Dorie Greyhound Has Ple

greysmom

We're thinking of all of you, sending hugs and hope Dorie feels well enough to come home to her loving family very soon.

Nancy

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, I've been keeping Dorie and your whole family in my thoughts. I was so terribly sorry to read your latest post-endoscopy comments. :cry1

Sending you lots of strength and friendship and support. :grouphug ;grouphug :grouphug:candle:goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm really sorry to hear this. Hoping Dorie is feeling a bit better and home soon for as long as possible. They leave us too soon.

Linda

Spring-siggy-with-Hana.jpg
Angel Gary (Hallo Smoke'em 2000-2013), Angel Molly (Kiowa Mysticrule 1999-2011) Linda, Hana, Sultan

Just time for a quick update

Dorie Greyhound came home today! :yay:yay:yay

I think mostly because she was a little too stressed at the hospital, and her doctor thought she would do better at home. So far, she hasn't moved off her bed (sound asleep :blush ) since she came home. I'm hoping she'll wake up enough to eat a little dinner.

I'll be back lader to post more.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

YAY for being at home!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

So glad Dorie is home! :yay :yay :yay

I hope she feels like eating something soon :goodluck

Sending lots of love! :beatheart

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Glad your girl is home!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OK. Further update now that I have a little more time.

We still have no definitive answer on what's wrong. Everything - diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, diet - hinges on the results of the biopsies that they did yesterday. She's a pretty sick girl and things could go downhill quickly any time. Dr Brown was very nice today and we had a long chat about "things." I got to see some pics from the endo - very interesting to see since I've had one too. It could still be lymphoma, but Dr Brown feels it's more a severe IBD issue.

Thanks to the person that posted the link to the IBD-L Board. I haven't had a chance to explore it fully, but it looks really great!

Dorie still has some significant swelling in her legs, but it seems to me that her belly is beginning to get smaller. She's slept almost the entire time she's been home, though I have had her out a couple times. She also still has significant diarrhea, which of course, will be the last thing to resolve - 36-48 hours - atfer the meds begin to work effectively. She wasn't interested in pasta and cottage cheese, and I'm sure she's holding out for something meat-y. I'll be making some ground turkey and chicken, and probably some meatballs for pills, so I hope that sparks her appetite later.

She's on prednisone - a high loading dose right now; vitamin K; vitamin B-12 (SHOTS! That I have to give! :eek ); sucralfate; omeprazole; and a OTC herbal medicine called Rutin (which has been shown to help the lymphatic system in women who have undergone lymphectomy as part of a mastectomy).

>>>NOTE<<< Dr Brown told me today - and this was news to me, though probably not to others - that the only acid reducer that works in dogs is omeprazole. The other drugs - famotidine and ranitidine - don't do anything at all for them. She said most vets don't know this either since it's based on new research just from the last year or so.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Nothing is better than Mom's loving and healing hand!

soo glad that Dorie is home~

Let the healing begin!

:bighug

one last word of advise,, get sleep while you can, stay strong for your girl, take YOUR vitamins and treat your self every day

let your other hounds give you strength to keep Dorie on the healing track.

sorry, that was more than "one" last word..

:bighug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Good news Dorie is home.

I am not at all surprised at your comment on Omeprazole.

I have a horse with gastric ulcers and the ONLY thing that helps is Omeprazole.

All my Equine vets know this fact and it is the only thing they prescribe. In very large doses!

Hope Dorie has a good day...

Nancy

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

What great news the Dorie is home! I hope the results of the biopsy/scoping will be back soon with some answers.

:grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

A little bit more positive for our girl this morning.

She slept a lot all day yesterday after coming home and all night last night. She did go out several times - yucky diarrhea - but this morning she had a better poop!! Yes, I am happy about POOP! And she ate a little pasta and ground turkey!!!!!! Pills in turkey meatballs were eaten right down! Dorie is still pretty swollen with exess fluid, though I *think* it's beginning to reabsorb. She's brighter today, and seems more aware.

I really hope this trend continues!