Dorie Greyhound Has Ple

greysmom

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, just a couple thoughts to share that may help. First, metro tastes vile, and that alone can produce nausea as well as lead to distaste for food for a while. We had to put Spencer's in gel caps (size 00), which we got at a health-food store. Nothing magic about the health food aspect, just that that's who had them. Now we just plant them in generously-formed meatballs made from canned food. Maybe you're already doing this, but I thought it was worth a mention.

Second, the low B-vitamins from the malabsorption lead to neuro symptoms, like the confused wandering in the yard (as well as lowered appetite and difficulty with coordination). Spencer did this too. So I'd step up the B-12 injections. (He got his every day or two at the beginning, and the vet was fine with that when I asked about it.)

Sorry that I don't know anything about using cyclosporin for this purpose, but I hope it does the trick. If Dorie gets through this, I hope your vet will reconsider budesonide. (My vet researched it and said, "Well, everybody ends up using it, so I think we should start there.") I've no doubt that we would have lost Spencer without it.

Btw, I got a lot of support and good advice from tbhounds two years ago when Spencer was really struggling and the vet wasn't quite on the ball yet. I know she wouldn't mind your PM-ing her.

Sending much love and prayers for strength,

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Keeping you and your girl in my thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Chris, I finally made myself read all of this. ( I tend to stay away from H & M while working on the auction because sometimes it makes it so hard to continue) All I can offer is cyber :bighug and prayers. Keeping you and Dorie close to my heart.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Chris, just a couple thoughts to share that may help. First, metro tastes vile, and that alone can produce nausea as well as lead to distaste for food for a while. We had to put Spencer's in gel caps (size 00), which we got at a health-food store. Nothing magic about the health food aspect, just that that's who had them. Now we just plant them in generously-formed meatballs made from canned food. Maybe you're already doing this, but I thought it was worth a mention.

Second, the low B-vitamins from the malabsorption lead to neuro symptoms, like the confused wandering in the yard (as well as lowered appetite and difficulty with coordination). Spencer did this too. So I'd step up the B-12 injections. (He got his every day or two at the beginning, and the vet was fine with that when I asked about it.)

Sorry that I don't know anything about using cyclosporin for this purpose, but I hope it does the trick. If Dorie gets through this, I hope your vet will reconsider budesonide. (My vet researched it and said, "Well, everybody ends up using it, so I think we should start there.") I've no doubt that we would have lost Spencer without it.

Btw, I got a lot of support and good advice from tbhounds two years ago when Spencer was really struggling and the vet wasn't quite on the ball yet. I know she wouldn't mind your PM-ing her.

Sending much love and prayers for strength,

Mary

Thanks Mary. The vomiting didn't occur until 30 or 45 minutes after she got the metro, but as that was the only thing that was added to the routine, I have to think that it was that.

I will ask about giving her more B-12. She's only on once a week now but I know others have done it more often.

Vet wasn't opposed to using budesonide but said she wanted to start with pred as it was more effective in the beginning to get things under control. If we do manage to do that, I think that's what will happen.

I just can't believe this has all happened in two months. She hasn't even been with us a year yet. I'm just exhausted and so sad. I've said that before I guess.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Chris I'm keeping Dorie and you in my thoughts. Hoping hard for a positive turnaround very soon.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

We are still praying for Dorie and your entire family that she'll make a good turnaround.

Hugs to all.

:grouphug:hope

Pat G, Bell Walker & Bugsy

We are thinking about you and Dorie this morning ~ sending tons of :bighug and :hope

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Dorie hasn't been able to keep any food down today. I think we're about at the end. :(

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:(

Sending prayers and gentle scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry Chris! :weep it is so hard to see them like this!

I pray that your remaining time together is filled with sweet gentle kisses and hugs and all the loving she can soak up.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14