It might be worth a look. And if you find a hound for you, I can help you connect with previous owner, breeder or trainer if you like. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tammy- Nice to see a familiar name. I always saw your name on the Holiday card list!

An evolving need is for experienced grey people to adopt "bounces"/ "returns".  As you know, many times it is not the fault of the dog, but, still the dog needs to go to experienced hands in order to deal with whatever resulted in their return. Or sometimes the health of the owners declines and their animals need new homes. Our two most recent additions to our pack were both returns and both needed a new home or at least a foster home pretty quickly. As Irene mentioned, GAA is getting dogs. And they have an open door policy to take back dogs. Need for homes for returns is usually on the Facebook page.  Once the dogs have been in homes, it's really hard on them to have to return to kennel life. You might join the Facebook groups for GAA and the nearest groups to you... and just watch and then you can volunteer if needed.

Happy Holidays!

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.

Tammy, Grateful Greyhounds in NY still gets greyhounds, galgos, and podencos. Their FB page seems more active than their dot com page. They helped me get my first podenco, Hada.

https://www.facebook.com/GratefulGreyhounds

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Tammy- I remember you!  I also haven’t been on in forever as well.  I tend to occasionally post on the FB site, but overall life has gotten in the way.  I lost Rook over a year ago and have welcomed a new pup, Ozzy.  He will be one in a week and a half.  He came to us at 12 weeks.  Yes, greyhound puppies are definitely landsharks.  But basically just the same as most active puppies.  Welcome back!  

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Hi Tammy!!  I met you several times at Dewey.

All my grey friends were on here... I've lost touch with a lot of them.  I think I joined in 2002!  Is that possible???

And I still have My Dottie Hi Socks book!!  Pawtographed!

Jeannine

Jeannine with Lili & Okie, the kitty sisters and Cody grey-girl waiting at the bridge (along with kitties Weenie & Merlin)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We’ll just me, Charlies_Dad, signing in because I miss my pups and chatting about the crazy Greys. No Greys any longer and my heart aches but do have two small pups that make me smile. One of the special things I can say I have done in my life is adopt a Grey or two. There is nothing like them and yes they change you in so many ways.

And no I do not do FB.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

1 hour ago, Charlies_Dad said:

We’ll just me, Charlies_Dad, signing in because I miss my pups and chatting about the crazy Greys. No Greys any longer and my heart aches but do have two small pups that make me smile. One of the special things I can say I have done in my life is adopt a Grey or two. There is nothing like them and yes they change you in so many ways.

And no I do not do FB.

Kyle, it is so good to hear from you!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 7:42 PM, BatterseaBrindl said:

:wave  Kyle

Hi Jan and Nancy, great to see you both here. I know I have been absent but my heart will always will be with the Greys until my last breath. I hope you are both well and the your pups are doing well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

1 hour ago, Charlies_Dad said:

Hi Jan and Nancy, great to see you both here. I know I have been absent but my heart will always will be with the Greys until my last breath. I hope you are both well and the your pups are doing well.

Don't be a stranger...pop in every now and then...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg