Dorie Greyhound Has Ple

greysmom

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bugeye that's not what i wanted to here!

come on Dorie!!!! :kiss2

lots of prayers and cyber hugs coming to you from the desert!

:hope:bighug:hope

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Come on Dorie...

Your family needs you to get well!!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So Dorie was doing much better on Sunday and Monday - her legs were back to normal, her belly wasn't so full of fluid, she was bright and alert and even trotted around the yard. I was so hopeful she had turned the corner and started down a good road. Things started going bad again Tues night/Weds morning, and by today her legs were swelling up again. She's lost more weight, and the pred is melting off her muscle mass. She's having trouble getting around due to being so weak.

We just got back from seeing Dr Brown. We decided on a fairly aggressive treatment - restarting the metronidizole and adding in cyclosporin, plus everything else she's already getting. I also have some WD food to supplement the homecooking.

She has this weekend and a day or so to begin responding, otherwise, her quality of life will become too compromised and we'll have to consider letting her go. I never thought we'd have to think about losing her before Dude, but she's just wasting away in front of our eyes.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Chris I know what's like to watch one waste away in front of your eyes and being helpless to stop it :( . I hope this more aggressive treatment will give her system what it needs to right itself. My thoughts and prayers continue with you and Dorie.

:candle:hope

Sending lots and lots of prayers. Hoping the urine was rechecked?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh no!

I hope the aggressive treatment does the trick.

C'mon Dorie!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I did remember to ask about this today. It was from the "dipstick" portion of the test and most dogs have a positive high value. Vet was not concerned about it. I did forget to ask her about the omeprazole vs famotidine issue. Hopfully I'll have an opportunity under better circumstances.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Chris I'll be thinking about and checking to see how Dorie is while I'm away. I hope and pray she stabilizes again. grouphug.gif to all of you.

Susan

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I did remember to ask about this today. It was from the "dipstick" portion of the test and most dogs have a positive high value. Vet was not concerned about it. I did forget to ask her about the omeprazole vs famotidine issue. Hopfully I'll have an opportunity under better circumstances.

I was thinking about the blood in the urine, unless I'm misremembering and she didn't have any. Most dogs would and should have 0 -- there's no normal condition where they'd have any.

Don't want to be a harpy, just concerned that a UTI could be contributing to her not feeling well. In her condition when you first took her in, there IS a reasonable other explanation for temporary blood in the urine, but I do think it would be worthwhile to verify that it's gone.

Hoping your sweetie has a good day today!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest patgam

Hugs for Dorie and all of you at this time. :grouphug

C'mon Dorie! We all love you and want you to get better.

:bighug

Bell Walker, Bugsy and mom

I was thinking about the blood in the urine, unless I'm misremembering and she didn't have any. Most dogs would and should have 0 -- there's no normal condition where they'd have any.

Don't want to be a harpy, just concerned that a UTI could be contributing to her not feeling well. In her condition when you first took her in, there IS a reasonable other explanation for temporary blood in the urine, but I do think it would be worthwhile to verify that it's gone.

Hoping your sweetie has a good day today!

Not a problem. They did do a needle draw of urine at the same time and it was neg for infection.

Just a quick update.

Dorie Greyhound isn't doing too well. We started her new med - cyclosporin - Friday afternoon. This is an immunouppressant to see if we can get her system to calm down. Dr brown had also added metronidazole back into the mix (500mg once a day), but every time I gave it to her, she barfed soon afterwards. So no more metro until I can talk to the doctor.

Her feet will swell and then go down, swell and then go down - I'm hoping this means her body is beginning to fight - but her belly is even fuller with fluids, and this hasn't gone down at all. She is alternately ravenous and nauseas. She is sometimes confused and wanders the yard, and then will be fine. She still has the spark in her eyes, though she's so thin you can see every bone in her skeleton.

Dr Brown said Monday or Tuesday before we might see any improvement, so, barring any dramatic downturn, we'll give her that time. I have to say that I'm very sad for our girl right now.

Chris, my heart is just beaking for you guys as you go through this. Many prayers that the meds kick in.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.