Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Sundrop

  • Rank
    Jr Grey lover
  • Birthday April 20

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Charlotte, NC

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hi both - thanks for the replies! We haven't seen a specialist yet because Finn is SO scared of vets that we're trying to treat this to see if it gets better before moving to a more drastic setting. To my knowledge, the only tests performed were the physical exams (poking, pulling, etc.) and an x-ray (upon my insistence to check for cancer and breaks). The girl we lost to osteo 4 years ago went lame like this also and after numerous vet visits, x-rays, exams, medications, etc. - we were told she had a stroke and we should get her into rehab and a specialist immediately. We took her in, put her under for a full MRI and neuro consult, more drugs, more rehab, etc. - when she was still getting worse after all the torture we put her through, we had another x-ray done and they found the osteo. By then it was too late for amputation or any other options (we paid for a consult with Dr Cuoto at that point, as well) and we went into palliative care and lost her less than a month later. Honestly, I'm not as concerned about the money - I'm not Oprah or anything, but if we have to spend the money to get a diagnosis, treatment, etc., we'll do it. I'm more concerned with Finn about the exams, clinical settings, putting him under for an MRI, etc. When he reaches his breaking point, he lashes out and shuts down and every trip to the vet pushes him a little closer to the edge. On top of that, my husband tried to lift him yesterday to take him down the stairs because he was struggling to walk and he screamed and lashed out. Of course, my husband was intent on doing it so he tried again (even though I asked him not to) and Finn screamed again, growled and ran off to hide in the corner. It took 10 minutes of coaxing to just get him off the bed - so I can't imagine how we'd get him in and out of the truck (SUV) to go to/from the vet. We'd definitely muzzle him - but if he's in that much pain and this is a groin strain, the in & out + the car rides to and from + the exam and standing around at the vet would likely make it worse. I just don't want to put him through a lot of stuff he doesn't need.
  2. Our 8-year-old was diagnosed with an iliopsoas strain in April. He's very sensitive to meds, so we've had a tough time finding anything to give him any relief and his x-rays haven't shown anything abnormal - even though he "screamed bloody murder" during his last exam when the vet checked his right-side groin, he couldn't recreate the response - so I'm not 100% convinced it's an iliopsoas strain. I'm sure I'm overly sensitive since we lost our last greyhound to osteo and she also started limping, then not using her leg at all - much like what Finn is doing. Anywho, the vet suggested we "ice" the strain, but I'm a) not sure exactly where to ice and b) how we could possibly do this given he doesn't tolerate us much when he's not feeling well. I have loads of gel ice packs (and even a cold therapy machine, but we won't use that for him!) since I've had so many knee surgeries - but he gave us no instructions on where/how to do it. I assume it needs to be on the inside part of his upper thigh/groin area - but doing this while he's lying down is going to be impossible once he realizes what we are trying to do and I assume since he can't stand comfortably it would be silly to try and stand there and do it. I have some nice towels I use on my knee so he won't feel extreme cold at all, but if he allows us to even put an ice pack up there, how long should we try and do this? Any creative ideas on how to keep it in place since I'm sure he'll move? Perhaps wrap it up with an Ace bandage while he's standing and see if we can then get him to lie down? For what, maybe 15 minutes? His initial diagnosis was a month & a half ago and he's only getting worse. I'm doubling down on keeping him in solitary confinement and also wanted to try the icing. He hasn't tolerated any meds very well yet, so I contacted the vet again today to see if we had other options. Any other suggestions - I'll try anything, I just don't want him in pain anymore.
  3. Since I'm in data analytics, I ran the numbers a couple years back (after losing our 4th greyhound and racking up some huge medical bills) as to how much we'd pay out for insurance each month, what copays would be based on x-number of visits (I got this data looking at past info for all 4 previous dogs), max pay-backs, deductibles and how much the insurance would cover. I compared that to what we paid out for each dog, including huge medical bills for major surgeries, MRIs, broken bones, chronic medications for heart issues (and all the testing we had to have done for him), chemo treatments, rehab, etc. I literally plugged in all the costs for each dog and compared it to what insurance would've cost vs. what it would pay back. Turns out we came out ahead not using insurance in all 4 cases. After spending almost $10k in 2 months for our sweet girl who we were initially told had a stroke (so we had an MRI, neuro consults, rehab, etc.) but turned out to be osteo (more x-rays, drugs, testing, etc.) - who we ended up losing - I was convinced we should get insurance. But, even for the year that included that 2-month period for her, we came out ahead paying out of pocket because she had no other issues that year and insurance didn't cover wellness visits, heartworm, etc.(basically all the stuff we pay each year when they are healthy) and there was a deductible and max payout. I've been running the numbers for our current pups also and we're way ahead paying out of pocket. I know some people swear it's a good thing to have, but I'm 100% convinced that it's never worth it. I think the only benefit is that you pay out a little over time so they'll (hopefully) help when big bills hit - but I think it's probably better to start a new savings account that you put that monthly payment plus a little more in each month, get a little interest, and use that for medical expenses when they come up. FYI - I ran the numbers for multiple insurance policies, as my employer offers discounts on one of them and I thought it would be a good deal.
  4. Thanks, all! His x-rays showed nothing abnormal and the only response the vet got was the one time he screamed when he pushed on that right side of his groin. He couldn't re-create it and I asked that he not be too aggressive, as Finn is pretty sensitive. So, we are going with the initial diagnosis - if I don't see improvement in 4-6 weeks, I'll check about getting an MRI done. I hate even thinking about it, because Finn really doesn't do well in clinical environments - he gets so stressed out. Vet gave us 5 days worth of Galliprant (60mg) and Methocarbamol (500mg). The Galliprant is one every 24 hours - so I gave him a dose last night w/ dinner (as directed by the vet & the prescription bottle) - @tbhounds - you mentioned I should give him this on an empty stomach?? I haven't started him on the Methocarbamol because I'm concerned that if he has a reaction, I won't know which drug he's reacting to if I give him both at one time. He's driving me a bit mad because he's still running around like he's a puppy and walking him in the backyard on a leash so he won't run is making him not want to go! He's a booger!
  5. Congrats!! We lasted only about 2.5 months as a single greyhound family.
  6. Unfortunately, I can attest to this also. We've had some critter kills in our backyard and the dogs have almost always killed and brought them back to us. The only difference we see from EllenEveBaz is that our "presents" have sometimes been pretty bloody. I won't go into gory details, but the bigger prey (opossums, specifically) tend to be pretty bloody - but the smaller prey (chipmunks, squirrels, bunnies) seem to have broken necks/spines. I think they get more excited with the bigger prey and would try and tear it away from the other one. FYI - after the 3rd opossum kill, they had to wear muzzles for their bedtime outside visit. I just couldn't take it anymore!!
  7. Our almost-8-year-old boy, Finn, started limping 2.5 weeks ago. It was clearly his back right leg, but he was still eating, playing, happy and running around - also wasn't showing any crankiness when we poked & prodded. Also noticed the limp was more pronounced on hard surfaces and improved on carpet/grass. We took him to the vet when it didn't improve after a week - the vet couldn't find anything (though my husband didn't insist, as I requested, on x-rays). However, we were told to "rest" him and give him Rimadyl. He had 1 dose that Monday afternoon at the vet, then 2 doses on Tuesday and finally another 1 on Wednesday morning. Then the vomiting started. He threw up twice after breakfast (about 2.5-3 hours later) and again after his afternoon snacks. I refused to give him another dose of Rimadyl and made him chicken & rice for dinner. I gave him a small amount (maybe 1/3 cup), which he threw up. Knowing that he also has issues with vomiting when his stomach is empty and concerned about deydration, I made him some chicken broth and he threw that up. Then threw up again overnight and again the early next morning (around 4'ish). Finally was able to keep food down later that morning and had no more episodes; however, he will get no more Rimadyl. Just took him back in as his symptoms are not improving. I've checked for corns about 10x (including using the toothpaste method) and found nothing. He's still running around, despite our efforts to keep him calm and not going on walks (which is making him miserable). Insisted on x-rays since we lost a grey to osteo a few years back - but the vet just called that after more poking & prodding, Finn reacted and "screamed bloody murder" when he pushed on his right-side groin (no reaction on the left). He thinks it's an iliopsoas strain. He is still at the vet since they'll have to lightly sedate him for x-rays - but I'm sure if the groin strain diagnosis is consistent, he'll recommend anti-inflammatories. Since he clearly cannot have Rimadyl - are there others that anyone would suggest for sensitive greyhounds? He's not on any other medications (other than heartworm meds), still eating and acting normally and no more vomiting episodes since we ceased the Rimadyl.
  8. Hi all. We've had greyhounds since 2004 - always 2 at a time. We've had brief periods with just one, but pretty much always 2 and it works for us (2 of us, 2 of them - always seemed right!). But, knowing that it'll likely be more difficult to get a greyhound due to the track closings in Florida, we've been seriously considering a third greyhound. I'm a pretty analytical person, so I've gone back and forth 100x on whether we should or shouldn't and I'd love to hear from those of you who have adopted a 3rd. Practical questions like how is it walking 3 greyhounds (we walk our hounds twice per day)? How is feeding time with 3? Do they all get along? We have a male (age 7) and a female (age 6) - would you recommend a 2nd boy, or 2nd girl - or does it really matter at all? We'll definitely take the pups with us if we decide to adopt a third, but it's been my experience that the quick meet & greet isn't a good indicator of how they'll get along at home. The adoption group we love is 2 hours away, so not close enough for multiple visits. Did you have any regrets or frustrations with adopting a third? Was it easier than you imagined? Anything that surprised you or was it pretty status quo, just with another hound? We've both always wanted an Irish Wolfhound and/or a Scottish Deerhound (and I'm sure that will happen!) - but when I think of not having greyhounds anymore, it just doesn't feel right, ya know? I'd like to extend it a little longer since the future isn't so certain... (Please know that I'm not trying to trigger any political debates about the future of ex-racers. I sincerely only want advice from people who have 3+ greyhounds - thanks!)
  9. Thanks so much! I'm following wolfhoundgreyhound on IG - those photos are the best! Trigger the greyhound looks so tiny with those two IWs! And thanks for Kathy's name - I'm already in touch with the IW Association and they have been fantastic, but was having some trouble finding someone regionally who had Scottish Deerhounds. If we go that route, we definitely want to have some leads on reputable breeders that are within driving distance since we don't want to have a puppy shipped to us.
  10. Hoping to connect with greyhound parents who have also brought wolfhounds or deerhounds into the home with their greyhounds. We always wanted a giant dog and since we're not getting any younger (hah!) I think the time is nigh. Oh, and if anyone has photos of greyhounds with either breed, pleeeeeeease post!
  11. We've had six greyhounds since 2004 and all got a new name upon adoption. Though, our 2nd greyhound was a bounce - his first family named him Cosmo (I think he was with them around 6 months) but we went back to his racing name which was "Keota Backdraft" and called him Keota. I have a girlfriend who has a slew of adopted dogs and she insists it's too confusing for them to change any of their names - subsequently, she doesn't like the names of most of her dogs (I think she has 8 dogs now). It makes me laugh - all I do is say the new name and when they look at me, they get a treat. Literally every greyhound in my home has learned his/her new name within a few days and they are happy to respond when called. None of them seem the least bit confused and we've loved all the names! Other than Keota, we haven't liked any of the racing names at all.
  12. I can attest that my 6-year-old greyhound is reacting terribly to her Seresto collar. It started with constant head shaking and ear itching. We took her to the vet to have her ears checked and they were "perfect" - no mites, not dirty - but they looked mildly irritated. We took the collar off and it cleared right up. However, a week ago we found a flea on her - so the collar went back on. Within a day she had itchy ears and now I see little pink sores (one was bleeding slightly) in a ring around her neck under the collar. I just took it off again because it's pretty obvious this is a reaction to the collar. Our boy doesn't seem bothered, so his will stay on. Now I need to find another solution for her. I don't like topicals, either.
  13. Yep, snuggle while she's awake and get her off the couch and onto her own bed. I'd personally opt for snuggling on the floor and then leaving her there rather than allowing her on the couch at all. Our first boy was space aggressive - very different than sleep startling. He was pretty darn scary about his space when he was lying down, and though he got better over time, we always respected his space and never pushed it. Our 2nd and 3rd boys (3rd one is still alive) both would get startled at times when asleep. We snuggle on the floor and when we see him falling asleep, we get up so it's a good encounter for all. Our first boy taught us to respect sleeping dogs!
  14. Our sweet girl Tilly (we lost her in 2016) had vision issues also - as others have mentioned above, I'd highly highly recommend getting into a specialist right away. We were able to help our girl retain some of her vision through medication. We put down rubber-backed runners on our hardwood floors for her and added solar-powered motion lights outside so she could see the yard at night. We also put nightlights up in all hallways, by her water bowl and by the bed where she slept at night. We also got a gate to put at the top of the stairs to close off access at night when we knew it had gotten worse for her (she was also having seizures). Lots of other things you can do to make him more comfortable and confident - I'd recommend the book Living With Blind Dogs: A Resource Book and Training Guide for the Owners of Blind and Low-Vision Dogs - it helped us a lot.
  • Create New...