Fence options for the campers

I am looking ahead to fencing options for CG II. We've always had wooden three split rail lined with a vinyl coated chain link and it's been great but I want to explore other options. The only thing I know that I don't want is full-panel vinyl. Tell (show!) me what you've used and what you like and/or don't like about it. Annie, Punkin and I are anxious to get plans going! Thanks!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Do you want privacy or a view? Most houses out here have 6’ block wall or 6’ solid wood (cedar) fences, good for privacy and keeping dogs in, but blocks any view. Some people have 4’ or 6’ chain link, sometimes with that vinyl stuff which doesn’t hold up well in our heat.

Have a dog run/turn out pen attached to deck with a gate on the deck (6 foot chain link). The yard has 6 foot wooden privacy fence.  This way the yard can be mowed by others and no worries the hounds can get out.  This works for us still get a view when on the deck too.

Depends on location.  
Out here in the boonies with no foot traffic or need for privacy, we have chain link and no-climb.  
If you’re going to live in suburbia then you might not want that.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

4 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

I don’t know what the “norm” is for Maine. In some parts of the country back yard fences seem to be very rare, other places, like around here, it seems like everyone has something. I guess that might be a factor.

It seems that keeping the family dog/s in an enclosed area is not the norm here. We are now carrying a horse whip from the local feed store. Sigh. 

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep ‘em coming! 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

8 hours ago, Beachbum1 said:

6' wood privacy fence, which can be decorated/painted on the inside/hidden with growing bushes, and padlocked gate.

+1

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'm glad you don't want the full-panel vinyl fencing. Those are popular around here, but they get mildew stains and get blown to smithereens in winds over 70pmh.

https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/yard-patio/creative-fence-ideas/

"Hog wire" is the style in #7.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

call me simple or old fashioned, i like turkey wire- 5 or 6 ft with shrubbery planted either inside or outside the fencing. privacy, security, and great ventilation. I never like the way large wood fences stop the breeze. Use the best fence posts possible and heavy galvanized turkey wire and plant!

just ran across this on facebook- i did see a fence like this up in nova scotia- food for thought-https://www.facebook.com/WaddellWoodworking/photos/a.332525586805873/5084550081603376

Edited by cleptogrey

5' chain length, coated with black vinyl, around the back yard of my 1-story brick house so the style kind of fits.  The black makes the fence almost disappear.  Multiple people have told me this is the only kind of chain length they've liked the looks of.  

Like:  No maintenance.  Ever.  Possible crime deterrence -- house is on a corner and people passing by might keep someone from breaking into the house unobserved.  Dogs like it because they can see out.  Good as support for vines and roses.  5' height keeps greyhounds secure without making it look like a prison.  

Don't like:   Cost 20% more than uncoated chain length.  Pain to keep the grass trimmed around it -- chain length not good for weedwhacker string.  I didn't put in enough gates.  And the 5' height keeps me from getting a galgo or other high-jumper.  Although that might be a good thing.  :)  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

5 hours ago, macoduck said:

I'm glad you don't want the full-panel vinyl fencing. Those are popular around here, but they get mildew stains and get blown to smithereens in winds over 70pmh.

I like the look of those fences, although obviously some would not work to keep your dogs safe. A few people in my neighborhood have fences like #6, it looks quite nice. I have to admit my introverted, antisocial self likes the 6ft block wall :lol

Is this for permanent installation or for your temporary camp??  Are you installing or done by a professional?  What's the style of the house?  Are there any HOA rules??

Chain link is probably the most cost effective and the longest lasting.  You'll only get about 10-12 years from any kind of wooden fence, depending on the weather it has to withstand.  

5 hours ago, macoduck said:

#7 and #10 are my favs above - sturdy but functional.  Though I would make any fence at least 5 feet, and 6 feet is better.  4 feet, or even 3 feet might be fine for Punkin and Annie, but there may come a time where you wish you had a taller one.  There's a house I drive past a lot and it's similar to 7/10 but the posts and the top bar are round wooden posts and the wire portion is cattle panels.  Like this but with an additional wooden round pole across the top:

cattle panel fence

It seems very sturdy, but it is a more rustic look than chain link or privacy fence.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I’ve got a mishmash because they are all technically the neighbors’ fences.  The back is cheap plain chain link, it’s the worst but it’s been there  30+ years and is still standing sturdy. The guy who lived there before the current folks cut off the metal bits that hold the chain link to the top bar for some unknown reason so it’s all loose. I keep meaning to fix it up with zip ties under the cover of darkness so the current owners won’t see me. One side is green vinyl coated heavy chain link, it’s the best. Been there 40+ years and looks like new. Other side is homemade wood. It’s been there over 30 years and is pretty weathered but stands up to our winds and snow and the neighbor kids climbing on it. My contribution is the 5’ wooden gates, all the rest is 4’. They’ve been up almost 12 years and are just fine. Unexpectedly very important to me is some kind of gaps that the rabbits can get out through so I don’t have to clean up crime scenes.  

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

We have what they call a 3 rail livestock fence for the dogs.  It is similar to split rail, but the posts are 4x4s with deer wire stretched on the outside and then 15s are nailed to the posts, locking the wire in, if that makes sense.  Ours is 5 feet high.  We wanted to be able to see beyond the fence as the dog yard is only part of our property and doesn't follow property lines.  We are lucky that no one is a jumper and they do not go completely nuts went deer are wandering by.  Home lots here are at least 4 acres so limiting contact with a neighbor isn't an issue.   

My last house had a 6 foot privacy fence, but it followed the property line and gave me space from the neighbors.  

May be an image of nature, tree and snow

May be an image of tree and grass

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I like this if we are too close to neighbors. :lol

Flexzone_on_razor_wire-950x534.jpg

We had the white PVC privacy panels on the turnout area in Illinois.  We lucked out that the house blocked most of the wind, but neighbors who had the same panels often had them blow down or break off in high winds/storms. Snow piling up against them is another problem that will also break them. 

If Ihadto choose a fence for a new property, I would probably go with a similar rail and wire combo like you had previously to keep dogs in and more importantly, other critters out. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Four foot double picket fence.  The staggered pickets block the view but not the air.  Bonus: It's "good" on both sides.  You can see it behind Myun...

No photo description available.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

We have 4' black vinyl covered chain link fencing.  I have a  spray can of coating for any spots I might weed whip off so it should last a very long time.  Not as expensive as privacy fencing.  Have always had chain link fencing because it lasts a long time.  Because we live on a corner I could not fence more of the lot and I couldn't put up a 6' fence on certain sides. The black vinyl covering does make it kind of disappear and we had lots of compliments from the neighbors when we put it up.  I have 2 gates.  

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

40 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

I like this if we are too close to neighbors. :lol

Flexzone_on_razor_wire-950x534.jpg

We had the white PVC privacy panels on the turnout area in Illinois.  We lucked out that the house blocked most of the wind, but neighbors who had the same panels often had them blow down or break off in high winds/storms. Snow piling up against them is another problem that will also break them. 

If Ihadto choose a fence for a new property, I would probably go with a similar rail and wire combo like you had previously to keep dogs in and more importantly, other critters out. 

Must.....be......electrified.

I inherited a 3'-4' chain link on the sides and front. It's been fine for the 40 +/- years it's been up. (I've been here 23 1/2.) The back is the schoolyard's 6' chain link, which is closer to 5' on my side. I'd prefer black, which is less visible, but I like the air flow and being able to see.

The privacy fences in this neighbourhood don't seem to last long--the poles rot, the wind blows them down, and so on. The snow gets trapped in weird ways and takes forever to melt on the shady side.

If I lived in the country, I might opt for what dante2zoe has, but in the city, I'd go with black chain link. ETA: If I could, I'd go with painted/powder-coated rather than vinyl-coated, since I expect it would hold up better here.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

For those looking at privacy fences, this is a video I came across a couple of months ago showing a new metal post system that requires no digging, but rather uses a special portable post driving machine.  Much faster installation, no wood posts to rot, and no concrete needed.  Probably more expensive up front, but your only maintenance will be keeping up with staining or paint of the actual fence planks. I thought this was pretty cool. 

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

You all are great, thank you for the suggestions and pics. I have a better idea now of what I thought I wanted and how to get it done.

The no dig privacy fence might be an option if I could get Trudy and Jeff to install it for us so I'd know it was done rite! :thumbs-up :lol