Dorie Greyhound Has Ple

greysmom

August 22 Dorie woke me in the middle of the night with horrible diarrhea. Since then we've tried a bland diet (home cooked and I/D), had a negative fecal float for parasites, a round of Panacur, and an extended course of metronidazole with and without antibiotics. Up until this week, I and the vet were just assuming ( :o ) that she had a sensitive stomach and something was bothering her. She ended up losing nearly 10 lbs, but still continued to have diarrhea on and off (mostly on). She would get better and betterand I would think she was on the mend, and then - more diarrhea.

Last Wednesday I noticed her abdomen was filling out. I thought she was beginning to put back on some of the weight she'd lost. Then, Saturday, her belly became really distended and I was beginning to get worried. Sunday night her back leg began to swell, and this morning the other leg and the lymph nodes under her jaws were swollen. Off to the e-vet this afternoon.

I feel really horrible, since if I had gone ahead and taken her in to our regular vet three weeks ago, she might not have gotten so bad. But I didn't. Because they don't take appointments, just walk ins, and you might have to wait forever. And you don't know what vet you're going to pull in the rotation. And they would have had to refer me to the hospital/specialty clinic where she ended up for diagnosis and treatment anyway because they don't have the facilities to handle specialized tests. Rant rant rant. I should have taken her in.

I just posted this in elsewhere:

Dorie doesn't (probably) have cancer. She most likely has PLE (Protein Losing Enteropathy), which is a form of IBD (Intestinal Bowel Disease). Basically, she is unable to retain the long-chain proteins in her cells, making the cell walls permeable and the excess fluids are getting dumped into her abdomen and lymphatic system, which quickly becomes overloaded and unable to remove the excess fluid. Her intestinal track cannot absorb nutrients properly and she loses weight and has diarrhea. The e-vet said all her labs were extremely low so they are keeping her overnight to begin therapy. They will perform an endoscopic biopsy of her intestines and bowels to definitively diagnose what's going on and rule out any form of cancer (which is still technically on the table, but the vet didn't think so).

Therapy includes a special high protein, low fat diet, imunosuppressve drugs, and/or prednisone, and/or cyclosporin, plus B-12 shots, and some other things I didn't retain. Her case is pretty advanced, and the e-vet was not overly optimistic about her prognosis.

I'll search for the other threads here in H&M about PLE, but wanted to update her status and see if people have any futher help/comments/experience. I haven't seen the actual lab test results, the vet only told me over the phone that they were pretty bad.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear! I don't have any experience but I'm sure others do. I'm glad you have a diagnosis and can begin moving forward with treatment. Sending gentle hugs to Dorie.

(Boy, I sure hope there's a good point or two about your regular vet, because that is sure not an arrangement that would work for me!)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I've been worried about Dorie all evening, glad to read an update.... I'm sorry it's not very good news. :( Poor Dorie and poor you :grouphug

The endoscopy will give you some answers... All our fingers are crossed.

You're in my thoughts, Chris.

(Boy, I sure hope there's a good point or two about your regular vet, because that is sure not an arrangement that would work for me!)

Same here.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am sorry I have no experience but wanted to let you know we are sending lots of good thoughts and prayers.... :hope :hope :grouphug Please keep us posted...

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Did they run a bile acids test to check liver function??? Also, many times they get asites due to the albumin being so low-- is she on an iv drip recieving hetastarch?

If it's reccomended that she starts a corticosteriod I would ask them about trying budesonide over pred.

It's usually suggested to start a novel protein diet--not a high protein diet--a novel protein, novel carb would be something like venison and sweet potato.

if I can help further please feel free to pm me- sorry Dorie is ill.

Did they run a bile acids test to check liver function??? Also, many times they get asites due to the albumin being so low-- is she on an iv drip recieving hetastarch?

If it's reccomended that she starts a corticosteriod I would ask them about trying budesonide over pred.

It's usually suggested to start a novel protein diet--not a high protein diet--a novel protein, novel carb would be something like venison and sweet potato.

What she said. And hugs from here.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Good thoughts for you and your girl, Dorie. I am sorry that she is not feeling well.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh, Chris, that sounds horrible. I wish I had some advice as well, but can only offer lots of good thoughts and white light for Dorie, and hugs for you both. Please keep us updated.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

What she said. And hugs from here.

This all sounds like what the e-vet said. I was kind of listening-but-not at the time. She is receiving some sort of IV tonight that will hopefully stabilize her enough for the anesthesia and endoscopy tomorrow morning. I will also be talking with her (new) internist before the procedure. E-vet said corticosteroid is usually at the discretion of the vet, but all the vets I've had contact with at thi clinic have had the most up to date info, and are quite willing to listen to my suggestions. I will definitely keep the budesonide in mind.

Yes - unusual proten and single carb diet. (Dude gets high protein and high fat). I already know rice is not good for Dorie - it just goes straight through without getting digested at all - so either potato, sweet potato or pasta will be on the menu for her.

Thanks everyone!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Chris, sorry to read about Dorie. I hope the endoscopy goes 'well' tomorrow.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thinking good thoughts for Dorie

:goodluck

And :bighug for Chris

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

You and Dorie are in our thoughts and prayers today! The hydration she was getting should make the anesthesia experience easier. Will be waiting for a greyt update! :)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

We are thinking of Dorie today.

Our osteo boy Jamey had PLE, diagnosed after his amputation. He was on Z/D Ultra and metronidazole daily until he passed away last week. He was also on blood pressure pills- lotensin(benazepril) for this. His poops were never great, but much better than the water that was coming out when he was diagnosed.

I'll be looking for hopefully positive updates on Dorie.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

My Topaz had PLE caused by liver disease, not intestinal disease. Her liver was pretty much non-functioning.

I'm sorry to hear about Dorie. It's not a good diagnosis.

I remember celebrating that Topaz didn't have cancer. But, turned out just as bad. I lost her 4 weeks after diagnosis. She was only 5.

Edited by MP_the4pack

Oh Chris, this diagnosis sounds frightening and I am sending warm healing thoughts to you and Dorie. I hope the vets will be able to get her stabilized. :grouphug Having a diagnosis after a long spell of mystery can be such good news but this PLE sounds quite serious.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Spoke with Dorie's Internist this morning. Dorie spent a comfortable night on IV fluids (with hestastarch added) and some pain meds. Her legs and belly are still pretty swollen, but fluids are still being dumped there. Dr Brown said all her other vitals looked good. So they're going to do a chest xray this morning to rule out cancer and any metastisization (sp?), and then do the endoscopic exam and biopsy this afternoon.

Some form of cancer could still be the cause of her problems, and also a disease where the vessels in the intestines just stop working. But Dr Brown *expects* to find some level of IBD/IBS on visual exam, and will start her on pred and some other drugs. If she can find the source of the disease, the fluids should stop dumping and be reabsorbed. She'll be in the hospital another night at least.

The prognosis, even with the most positive outcome, is not great. Dorie will still be on borrowed time of only months, but she should be more comfortable and able to spend that time happy and here at home.

Just got the call from Dr Brown. Dorie is resting comfortably and charming the staff!

Chest xrays are unremarkable except for a small bit of pleural effusion around her lungs. There's not enough to impact the anesthesia, and they can't do anything about it anyway until they figure out what the problem actually is by doing the endoscopy. So she's going ahead with the procedure, which should start within the hour. Dr Brown will call us with the visual results when it's over. Actual lab biopsy results will take a day or two.

I'm hoping to get in to see her later tonight. :hope:hope:hope