Remy Has Joined The Osteo Club :o(

I can't believe I am typing this. Remy has Osteo. Right shoulder. Higher grade (aggressive). Has not affected lungs. I don't know what to do. He can't catch a break. He was in extreme pain Tuesday morning. Nothing helped. Not walking, not standing, not sitting, not laying down. Bone biopsy resuts came back today. I am lost. I don't thnk he could stand an amputation. He just got over a difficult Achilles tendon repair surgery, and looong difficult recovery. He is back to walking and running normally, but he holds the rear left leg when standing. How can he lose the rigt front leg now? He has corns on both front paws. He should stand on a painful front left leg, and back right leg, while holding the back left leg up? I can't see it. I don't want to cause him any more pain. He isn't the confident, playful 10 years YOUNG grey. He is a rather old 10 year old. The doesn't tolerate the heat well at all, and summer is coming. We'll have to cut down our walks drastically once it gets over 70 degrees.

I don't know what to do. Does chemo help? Is radiation different than chemo? What is it going to do to him? I imagine he'll need to be on painkillers, but how will all the meds/chemo/radiation affect him? Please share your experience with me. I've never had the heart to read the osteo thread as it was too hearbreaking and overwhelming. I know i need to read it now to prepare. If he gets just chemo/radiation and pain mgmt, how much time do I have? I know it's different with every dog, but I've also heard that OS in the front is much worse than in the back. What am I looking at? 6 weeks? 6 months? are we going to be in and out of the vet the entire time?

This is my heart boy. He never raced due to a terrible injury to his rear right leg. He was put into a blood donor program for 4 yrs. I got him a month after being retired from the blood program. He's ony been with me 3 yrs and 9 mos. I can't even imagine life without him. i can't stop crying.

DSCN1727_zps077f8b6b.jpg

DSCN1808_zps18895847.jpg

DSCN1793_zps08038c7c.jpg

remysmilingGAApicnic2-1-2.jpg

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for your bad news. Based on what you wrote, it sounds like he's not really a candidate for amputation. A consult with an oncologist to review palliative care options may be helpful. I know the osteo thread seems overwhelming, but the first post has a lot of good information. :grouphug:

Edited by Saharasmom

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Sorry to hear the news. My dog had osteo same place, but was very far advanced when we figured it out.

My friend's dog was diagnosed with osteo in a front leg in early October. He has been doing well on pain meds for six months, but they told her six weeks. Every dog is different. Her dog looks and acts like a healthy dog. He doesn't know that he is sick. There is sooo much info in the osteo thread, as well as personal stories. The thread didn't exist when I was facing osteo. Take advantage of it to arm yourself with knowledge to bring to discussions with your vet. Good luck...and hugs!

Sending good thoughts for Remy and his family.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Poor Remy! My sympathies to you both!

With a heart dog it always seems more difficult, but I've found that if it is a heart dog involved then you get the power to do what's right for the dog precisely when it's right. So investigate palliative care options if non-invasive treatments show no likelihood of working out. Once you and your vet know you won't miss the signs when enough is truly enough you can take things a week at a time and enjoy the time that remains... it might be quite a while. I got18 months post dx with renal failure with my last dog and perhaps only the last few days were not enjoyable for her.

It's so hard but you WILL be able to cope with it.

Claudia, I am truly very sorry. I was actually admiring Remy in your signature in another thread only early today. The diagnosis of Osteo is brutal as one has to make decisions they would rather not. Going the amputation route does take a pup who can handle being on three legs which most can but some just are not candidates and I think you are thinking this through correctly, is Remy even a candidate? From your description, I have my doubts but don't allow that sway you as it's your decision what you do. There are other options that can give you some time and it depends on a lot of factors that I don't believe anyone knows exactly what those factors are. If you pursue some of the more aggressive treatments (non-amp), you can get 6mths or you can be lucky and get 12+ mths but that is rare I believe. FedX is one of the few that I believed lived another 16mths post diagnosis and his mum pursued several different treatments but did not amputate. If you go with only pain meds, then likely it's weeks unfortunately.

I know you don't want to read the Osteo thread but there is great information there and we are there to help you, support you and cry along with you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry you and Remy have gotten this devastating diagnosis. So many of us understand how you are feeling now---I think it's the hardest time. You are constantly agonizing over the alternatives, and it really does consume your mind pretty much all the time. Please know that there is a lot of support here. And a lot of good info. I think in your heart you feel that he is not a good amp candidate, and you know him better than anyone. You can only do what you think is best for him.

Neyla's Mom would be able to give you lots of valuable knowledge about what to consider if you don't go the amp route. And the osteo thread is not only informative, it can really help to know that you are not alone.

Hugs to you and Remy. He has the dearest, sweetest face---easy to see why you love him so much.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

:grouphug Charlies_Dad has sage advice. I have none, only hugs and prayers for you and your sweet boy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry.....I can feel/hear the pain & anguish in your post.

My only advice is to take a deep breath, consult with an oncologist for options,

and then make the decision that you will know in your heart is best for your handsome man.

Many prayers for Remy, and for strength for you to deal with this miserable overwhelming situation.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

My grey had it in his shoulder. The cancer doctor said it had not invaded his organs so she gave him 3 months with palliative care and 12 months if I chose amputation. He had been limping and crying for a week (had taken him to my regular vet) and we never could get him on the right medicines to control his pain. So, I made the decision to have the vet come to my house. Could he have had more time? Probably, if we could have found the right pain meds, but in the mean time he would have been having horrible bone pain. I am sorry you and he are going through this.

sending you many, many prayers :hope :hope we did chemo, radiation and pallative with Nube (10.5 yo) and only got 2 months more. I don't know that I would put another through the chemo and radiation (had to be put under for rad) since his sister went as long on just pain meds. :(

this is SO tough because there's just no "right" answer. You just have to do what you can. And I hope this doesn't sound bad, but better to let them go a day too early than a day too late. :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway