Maggie - L's Magnolia

maggiespet

My sweetest girl is gone. I've known this was coming - but in true Maggie form - she let me know it was time.

If you'll bear with me, I'd like to share a few Maggie stories that I'll hold close forever.

- For being a Florida girl, she sure hated wearing a coat. She just loved those first few cooler days of fall with the snap of crisp air. And she loved prancing around in the snow. naked.

- She had an exceptionally high prey drive. Nothing under 27# (that was a big groundhog) was safe in our yard. Including birds. In her youth, she could take birds right out of the air as they would swoop down into our yard. As squirrels would run down the solid privacy fence and shake their tails at her, she'd make a big loop in the yard, pick up some speed and do a leaping body smash into the fence - because 50% of the time, the squirrel would fall on our side of the fence - and then they were hers. And she was so very proud of every kill. She'd deposit the carcass right by the door for me. Gruesome yes - but part of life with a high prey drive dog.

- She was a meet and greet wonder. As people would be telling me how fearful they are of big dogs, Maggie would end up by the end of our conversation under their hand - they had been petting her for a few minutes and didn't even realize it! So much for the fear!

- She loved to run. And she loved to be first. At greyhound playgroups, she was such an instigator for racing around the perimeter of the fencing. Even after all the hounds were thoroughly tired out, she'd still be trying to get them to go. And after playgroup was over and the humans were chatting as we gathered up our stuff, she'd lay down in exhaustion and not be willing to get up. Many times, I had to carry her to the car. She did so love to run.

Dick (dmdsmoxie) was kind enough to look at the racing comments on greyhound-data and give me some insight as to what kind of a racer she was. He wrote this:

"Maggie ran 65 races all at JCKC. She didn't have much early speed and didn't really rush the turn. To run 65 races you have to be something and what she was, was a closer. She needed extra distance and it didn't take long for her to be moved to the longer 3/8th races. She could come from 7th or 8th to win at times, but getting 5th or 6th heading up the front stretch the first time gave her a better chance to be in the top two.

In A and B she really needed to be 4th or better up the front stretch the first time to have a chance to win and as she got older she learned to break a little better and was able to do that and more at times.

She was a dog that was always trying."

Thank you Pam Davis for getting my girl out of that hellhole, JCKC. The stars must have aligned perfectly. The work that you all did there was truly amazing and God-ful.

This photo was taken by my very talented friend, Tricia Goode. It is my very favorite and was taken at GIG a few years ago.

My sweet girl was all heart. And she took a huge hunk of mine with her. Love ya forever my sassy girl.

post-21266-0-45137800-1452603981_thumb.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I'm so sorry, Jane. Maggie has always been one of my very favourites. Take care of yourself, ok?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Oh Jane, I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear of your loss of sweet Maggie. Thankfully, Pam got both Maggie and Brooke out of JCKC.

Rest in peace sweet pea...I know your mama is realy hurting right now.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry it was Maggie's time to go.

Happy Trails pretty girl.........as you race across that bridge, head for the outside, and take all those other hounds with you....all of you running free & fast.

What a sight to behold!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Maggie my bridge angel Sabrina & i meet you in the fur a few years ago. As your mom says you were a sweetie.Now go join the other angels & play leap cloud.

:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

You have to love a sassy gal who has a squirrel attack plan down pat. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry you have had to say see you later to your beautiful Maggie. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Maggie.

You made some very special memories. Remember them... and smile...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest goofydog

I was so sorry to see Maggie Mays name earlier. Jane, please know that Maggie loved you as much as you loved her. I remember her sassy self when Pam and I were up there. Such a character! Thinking of you and the family this evening.

She was incredibly beautiful, wasn't she? That face :wub: . I'm so sorry she had to leave you.

Godspeed, Maggie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Even thought I responded on FB yesterday, I still feel your emotional sorrow. I am glad I got to meet Maggie, in real time. My best memory is that Philadelphia event. Beautiful day and great event. Too bad it was never repeated.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Gosh what a gorgeous girl! I am so very sorry that she had to leave.

Godspeed Maggie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.