Renaming Your Grey?

DaveS

How many folks gave their adopted dog a new, name, different from the one the dog had when you adopted it?  Did the dog adapt to it?

We got Hailey (2 YO female) a bit over two months ago and let her keep the name she came with.  The name fits in with the theme of our other dogs (Cockers and a Corgi) over the years by having two syllables ending with ee.  I originally wanted to rename her Obie, which is an extension of ob (representing her overbite).  My wife would have none of that so Hailey is still her name.

I did have my way with our Corgi who is named Phoebe.  An extension of fb, which stands for fat butt.  So I can't complain.:D

It is not a big deal.  We have changed many names over they years with no problems.  I am paying the bills, I will name my dog.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Somebody explained it as dogs not comprehending names as their "identity" but as what you say when you want them to pay attention to you, come to you, etc.  

Another alternative for "fat butt" could be Wylie, for "wl", or "wide load"  :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

No problem with changing Grace's name either.

I'm not sure if they use their names when they're in the racing kennels the same as we do as our pets. They probably just name them to help identification when they are racing not to "control" them. 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

With Wendy, I kept part of her kennel nickname, Crazy Wendy. it seemed to fit - the Wendy part, not so much the Crazy part!  ;)  Lola was called Frozen at the kennel. They both learned their names very quickly with the help of treats.  Say the name - treat when they look at you - repeat, repeat......

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

We kept Buddy’s name (racing name: Buddy Molly) but he was nearly 8 when we adopted him and we have a three year gap in his history after he retired. We assume he’d been in a home and got used to his name but we don’t really know. He’s a bit of a clingy, nervous boy and felt that he’d probably already had enough changes, and Buddy’s a good dog’s name anyway.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Somewhat along this topic, so I'll add this.  My wife (Hailey's REAL owner) somehow tracked down and contacted the trainer of our dog via Facebook.  He remembered her and remarked how sweet she was.  He also asked about how her foot was healing.  Hailey had broken a couple of toes on a rear foot and one had been amputated.  I was surprised that the trainer would remember her and the injured foot.  There must have been a fairly close relationship between the dog and the trainer.  So I have to believe that she was called Hailey all her life.

It's a myth that these dogs are abused and treated badly all their lives.  Everyone I've ever met and/or communicated with regarding my dogs' previous lives has been so glad to hear about them and how they are doing, and were (for the most part) quite willing to talk about them and pass on any information they had.  

Regarding names, many of those professionals are attached to the names of their dogs, and believe they should be kept into adoption.  We always check to see if the dog *knows* the name first off.  If they do, we usually keep it, as it's the one familiar thing they bring with them into adoption.  If they don't I have no qualms about changing it - though we do try and find an acceptable name that sort of sounds like their kennel name.

It's pretty easy to get them used to their new name - say the name, give a good treat when they look at you.  Takes about five minutes of repetitions and they've got it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am not very good at coming up with names, so I usually keep whatever they came with unless I really don't like it. Then I give them a new name that sounds close to the old one (Canner became Conner, Carla became Charley) Some seem to know their name, some don't. All answer to treats :lol

The dogs are given their kennel names at a very young age.  Some use a theme.  I had one dog whose kennel name was Foreman and the farmer used boxers for the males.  Some of the other kennel names were Ali, Frazier and I think Norton.  The dogs all know their names, whether they respond to it in a new setting with new people is another story.

For the past few years I've put the dogs kennel name on his/her G-D page.

I never knew the kennel name of my first hound.  I named her Honey and she learned it very quickly.  My others were returns that I fostered (and failed :D ).  I only changed the name of one, but that was technically a nickname.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Never knew Sweep's kennel name for sure, but she seemed to know "Sweep" so I assume that was it. Though we didn't change her official name, we call her "Peanut" and various other nicknames half the time and she responds just as readily to those.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I kept the name Chancey because it was a bit different and easy to say.

Nutmeg is a lurcher found wandering loose and had been named Meg at the rescue kennels. I don’t like human names for my dogs but didn’t want to confuse her with another new name so added to it and she became Nutmeg. As a dark brindle it seems to suit her.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I completed renamed my first 2 greyhounds. This was before I was aware they actually knew their names. My 3rd dog I had planned to rename as the adoption kennel had her name down as "risk" and that wasn't happening, lol.  But when I got her paperwork, hand written on the top was "Corinna".  She definitely responded to it and it was clear that is the name she was being called. I liked it and kept it. 

My 4th greyhound Honey, knew her name very well. I wouldn't personally name a dog Honey but it does suit her  perfectly so I didn't really consider changing it. 

My 5th was called Colt and knew it. I just changed it ever so slightly to Cole. I just think it has a nicer sound to it and he didn't seem to  notice the change. 

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Summit was completely renamed. We have no idea what he was called at the kennel, but he was in a home for several years before having to be rehomed due to owner illness. His original owners called him Dexter and he knew the name, but I don't do common names for my pets so it had to go. He lived to almost 14 and he was never bothered by the name change. It's like if someone suddenly started calling you Mary when your name is Christine. You'd figure it out pretty quick. Difference between humans and dogs is we tie our identity to our names, dogs don't.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I have no idea what Bella's name was - DH chose it and for years I teased him about being a closet "Twilight" fan.

Gracie we kept as it was not only her kennel name but what she was called in her first home. Never mind that she is the least graceful greyhound I've ever met and a next door neighbor's daughter is "Grace".....

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Some have names that are part of their racing name, others have no connection at all.  Depends if the owner sent a separate kennel name along with the official name.  First kennel I was in had very few dogs whose name were related to their kennel name.  We had two brothers, Homey and Step Off, call names were Honda and Honky.  Best one was one who came in with the call name Damn It. no relation to his racing name but oh so appropriate. He was a trip.  Some of the old trainers were adamant that no crate had a racing name on it, just kennel names.  Always fun to come into a new kennel and have to learn all their names and kennel names if those were different.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

The only dog I didn't rename had been in a "home" for 5 years post-adoption, that seemed too confusing on top of the horrible treatment he'd received by his adopters and then the change from living outside to foster home to us. Those just off the race-track I've renamed without any trouble. I never knew their kennel names anyway and it didn't seem to confuse them at all.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

We've had six greyhounds since 2004 and all got a new name upon adoption. Though, our 2nd greyhound was a bounce - his first family named him Cosmo (I think he was with them around 6 months) but we went back to his racing name which was "Keota Backdraft" and called him Keota. 

I have a girlfriend who has a slew of adopted dogs and she insists it's too confusing for them to change any of their names - subsequently, she doesn't like the names of most of her dogs (I think she has 8 dogs now). It makes me laugh - all I do is say the new name and when they look at me, they get a treat. Literally every greyhound in my home has learned his/her new name within a few days and they are happy to respond when called. None of them seem the least bit confused and we've loved all the names! :)

Other than Keota, we haven't liked any of the racing names at all.