• 1 month later...

Please send us good vibes for Willa's chemo #3 tomorrow. She's been full of energy and happy happy, but I'm always nervous about x-rays. She has been lifting her back right leg (same side as the amp) a little when she picks up speed, which I suspect is partly her new gait and partly her old racing injury that's always made her stiff back there, but you know how easy it is to imagine the worst case. We're going to have that x-rayed too for safety's sake. 

I'll just be over here doing this until they call and let us know everything's fine. Because everything's going to be fine, right?

hyperventilate-paper-bag.gif

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Because everything's going to be fine, right?

:nod Everything's going to be fine. 

Let the baknforfing for Willa begin. :rollin

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Baknforfing for Willa. :goodluck 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Backnforthing for Willa this morning! :rollin

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:yay Everything's fine! :yay Chest and leg rads are clear; her oncologist said she doesn't even have much arthritis, so the leg lifting is probably just the old soft tissue injury and/or her Speshul Willa Gait. I can't tell you how relieved I am, and how happy I am that they finished so quickly. I was so nervous when they called this early. Usually we drop her off at 8 and don't hear anything until lunchtime. PHEW. Thank you all for baknforfing for us! 

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Everything is fine :clap Keep being you, Willa :kiss2

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Reebokabec said:

What is 'backandforfing'? I was reading through this thread because my beautiful greyhound (13.5 yo), Charm, just had her amp surgery 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to see what I am in for. :(

So sorry your Charm has joined this club. "Backandforfing" means pacing while we await updates about hounds who are having procedures or recheck appointments. It's our attempt to share some of the anxiety and express sympathy for the people and hounds going through scary things.

Hope Charm is doing well—if she's two weeks out, you're through the worst of it. I've been through this twice in three years, so it's all very fresh for me. Feel free to ask any questions here and I'll do my best to answer.

Thank you for this explanation, ramonaghan! Charm is a very good girl and she is adjusting as well as she can. 

5 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

So sorry your Charm has joined this club. "Backandforfing" means pacing while we await updates about hounds who are having procedures or recheck appointments. It's our attempt to share some of the anxiety and express sympathy for the people and hounds going through scary things.

Hope Charm is doing well—if she's two weeks out, you're through the worst of it. I've been through this twice in three years, so it's all very fresh for me. Feel free to ask any questions here and I'll do my best to answer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reebokabec said:

Thank you for this explanation, ramonaghan! Charm is a very good girl and she is adjusting as well as she can. 

I am shamelessly including a recent link to @ramonaghan 's beautiful Willa showing us how it's done :)  Best healing thoughts for your sweet Charm :goodluck At 13.5, she is a super senior! We will baknforf for her and hope to see those good updates. Hang in there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

I am shamelessly including a recent link to @ramonaghan 's beautiful Willa showing us how it's done :)  Best healing thoughts for your sweet Charm :goodluck At 13.5, she is a super senior! We will baknforf for her and hope to see those good updates. Hang in there. 

Willa's amazing! She looks so happy and she looks an awful lot like my Charm (just a different missing leg). It's encouraging to see a tripod running around like that! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Reebokabec said:

Willa's amazing! She looks so happy and she looks an awful lot like my Charm (just a different missing leg). It's encouraging to see a tripod running around like that! 

She makes it look easy, but I have to add the caveat that she's only 5. My first osteo girl, Sweep, was a senior (11 when diagnosed) and she was a happy girl and got around just fine as a tripod, but she didn't attempt Willa's :crazy gymnastics. She's always been a nut! :lol 

Edited by ramonaghan

• 2 weeks later...

I am so sad to be looking at this thread...

Why? Because our poor Amelia was just diagnosed with osteosarcoma.

We just found out yesterday afternoon after taking her to the vet for tests due to her limping recently. 
She had a lump and hot spot by her right, front ankle. 

I am overwhelmed with looking through info, and we haven't even gotten all the info back from the vet... waiting on scans and final tests.

Amelia is 6... she turns 7 (god willing), in August. 

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI
  • Sad 2

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

13 minutes ago, 2greyhoundMINI said:

I am so sad to be looking at this thread...

Why? Because our poor Amelia was just diagnosed with osteosarcoma.

We just found out yesterday afternoon after taking her to the vet for tests due to her limping recently. 
She had a lump and hot spot by her right, front ankle. 

I am overwhelmed with looking through info, and we haven't even gotten all the info back from the vet... waiting on scans and final tests.

Amelia is 6... she turns 7 (god willing), in August. 

Oh Monica, I am so sorry. I know it's a lot to process. Please ask any questions here and we will help you through this no matter how you decide to proceed. Many of us are unwilling experts at this point. :grouphug 

• Like 2

Oh Monica, you've come to the right place. For the moment, take a deep breath :grouphug

• Like 1

Thank you everyone... and yes, I'm probably going to be asking questions.

Like I said, we don't have the entire picture yet.

My husband is already thinking the amp route. 

I'm on the fence... why?
Well the vet said a normal extension of life from amputaiton/chemo is 10-12 months. 
Yes, they said there are cases where you get 3+ years.

I'm just not sure if I want to put her through that only to get 10 months?

Then there is the other side where if we don't, that bone could get brittle and could fall apart one day, and how terrible and painful would that be?
She is already not using that leg anymore. 

SIGH.........

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

What tests are they doing—ruling out osteomyelitis and getting a radiology consult? When you get more info, you might also consider a consult with Dr. Couto. He's wonderful.

When Sweep broke her leg there was no sign of osteo; they repaired the break because the bone was still so sound. When the break didn't heal as expected after a few months, they took new scans and saw the osteo. So a break is probably already a real risk, and you want to be very careful with her. That's not meant to be alarmist, it's just the awful reality of this disease.

And I'm not steering you one way or another, but I do want to offer that even if we lost Willa tomorrow on her sixth-month ampuversary, I'd still have no regrets about doing it. She had no side effects from chemo and none from the vaccine we did. After the first two weeks, she was back to herself and she's had an incredible few months—running on the beach and in the snow for the first time, playing with her brother, and being loved and snuggled every single day. It super sucks that Amelia and Willa are both so young, but the age serves them well in recovery.

I'm also aware that we are fortunate in that we have had insurance for both Sweep and Willa, so we didn't have to worry about that aspect of the treatment. We said yes to everything available.

• Like 1