Fenway Is In Kidney Failure

gracegirl

I hope you have many good days left with your boy. We'll send some white light to help give you as much time as possible. Give your boy a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you get more time together. One of my dogs stopped eating, and was wasting away in front of me from other issues. At the end, she would eat scrambled eggs, raw burgers, some cheese, and vanilla ensure. I had the bright idea of using vanilla ensure to make the scrambled eggs. Don't ever try that. She loved it, but I gagged, and eventually threw up while feeding it to her.

Hugs to you! The end is always so hard!

I'm so sorry. Sending warm, healing thoughts that the fluids will help and that there will be more happy days together.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I'll try the ensure today. He's eating ground turkey, ground beef and chicken breasts. All cooked. Refusing eggs (used to be his favorite) and cheese. And all the treats I got at Petsmart that's he was eating yesterday. I'll keep offering in case he changes his mind.

Should I get a phosphorus binder on board? His phosphorus levels were okay up until yesterday. Is this something that can be bought at Petsmart or a local specialty store?

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

If his phos levels are OK, no need. AFAIK you'd need to get from the vet but I may be wrong.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If his phos levels are OK, no need. AFAIK you'd need to get from the vet but I may be wrong.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. His phosphorus levels were okay until yesterday. Results of yesterday's bloodwork showed the levels to be off the charts/unmeasurable. :(

If I need them from a vet I will make sure to ask when I speak to Dr. Joseph tomorrow.

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

So sorry to hear this news. Hope so much that the sub q fluids help. :grouphug.

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

:(

Normal antacids like Tums can be used but I don't know how effective they are. Oddly, we didn't have a phosphorus problem.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How is Fenway acting? Is he lethargic or more like his normal self (before this came up)? It was when the subQ didn't work any longer and Tabitha just laid around that we had to make the decision to let her go. But if he's enjoying being petted or going outside, that's good news.

He's far from energetic, but when I asked if wanted to go for a ride in the car he jumped off the couch and followed me around the house.

They said the sub-q fluids could take a day or two to help. We just started them yesterday. If they are not helping, I'll take a day off this week and send him on his way. I won't keep him around forever if he's truly not going to rebound, but I want to give him a fighting chance if he's not ready to go yet.

Cottage cheese was my girl's go to - protein but not meat. Too bad he won't eat eggs. :(

{{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He just threw up everything he ate today. :(

I called my friend who is an e-vet. She's working today. I think she might help him cross the bridge later today.

The sub-q fluids don't seem to be helping that much. He's very lethargic now after throwing up. I know that fluids will only prolong the enevitable.

Please reassure me its okay to let him go.

Aw, **.

I'm sorry. <-- Jeez what stupid inadequate words those are.

It's OK to let him go.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

:grouphug it's OK :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It's ok. It sucks. But it's ok. My heart goes out to you. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Perhaps I'm too late to post but, if not--If you want to go forward with treating him he needs to be hospitalized to receive IV fluids to diurese those kidneys. SubQ fluids should have even been offered at this point. Considering a cat can receive 300ml/day giving a large dog 1 liter/day just isn't enough to try to bring elevated renal values down-sq's will help to maintain but,they are ineffective when the values are as elevated as you stated. He should also be on Pepcid and cerenia to reduce nausea. You can pick up a phosphorus binder at a Walgreens...

I'll be thinking of you today <3