Dorie Greyhound Has Ple

greysmom

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that a acupuncture or massage on the right points will get the lymphatic system (I think) to activate and reabsorb the fluid.

you might check into that.

Glad she's home and on her way to solid POOP!!! :rolleyes:

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

:yay great update! so glad she is feeling a little better, I am sure being home has a lot to do with that! and :yay for better poop :lol

Can you use OTC Prilosec for the omeprazole? What would be the dose?

Yes, you can use one OTC Prilosec-- give one 20mg tablet once a day. Do not use with pepcid-- they will wash eachother out-- start the prilosec 3 days after finishing the pepcid. This really isn't a new finding--OSU has been using priolsec for sometime now.

I'm glad to hear a more positive update. We are all hoping that she continues to make progress and get better and better.

We're still "sooted" up for you, sweet girl!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Glad to hear the belly swelling is going down. I'm continuing to keep you and Dorie in my thoughts :goodluck

>>>NOTE<<< Dr Brown told me today - and this was news to me, though probably not to others - that the only acid reducer that works in dogs is omeprazole. The other drugs - famotidine and ranitidine - don't do anything at all for them. She said most vets don't know this either since it's based on new research just from the last year or so.

:ohno :ohno

Interesting. Merlin has been on 20mg Famotidine 1xday since the end of March. I am going to look online to see if I can find a copy of that study, so that I can bring this up with my vet next week when I take Merlin is for his annual exam and shots... I guess I will be keeping him on famotidine for the time being since I don't know if this research is the result of one or multiple studies, if it's conclusive, etc.

ETA - I think I may have found it. I'll start a different thread.

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

So glad to hear Dorie is home! Ducky was in and out of Tufts so much during his illness, but he always did much better at home, and rested so much more comfortably. The group I sent you a link to also has a Facebook page. They have members with all breeds who have PLE/IBD and are a greyt support. I have many meds left here if you need any, please PM me.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Not a great night. DH had to go to work, which meant I had to sleep downstairs with Dorie G. I don't really sleep well anyway, and definitely not when it's in a chair. And poor Dorie G kept having poop accidents - diarrhea was just leaking out and she didn't even know. So not only did several beds get ruined, but she's covered in what came out since she kept laying in it. :( Bath time for her.

Dr Brown should have the biopsy results today. I really hope! Not having any info for three more days would really drive me nuts!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Long distance hugs to you and Dorie. I so hope that the test results will point the way to an effective treatment plan.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Not a great night. DH had to go to work, which meant I had to sleep downstairs with Dorie G. I don't really sleep well anyway, and definitely not when it's in a chair. And poor Dorie G kept having poop accidents - diarrhea was just leaking out and she didn't even know. So not only did several beds get ruined, but she's covered in what came out since she kept laying in it. :( Bath time for her.

Dr Brown should have the biopsy results today. I really hope! Not having any info for three more days would really drive me nuts!

Sorry you both had a bad night! FWIW, I gave our IBD dog omeprazole yesterday evening, and he has had diarrhea three times since 4 a.m. this morning. Don't know if there's a connection, but I'm going back to Zantac! (Meanwhile, I'm restarting the metronidazole and upping the frequency of budesonide. He had been getting soft-serve anyhow in recent days, and I've been concerned.)

I'll just mention that when they put Spencer on prednisone, he dropped 7 lbs in three days. Of course, he had a yet-undiagnosed SIBO infection, so pred was the wrong thing to do. But that's a not uncommon reaction to pred, and several of us with IBD GH's have done very well on budesonide instead. It's not cheap; but if you decide to go this route, Xan and I (and probably others) can give you tips on getting it cheaper perhaps. (We started with 3 mg., which is a standard pre-made dose. When we reduced the dose later, we started having it compounded, which is more expensive, but still worth it.) But your vet will probably want to continue with pred just because that's what most of them start with.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I've been following Dorie's thread, but haven't signed in to post until now...

I am so sorry to hear that she (and therefore, you also) has had a setback. Have the biopsy results come in? I hope so, it's awful waiting and not being to take action.

:grouphug

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Well, this was an entirely unhelpful day.

Apparently, though she didn't tell me, Dr Brown is out of the office until NEXT THURSDAY! :angry: And the other internist - Dr Mack - is reading the biopsy results. He called around mid-day today with absolutely no help except to say they were negative for cancer ( :yay ), and positive for IBD-PLE (which we already suspected). We're to continue doing what we're doing until Dr Brown comes back in - NEXT THURSDAY! - unless she takes a turn for the worse.

Aaarrrgghhhh! Very frustrating to not have any real direction for another week. On the other hand, Dorie is at least holding her own for now, so what else are we going to do? She's on Pred (yes, the vet wants to start here and then move the budesonide after things are under control), Vit K, vit B-12 (eek! shot next week), omeprazole, sucralfate, and a bland diet. Dorie hasn't been as hungry today and she's already bored with pasta and turkey, so I'll have to switch to potato tomorrow.

Her diarrhea keeps swinging from more solid/nearly "normal" to watery brown liquid and darker brown liquid. Dr Brown seemed to indicate she should be normalizing beginning now. I hope this starts soon for everyone's sake.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I didn't read all the replies, but I'm very sorry for what you are going through. When my sweet Soldi (passed away last year) was 2 years old she got intermittent bloody colitis every 15 days. I took her to different

vets, we did lots of analysis and she was on lots of meds...lots of money spent, just for nothing. Metronidazole and Panacur even made her bloody diarrhea worse. Finally the vets 'diagnosed' IBD and proposed to put her on

Prednisone for life. I took her off ALL meds and waited the hound to get hungry. Then I started to give her a home cooked diet and some kibble at times and I even didn't vaccinate her anymore.

You won't believe but her bloody colitis problem resolved on its own...no more problems.Many Greyhunds have an extremely sensitive digestive system and filling them up with meds even make things worse, kind of a vicious circle.

So I always recommend, let nature do its help, each organism tends to heal by itself but if lots of chemicals interfere, all the healing process gets slowed down. I hope that your Dorie gets well soon,

mybest wishes for you both,

Marion

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

So sorry Dorie & you are going down this frustrating road. Poor girlie.

Hoping & praying for answers and for something to work for her to keep her around for as long as possible --- and comfortable & happy.

:kiss2 - for you, lovely Dorie.

:grouphug - for you, Chris.

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

I can only inagine how worrying this is Chris. i would also be frustrated with the just continue the sam efor another week especially if all isn't going well. Hopefully she will turn a corner very soon!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Feeling a little bit better today - I was just too tired yesterday to be positive!

The good news is that at least we *know* what we're dealing with now. It's scary but IBD-PLE can be managed. Shes holding her own, and maybe even getting a little better. Her poops are still mostly runny diarrhea, but they are poop colored and not scary dark, and occasionally they are firmer. She's eating and taking her meds. And her attitude is brighter and happier - which is actually the most important thing for me. We can deal with her accidents, and losing sleep, as long as she knows we love her!

Thanks everyone, for all your comments and good thoughts! GTers ROCK! ;)

I am glad she is a little better! Yes, those conditions can be managed, Fletcher has had IBD since he was 2 (at least), and he rarely even needs meds anymore, just his special diet and supplements. I hope Dorie gets to that point!