Fenway Is In Kidney Failure

gracegirl

Typing through tears with a terrible headache, so please forgive if I'm not writing in clear and complete sentences.

5 1/2 years ago Fenway was diagnosed with "kidney damage of an unspecified origin". Diagnosed through low USG and confirmed with an ultrasound.

He's now 2 weeks shy of his 10th birthday and he's not doing well.

We've been monitoring bloodwork closely even few months to keep an eye on his health. In January his kidney values skyrocketed so we started him on the prescription diet. They've been steady since. Not better, but not worse. Just in the last week Fenway has been more lethargic and not eating well. Took him for bloodwork this morning and his numbers are off the charts. They don't know how high, because they literally can't measure high enough in house. His blood pressure is also high.

Took him back to the vet for subQ fluids. They showed me how to administer them at home. So today and tomorrow I'll be giving subQ fluids so we can see how he responds. Since his blood pressure is high, we are starting slow. The other option was to hospitalize him for IV fluids, which I'm not ready to do yet. Maybe next week if necessary. I won't take heroic measures to keep him alive just for my sake. He's not going to get better, right now it's just a matter of making him comfortable.

What can I expect from here? Do we have days left? Weeks? I'm going to do what I can to get him to eat anything at all. He turned down ravioli for breakfast. We will try a turkey and cheese sandwich for lunch.

Send prayers please. I want my buddy to feel better.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear about Fenway. I've had a cat who died of kidney failure and it was hard to watch. The subq fluids would make her seem like her old self, but it only lasted for a day at a time. I only kept her alive for a few days at Christmas cause I didn't want her to have to go to the e-vet to be put to sleep. I wish I had better info; maybe for dogs it's different.

Guest Sportingfields

Hugs, so very sorry to read this. Will keep our paws crossed and all of you in our prayers.

ETA: I think the sub Q and whatever else your vet has suggested is worth trying. Even if it means a night or two at the hospital, should things not be going well at home. They can rally, for many reasons.

As to what to expect, they are all different. In 2003 FIL went into renal failure, side affect of congestive heart failure. He was on dialysis three times weekly, we lost him 2 yrs later when he couldn't handle the treatments anymore. One things his doctors did say at the start of the dialysis, each day is a blessing now, do what you want, when you want, and eat whatever you feel like, when you feel like doing so. Quality of life is more important than the number of days. So I pass that advice onto you. Enjoy your time together, let Fenway dictate the days and take buckets of pictures as those will comfort you in the years to come. :grouphug

Edited by Sportingfields

We tried a couple days-only in hospital to have IV fluids; I took him in in the a.m. and brought him home in the evening. Then we did some subq fluids at home, too.

If he responds to the fluids, you might have some time. If he doesn't ... IIRC we had 10-12 days after first knowing that the numbers were W T F . Half of that was trying to get things turned around, and I don't know that I'd do that again. Nothing worked, for us.

I fed all kinds of things -- whatever he showed the smallest interest in eating. Chicken strips, honey nut shredded wheat, tripett, you name it.

Hugs and best thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

While I'm sure it differs somewhat, I too have been through this with a cat, and it's so hard. I'm very sorry you're facing this and send my good thoughts to all of you.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

We tried a couple days-only in hospital to have IV fluids; I took him in in the a.m. and brought him home in the evening. Then we did some subq fluids at home, too.

If he responds to the fluids, you might have some time. If he doesn't ... IIRC we had 10-12 days after first knowing that the numbers were W T F . Half of that was trying to get things turned around, and I don't know that I'd do that again. Nothing worked, for us.

I fed all kinds of things -- whatever he showed the smallest interest in eating. Chicken strips, honey nut shredded wheat, tripett, you name it.

Hugs and best thoughts.

This is helpful. Thank you. We will see how the subQ fluids make him feel. Might try them at home until Tuesday morning. If he's not doing well I might drop him off on Tuesday morning at the vet for IV fluids and get him that night after work.

So far he'll eat Arby's roast beef sandwiches, Iams biscuits (bought two varieties), chicken lunch meat sandwiches, and scrambled eggs. He turned down his kidney food, Jackson's food, Tripett, and a peanut butter sandwich.

I also have ground beef, ground turkey and sweet potato fries to try as well.

He's also on blood pressure medication, starting today. Will probably not drag it out any longer than this week if he doesn't respond to the fluids.

Edited by gracegirl

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Just :grouphug for you both.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. We lost our first greyhound to kidney failure, so I know what you're going through right now. {{{HUGS}}} for you and Fenway and your family.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so sorry, I'm hoping you are able to have some more time with him.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I lost a grey to kidney failure. We chose not to do sub-Q. We learned of our dog's kidney issues through a blood test for a dental - and it was advanced when we found out. So -I found out at the point you are now.

IMHO - you need to prepare. If he's becoming lethargic, and loosing his appetite, the time is coming. You can make him comfortable for a while. Feed him low-phosphate food. You'll need to get creative because he won't want to eat. Distilled water. See my posts about Diana. I did a TON of research, and extended her comfortable life for a few months. We had up days and down days. But you need to understand - it's only weeks or months.

No matter what you do - you are at the end. Comfort measures are absolutely a wonderful thing. But - when they stop working - and they WILL - know it's time to let him go. There is NO cure. There is NO win. There's only extension of lifespan. Make sure it's a good life. Every day of it. And when it's not - have the respect for your dog to let him go.

No matter what you do - and what you do does help - Your dog is going to wither away in front of you. Loose energy, loose weight, loose muscle tone. You are going to watch him waste away like a starving child. The only question is - how long is that OK?

I waited until my dog fell down. And I felt guilty that I'd waited too long.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. But it's aweful to live through. Just let your dog go before he suffers. You just can't win this one. I tried. We can't.

I've had 5 with kidney failure. Four I was able to nurse along with sub-q fluids, nutraceuticals, and whatever-they-would-eat (appetite is a huge problem for kidney dogs) for varying periods of time. One was already in big trouble when diagnosed, and she was almost 14 and had other weaknesses; I let her go.

I hope that you can get Fenway feeling better and stabilized.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I've had 5 with kidney failure. Four I was able to nurse along with sub-q fluids, nutraceuticals, and whatever-they-would-eat (appetite is a huge problem for kidney dogs) for varying periods of time. One was already in big trouble when diagnosed, and she was almost 14 and had other weaknesses; I let her go.

I hope that you can get Fenway feeling better and stabilized.

Thank you! Fenway is not quite 10 so we will see how he responds to the fluids. He's still eating so it's a wait-and-see game right now.

I know it can't be reversed, but if we can have a few good weeks or months together, I have to try.

Sounds like cheeseburgers are in order :) and perhaps some lovely ground meat from the butcher.

I'm sorry you are going through this with Fenway. As you said, make him comfortable and make these his BEST days. If he's able, do some of his favourite things together.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

no advice, just hugs and prayers :hope :hope :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I lost my first grey to kidney failure. In her case, I believe it was a side effect of her heart meds. She stopped eating, and sub-q fluids did not help, so I had to let her go. However, I have had a couple of cats with kidney disease that sub-q fluids really helped make them feel better, so it is definitely worth a try.

:bighug