Twiggy Had A Stroke

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending hugs.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Pinky acted that way post amp when she needed to go out. My assumption was always that she knew that needing to go out meant she had to get up, which at the time was laborious and somewhat stressful at first. Once she was able to rest again after being out she was relieved (in more ways than one, lol) and could rest again.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Wendy, do you have one of the RuffWear harnesses?? They are more comfortable for both parties than a sling or other kind of support harness, and it enables you to carry/support/move her much more easily.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How about keeping a Twiggy journal with the timing of meds, her activities, potty times. Might help to see a pattern of ups and downs and ups.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

So glad to hear Twiggy is home with her momma, getting the love she needs. I'm sure she is happier at home, just like you are that she is home. Sending good thoughts for her full recovery.

Do you have someone who can check on her when you are at work? We know you can't stay home with her at this time.

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

Hoping she continues to improve.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm not sure I would give Trazodone and Tramadol together--could cause a serotonin syndrome. Muscle spasms and tremors are clinical signs.

Yes, it's not a common pairing to produce it, but it's possible and can be deadly if the medications are continued and it progresses.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I did stop the trazadone, just in case. I believe she only had 7 doses total since the stroke, & last one was yesterday morning.

Chris, I don't have a Ruff wear harness, but fond harnesses in general are ineffective for her because they slip around without her left leg to keep things anchored.

Great suggestion about the log, Ducky. In general so far it seems the agitation is more related to having to go pottty, or being unhappy about which side she lays on. The tremors go away when she eats and sleeps, so I'm thinking it might be pain related.

I am keeping Twiggy at the vet's office next door while I'm at work, but I will call an in home house sitter to look into that option too.

Today's good news: when she was getting restless, out of habit I asked her if she wanted to go out to potty & she jumped right up! Stumbled a bit and I had to catch her and steady her to help her walk, but she did it. She got up on her own again a little later when I put her collar on to go to the vets office.

So, baby steps...

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Good girl, Twiggy!!!! :yay:yay:yay

I forgot she was a front leg amp! :blush Sounds like she won't need it soon anyway!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

continuing to send many, many prayers that she continues to improve!!! :hope :Hope :hope :Hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

We've been thinking about Twiggy today! Hope she's getting some good rest and keeping up that enthusiastic spirit :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Keep it up, Twiggy! So glad to catch up, and sending continued good wishes to her and to you!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

More baby steps today…

At the vet’s office, she was agitated and standing in her kennel to the point that they were worried she would hurt herself and asked if they could give her some dexdomitor. I agreed, but she still didn’t settle much. They walked her around the office, and she decided she wanted to hang out in the back office with everyone, and spent the rest of the day more or less happy.

When I went to bring her out of the office, she was so excited to GET OUT OF THERE, she practically ran to the door (all wonky and lopsided, but nonetheless…)

Later I brought her back outside to go potty, but she told me she did not have to by turning herself around and starting to hop back toward the front door.

When it was dinnertime, I knelt down next to her to position the bowl under her mouth, but she decided she had to eat standing up like a big girl, and so she did – attacking the food in the bowl until it was all gone.

After that, I asked her if she needed to go outside. She immediately turned away from the door and started walking the opposite way down the hall. So I grabbed a bed that was close at hand and tossed it in front of her & she proceeded to make a good attempt at laying down on it (something she has been unable to do until now).

Since then, she has been comfortably snoozing on her bed in the location of her choice.

Not bad for a day’s work!

Oh, & one of the techs has volunteered to pet sit her tomorrow at my house, so she will be in comfortable surroundings and in great hands! (Any ideas on what I should pay her? Today’s hospitalization bill was only $45, but that seems too low. A 24-hour in-house pet sitter I have used in the past is $75 (which still seems quite reasonable).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Last February our boy Rufus had a stroke. He went blind in one eye and kind of careened into a wall. Sounded a lot like what you described in Twiggy. The vet wasn't a lot of help, basically ruled some stuff out, but couldn't confirm the stroke without sending us to Phoenix and spending thousands on tests. So on the advice of another vet we treated him as if he had in fact had a stroke. This included getting him out for walks to help regain his mobility. And putting him on a regimen of half a baby aspirin daily to prevent a recurrence. He's still on the half aspirin daily. Anyway, about a week after the stroke you literally would not guess he'd had one. The only telltale sign now is a sometimes wonky ear that he didn't used to have. Other than that, he's absolutely fine. Hope you continue to see rapid results with Twiggy.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I pay my overnight sitter $50/nt for 2 dogs. I really want to pay her more, but can't and she was okay with that. She does come and go but we always agree on the schedule in advance. I think $45-50 for one sick dog is probably reasonable. Not sure what the cost of living is there compared to here though.

Glad she's continuing to improve!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Wendy, when my Picadilly's pain meds were wearing off, she'd get tremors and statue until the pain meds took hold again ... I'm so glad that Twiggy seems to be getting better and the pain and discomfort are tapering off a bit.

Do you need help over the weekend?