Tessa Noelle (Less Tolerant) 6-1-2004---5-23-2015

queenwinniesmom

I posted some of this tribute on Facebook, but I wanted to write a bit more for Greytalk. In Fall of 2006, I met the foster coordinator of Going Home Greyhounds to pick up our newest foster dog. We had been told that she was only 18 months old, and we were hesitant to foster such a young dog. She'll be wild and crazy, we thought, and we're getting older. But we decided to go ahead. I should have known that there were other factors at work. In July, we'd lost our heart dog, Nick, and I'd asked him if he could send us another special dog to help our hearts heal. Well, Nick was smarter than we were about what we needed. In no time at all, it was clear that this Less Tolerant was the essence of Nick in the body of a little red brindle female. She quickly became Tess, and we decided that she had to stay forever. I'll admit, this was rather selfish on our part, because she was absolutely perfect.

Mostly she was our sweet baby girl, but she was also so much more---beautiful, patient, joyful, silly, vocal, charming, kind, photogenic, brave, strong, fast, loving, innocent, smart, happy to be wherever she was, and friendly to every person and animal. She was so very special, and I don't think there will ever be another dog who will shine so brightly, and hold our hearts so effortlessly in her paws. Her only fault (if you could call it that) was that she was a whiner. We sometimes called her Tessa Weiner, like that kvetching family on Saturday Night Live. But that vocalizing also extended to rooing. She would roo on command, and I'll admit, we asked her to do that often. She always obliged. Tess started many, many roo fests, and celebrated other hounds who had gone to the Bridge. She was the best, and she could always make us smile. She so loved her weekend car rides with her Dad and brother and sisters that she would be distraught if Doug left the house on a Saturday without her. Several times, he had to put on his uniform so she would think he was going to work. Even her racing name was amusing, because it was so clearly inappropriate. She should have been MOST Tolerant. Or better, "Most Tolerant Dog In The Whole Wide World" (kinda long for a racing name, but it fit). She was also the Cat Whisperer (and had a bandana to acknowledge that), so accepting, even when Sam would rub against her when she was chewing on a bone. I don't think she realized that sometimes dogs growl, or are suspicious, or aloof. She was almost as skilled as Lydia at rocking a Meet and Greet, and making friends (and that is the highest compliment). She didn't lean against people and look deeply into their eyes, like her sister, but she would trot eagerly up to anyone and let them know that she couldn't be more thrilled that they were there. Everyone was a potential friend---when she met them, and forever. And she got to make friends all over the country---many Deweys, Gettysburgs, Grapehounds, Washington DC, and Geneva On The Lake Ohio.

Even as the years passed, we always thought of her as the baby, and somehow couldn't imagine her getting older. She was so healthy and full of life. But over the last few months, we knew something was very wrong. Our always slim Tess lost an alarming amount of weight, and her stools were progressively looser. When bloodwork confirmed our fears, we tried hard to get things under control. But PLE, like osteo, is a monster. The prednisone that was necessary has many terrible side effects, and there is a danger of fluid and blood building up in the abdomen and lungs. The possibility of cancer was likely. This past week, with injectable pred and a new limited ingredient diet that she liked, there was some improvement. Even as that wretched disease robbed her of all nourishment, and turned her sleek body into skin and bones, there was joy in her eyes and in her heart. But our precious girl was growing weaker and more tired, even though she seemed to us to still be the Tess that we loved, wanting the next hug or kiss, the next treat, the next leisurely walk with Calvin. When she had difficulty on the steps, the PLE symptoms became more pronounced, and there was the danger of a stroke, we knew we had to let her go before she was in too much pain, before she was afraid, and turning inward. And we were blessed to be able to do that. She had a pretty normal week, taking walks and eating well. But on Thursday, when she stumbled on the steps (our damn outside steps) and collapsed briefly, we knew we couldn't take the chance that she would hurt herself trying to go up and down. We made the heartwrenching decision to let her go on Saturday. I was able to stay home with her all day on Friday, and she had a good day, sitting on the porch in the beautiful weather, having her picture taken, getting many hugs and kisses and "I love yous", and many treats. She could finally have something special without it hurting her. Yesterday, Doug was able to be home as well, and she had steak all morning, a short walk before her last car ride (how she adored car rides), treats on the ride, and treats while waiting for the vet. They brought a soft blanket for her, and after she'd had about 10 treats, she laid down and waited quietly. I think she loved life and her family so much that she was being strong so she wouldn't have to leave. But she finally knew she had permission, and she slipped peacefully away with her Mom and Dad holding her and telling her how good and perfect she was, and how very much she was loved. I'm certain she knew. I think Polly was waiting for her, so she wouldn't be lonely. I said to Doug, I hope she finally meets Nick, so they can thank each other, and get to hang out. I told her, sweetie, you'll know the big, gorgeous guy right away, he looks like Calvin (to which Doug added---"only nicer"). Saying goodbye was one of the hardest things we've ever done, but we were so blessed to have shared her life for 9 1/2 years, and for that, we'll always be grateful. To all the friends she knew, and the ones she never met---please send her a loud, long, and loving roo. She was the champion rooer, and that would make her smile.

Deciding what pictures to post was hard, because she was almost ridiculously photogenic, and there are so many. All she had to do was be there, especially if she put that right ear up and gave you a big smile. Her happiness just shone so clear and bright.

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0410.jpg

Tess%20coat%202.jpg

Gettysburg

Tess%20winery.jpg

Doug%20winery%201.jpg

gettysburg%201%20150.jpg

Grapehounds

Doug%20Kings%20Garden%201.jpg

3%20dogs%20park.jpg

GRAPEHOUND%202014%20245.jpg

Dewey Beach

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

Silly at Grapehounds

GRAPEHOUND%202014%20243.jpg

This is quintessential Tess. We'll love you and miss you forever, baby girl.

happyTess.jpg

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry you've had to say goodbye to this lovely girl.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

That was a beautiful tribute to your gorgeous girl.

Run free, Tess. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Oh, how brightly her happiness shines in these pictures! :beatheart I'm so sorry for your loss.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

So very sorry for the loss of yiur special Tess.

So many memories.... Remember them all....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

What a beautiful tribute to your Tessa. :beatheart Those final days are so sad and bittersweet at the same time. She lived a great life. I know saying that won't help to ease your sadness now, but in the future you can look back and remember all of the good times you had.

Rest in Peace Tessa.

What a beauty!!

your love for her, reflected back at you thru her eyes!!!

Forever in your heart ~ :candle

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Oh Nancy & Doug when they cross it is always so hard especially the ones that bury themselves deeply in our hearts

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

RIP Tessa :angelwings you are young & well forever

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

rest in peace sweet Tess...we will miss you. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I can see why it was so hard to say goodbye. :beatheart Tess was a beauty.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What a beautiful girl, Tess's spirit and love shine through in every image! She celebrated and loved her life with you!

I am so sorry for your loss.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Tess was beautiful and sweet. I'm so glad that we had the chance to meet her. I'm sorry for your loss of your perfect girl, Nancy and Doug. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan