Twiggy Had A Stroke

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We paid $50 a day for a full time vet tech to stay at the house with multiple greyhounds. We also would leave extra food for them and a little extra money for food in case they would like to order a pizza.

Hug to Twiggy and her mom. Keep up the good work.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Twiggy had another very good day!

Jamie came back today for a half day to sit with Twiggy & she refused to take any money! Also, the vet's office refused to charge me for her stay yesterday and gave me a big discount on the previous day's office visit. Needless to say, they have been amazing!! ( and a variety of people-treats will be making their way to their office soon!)

I am beyond delighted to report that Twiggy is still improving, & tonight she decided to go on a (very short) adventure walk.

First, we walked to the corner to the vet's office where she weighed herself and then got cookies and pets from everyone. Then, she had to walk another block to the flower shop for more cookies and attention. She also can go up and down 2 steps awkwardly, and up/down 1 step with relative ease.

She continues to amaze me!

Tomorrow, she will board at the vet's again and get numerous tests to evaluate her kidney values. It now seems that she will be able to stay at home unsupervised for 3-4 hours at a time by the time Monday rolls around.

Continued THANKS to all who are pulling for my willful little girl!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Awesome update!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Wonderful news. We are still sending good thought and cheers across the ocean.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

:balloonparty Go Twiggy!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Twiggy continues to do very well, all things considered!

Yesterday she started getting up on my pull-out loveseat bed for snuggles or to tell me she wants to go out. She has been going up and down the 2 steps into the downstairs room well and is sleeping in her slumberball frequently,

Just now, we got home from her longest post-stroke walk yet. about 4.5 blocks total. She wanted to go further, but between her wobbly back end, icy patches and a bunch of ice melting products of some of the sidewalks, I figure it was best to cut it short.

She does seem to have plateaued a bit, and she still has a significant head tilt along with a tendency to misjudge the location of things on her left (causing her to knock her head into door jambs if I'm not careful. However, she does very well on walks when she can lope along with me jogging next to her.

We started 1/2 low-dose aspirin per day, along with a pepcid (per Dr. Couto's general recommendations & her vet's approval), and also 25 mg meclazine per day (per her vet's recommentation).

Although she may not improve all that much more from here, she is clearly enjoying her walks and life so this is very very good!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Very glad to hear she is doing so well :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:yay:yay:yay

Time is going to be your friend. Cash had several weeks where I thought she wouldn't get any better, and then one day she would improve. {{{smooches}}} for Twiggy!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

yay Twiggy!!!! :kiss2 :kiss2 You are my favorite little girl (always have been!)

I've been giving the boyz a 1/4 of a baby aspirin every day (and a 1/2 a Kirkland acid controller -- Famotidine? every other day) since they reached 5 (Dr. Couto says 7 years but I don't think it hurts). I've read nothing but good things about doing it. I myself take a baby aspirin every day, have for years. :) I think my heart's ok, don't ask about my liver :lol

sending more healing hugs and prayers to the most AMAZING girl and her unbelievably wonderful mom :D

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway