Remy Has Joined The Osteo Club :o(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your support. We have our first oncologist appt tomorrow, to go over our options and decide how to proceed.

In the meantime, Remy is thoroughly enjoying being SPOILED like he never has. He got his first McDonald's brgers and fries. He LOVED them. He's getting grilled chicken, pizza bones, whipped cream, peanut butter yogurt icies, and anything else his heart desires. He's on Tramadol (75mg every 8 hrs), Gabapentin (600mg every 12 hrs), and Rimadyl (one chewable tablet every 12 hrs). Moving furniture out of the dog bedroom and leaving dog beds and queen mattress on the floor, so we can sleep together without jumping on/off couches. Access to upstairs blocked off. Doggydoor access already has a ramp since Nov when he had Achilles tendon repair surgery. The dog run has been shortened with the orange plastic construction fencing, so he can't run after squirrels and birds.

Just waiting to hear back from some of you that I've PM'd, and from oncologist about pain/stress of Chemo and radiation. He had a terrible reaction Tuesday when he was put under for x-rays and bone biopsy. He couldn't stop panting and pacing. I didn't know if he was in pain from bone biopsy, suffering some after effect of anesthesia, or anxious. Vets thought he was anxious and Tramadol would calm him down, but the 75mg they said would take an hour to kick in, did nothing. He went on panting, pacing, unable to lie down and relax for 4 hrs. It was horrible and I don't want to put him thru that again, if chemo/radiation aren't going to help much anyway. I really need to hear that it's going to give him some chance at quality of life an treatment won't make him miserable.

I'll update when I know more. Thank you all for the virtual hugs. They warm my heart and help me to keep positive.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

I'm so sorry. :( I'm right here with you. Buddy was diagnosed two weeks ago. We don't feel that he is a good canidate for amputation, so we are going the pallitive radiation route. He's only had one dose so far, so I can't tell you what the results will be. We have him on meloxican (you can get a prescription for the human tablets- much cheaper!), tramadol and gabapentin. He limps, but otherwise seems as comfortable as we can expect with just the medications. He even forgets sometimes and tries to chase a squirrel, yikes! Each dog is different, but the oncologist says that 80% get pain relief from the radiation that can last up to 3 months, and it can be repeated if needed. I think your best bet is to schedule an appointment with an oncologist, they can review his case and go over all options with you. My heart is breaking too, so I know where you are. We are just treating each day as a gift and enjoying each moment we can.

I'm intersted in your experience with radiation. Did Buddy have to be anesthesized for it? How long did it last? How did he react after the treatment? Was he stressed/anxious or in pain afterward? How often do you repeat the treatment? Are you doing chemo as well?

I read you went thru with amputation before and had a horrible experience with it. What happened, if you don't mind me asking? Oncologist will see Remy tomorrow, but knowing my dog the best, I don't think he's a good candidate for amputation.

Thank you for your post and I hope you have nothing but good times for your remaining time with Buddy.

Edited by claudiav

Claudia -

That reaction to sedation is fairly normal -- I think they're just foggy and confused, not in pain. Rocko had to get a few stitches in his paw last summer. They put him under for a few minutes with an injected sedative, and he was OUT of it for many hours afterwards (pooped in the 5-minute car ride home, pacing, panting, whining, etc.) It's not pretty to look at or wait through, but I don't think it's too much to worry about. I wouldn't want to be doing it frequently, though, just because I feel like it might get to be too difficult, psychologically, for dogs to go through all the time.

Claudia,

Make sure Remy's vets know what kind of reaction he had to the anesthesia or sedative they gave him for the x-rays and biopsy. If he has to be put under again for any reason, his vets might be able to try a different protocol.

Pretty much, avoid opioids when possible. Greyhounds seem to have more lingering aftereffects from opioids than from other meds.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

First, I am so sorry you and Remy are going through this. Osteo is such a frightening word to hear.

Remy's reaction on Tues. definitely could have been the after-effects from anesthesia (I have seen the same kind of reaction more than once). Tramadol also can cause agitation (although I haven't seen this personally).

It sounds like he has a sufficient dosage of gabapentin, but it is said to have a short half-life, so if you can switch the same dosage to 3x/day, that will probably give better over-all pain coverage.

I haven't gone the palliative care route, but there are effective ways to manage pain. It is a matter of finding the right combo for your situation.

Wishing you much happy time together with Remy.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest yat420

I'm intersted in your experience with radiation. Did Buddy have to be anesthesized for it? How long did it last? How did he react after the treatment? Was he stressed/anxious or in pain afterward? How often do you repeat the treatment? Are you doing chemo as well?

I read you went thru with amputation before and had a horrible experience with it. What happened, if you don't mind me asking? Oncologist will see Remy tomorrow, but knowing my dog the best, I don't think he's a good candidate for amputation.

Thank you for your post and I hope you have nothing but good times for your remaining time with Buddy.

He has only had one radiation treatment so far, he has his next scheduled for Friday. He does have to go under anesthesia for it, but they just use propofol and gas, and it only lasts for about 10 min. He is up and normal about 20 min later, then gets to play in the doggie daycare room that they have for all of the radiation treatment patients. He doesn't seem to mind at all. :) It may be wishful hoping, but I do think that Buddy has been limping slightly less for the past two days. I know that he has been more active and eating better. Hopefully, it will really make a difference for his pain control. I'll keep you updated.

Remy may have reacted to whatever anesthesia that they used, or he may not tolerate the tramadol. I have another greyhound that can't take tramadol, it makes him crazy (panting, pacing, anxious). I will keep you and Remy in my prayers!

Forgot to add: we are not doing the chemotherapy. The oncologist said that there just isn't any evidence that adding it to just the pallative radiation has any benefit. If we had gone the amputation route, then there would have been some benefit.

Edited by yat420

Guest yat420

We chose amputation for our Benny because he was just 6 years old when he was diagnosed. He woke up badly after the surgery, screaming and flailing, then went into cardaic arrest and died in the recovery room. We were there for it all, in shock, and have never gotten over the fact that his last few minutes were so awful. It was just one of those weird, crazy, unfortuate, rare things that happen, but we just cannot even risk going through it again.

As an update, Buddy is doing GREAT with his radiation. He had his second on Friday and today he is barely limping at all!! It is really making a big difference. He had got to the point where he almost wasn't using his leg at all before the treatment. We did also do the Pamidronic acid this time, which may have helped also. Whatever it is, it is great! I highly recommend this if you decide not to go the amputation route. I don't know how long it will last, but his quality of life is much better. :)

I am so so sorry about what happened with Benny!!! My heart breaks too, knowing he was in shock those last few minutes..... poor poor boy. :weep:weep

My vet agreed Remy is not an amputation candidate. He is an old 10 yrs , and has 4 bum legs... doesn't need one taken away, that's for sure...

I have an appt with an oncologist Wednesday who does the new CyberKnife Robotic Radiosurgery I don't know that he'd even qualify for it, though.... I was thinking of starting a new thread asking if anne had any experience with it....

Dear Claudia - I am so very sorry for you and Remy. :weep

I have had to say goodbye to four hounds within the past few years (nasal cancer, protein losing nephropathy (kidney), back issues, and cognitive decline - but no osteo.).

I can only imagine how sad you are and want to say how much I feel for you. It totally stinks. It's not fair. But we all must do the best we can, accept, mourn, and let love shine.

I am hopeful that you and your beloved Remy still have many happy days to share. Thinking of you. Hugs to you and sweet Remy. :brokenheart

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest yat420

I am so so sorry about what happened with Benny!!! My heart breaks too, knowing he was in shock those last few minutes..... poor poor boy. :weep:weep

My vet agreed Remy is not an amputation candidate. He is an old 10 yrs , and has 4 bum legs... doesn't need one taken away, that's for sure...

I have an appt with an oncologist Wednesday who does the new CyberKnife Robotic Radiosurgery I don't know that he'd even qualify for it, though.... I was thinking of starting a new thread asking if anne had any experience with it....

I talked with my oncologist about it, because I've heard that there have been some good results with it, almost as good as amputation. Buddy has his osteosarcoma high in his humerus and they haven't had as good of results with that as they have lower on the leg, and have more complications when they try, due to having to use a higher radiation dose. I hope that Remy is a canidate for it though. It sounds really promising!