1 hour ago, Beachbum1 said:

For the first couple of weeks, you might try to limit her activity.  You already understand about the stairs.  Keeping her on a leash when she goes out will keep her from "doing more than what she should be doing".

As much as I HATE them, I did use a flex lead in the BIG back yard for a week after his week at the hospital.  Controlled very carefully by me.  

We were already initially told she had to be on restricted activity. And planned on continued use of her leash. 
Luckily we have access in and out of the house without steps we can use. 

• Like 1

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Hi! Sorry for a late update… it was a busy day.

We are at the vet now waiting to pick her up. They didn’t feel a need to keep her longer since she was doing so well. 

I will update again after we get home and settled!

• Like 2

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Ok we made it home…

I built the first time seeing her as a tripod up to be so bad, that when I saw her it wasn’t bad. I didn’t freak out, cry, etc.

The tech went over all her meds, care, etc before we left.

The only thing they mentioned was she would let out a cry or yelp once in a while when she moved. They weren’t sure why as she shouldn’t be in pain.
Thought is she’s anticipating pain, scared or just very sensitive. Or just unsure of the whole situation.

Hopefully now that she’s home she will feel better about it. 
————————————————————————————

As for us? 

I am feeling ok right now. Glad we got her and got over the initial “seeing her” part.
And glad the ride home is over. She was very uneasy and didn’t want to lay down. 

I will be working from home tomorrow so I can be with her all day. 

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI
  • Like 2

Sounds like it's all going as smoothly as it can. That ride home and the first time getting them in and out of the car are so challenging. She may be yelping because, hey, she lost a leg, or because the meds can make them feel loopy for a few days. I am sure she's much happier home with her people, and I bet you're glad to have her there too. How's Carmen?

• Like 1

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Minivan was a life saver. Only thing I wish we had done was put an actual bed in it and not the travel ones… didn’t have enough fluff.

I think the yelp is her being scared for one reason or another… lost a limb, confused, was in a strange place, all of the above.

Carmen seems ok… she stiffed the crap outta her when we first comae in, especially the stitched area. But then she was more concerned with dinner time which is pretty typical for her.

Just gave Amelia some chicken salad. She enjoyed that and just glad she ate something. We will need to get her meds in her this evening. 

Thank you all for all the help and support! 
My next goal is to get through this first night. 

• Like 1

Yay! The fact that she is eating is a big hurdle you've already overcome. Don't be surprised if it takes her a few days to poop though.

• Like 1

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Thank you for updating, it sounds pretty darned good! And she’s eating, that is great. Here’s to a quiet, uneventful overnight for all of you. 

• Like 2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The discharge papers did say she may not poop for a few days.

One thing I saw was “don’t be surprised if she is depressed”… that makes me want to cry :(
Don’t know what I can do to help that except try and give her extra love and treats. 

And that first poop will be epic!!!!   :rolleyes:

She's got to work through what's happened to her too.  Time and patience from and for everyone involved.

• Like 1

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Update: We all survived night #1! :yay

Amelia was great! She ate a FULL meal last night!
Meds went well.
Potty breaks are going well… she does yelp when she is trying to get up. But the discharge consultation warned us of this. It is quick and that’s it.
The hubby slept downstairs with her and Carmen. He said there was some musical chairs that went on, but Amelia was able to settle in decent and slept for a good chunk of the night. 

This morning she ate her full breakfast and got outside to potty on leash. 

She is being such a trooper :beatheart

————————————————

Our neighbor also insisted we keep her minivan for a few days in case we need to rush her to the ER… she is such a sweetheart. We met her when her 2 greys were alive. 

I will say again the greyhound community is so amazing… probably the best fur kids parents we’ve ever met.

@ramonaghan Will check the mail today for the harness! 

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI
  • Like 5

Excellent update! It sounds like she is doing great. Congrats on getting through the first night. 

Just checked and the harness is out for delivery. It has a soft handle basically the whole length of her back if she needs assistance getting up or when she squats to potty. That said, I doubt she's going to need it for long the way things are going!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

Excellent update! It sounds like she is doing great. Congrats on getting through the first night. 

Just checked and the harness is out for delivery. It has a soft handle basically the whole length of her back if she needs assistance getting up or when she squats to potty. That said, I doubt she's going to need it for long the way things are going!

I wish there wasn’t the yelps, but not much I can do about that… I’m just going to have to be patient.

Very good start here. And her stitches and side look great as well… no change from yesterday when we picked her up. 

The only time at the moment she needs a little help is getting up from the couch. I think even the beds on the floor are easier since they don’t have a pitch to them. 

Meds sometimes make them whiney. I kept thinking they weren't working,  but then when time came to take them off, 2 weeks, they were 100% back to normal,  personality wise.

I made a ramp for my girls and tripod guests. PM your email and I'll send pix.

• Like 2

Wonderful reporting this morning! Excellent job all of you, it sounds as tho Amelia doing just beautifully :beatheart Phew!

• Like 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Cheering for Amelia :yay

We have a young front amp girlie, Joshi, a nearly 3 year old SalukiX from Quatar.    She came to us as a tripod 18 months ago and she’s just as fast …and way more active… as her 4 legged brothers. 

• Like 1

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

16 minutes ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Cheering for Amelia :yay

We have a young front amp girlie, Joshi, a nearly 3 year old SalukiX from Quatar.    She came to us as a tripod 18 months ago and she’s just as fast …and way more active… as her 4 legged brothers. 

She has always been faster than Carmen… I am wondering if she still will be! 

6 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

That harness has served many very special greyhounds well though their amp recovery. 

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

More updates:

Her poor front paw is a little swollen, so we were instructed to use a warm compress and massage it a bit.

She pretty much eats anything you put in front of her so that’s great.

Harness: it arrived! 
Dumb question: which way does it go on? I am assuming the thicker end with the buckle is the front?

29 minutes ago, 2greyhoundMINI said:

More updates:

Her poor front paw is a little swollen, so we were instructed to use a warm compress and massage it a bit.

She pretty much eats anything you put in front of her so that’s great.

Harness: it arrived! 
Dumb question: which way does it go on? I am assuming the thicker end with the buckle is the front?

Not a dumb question! Here are pics from the maker. The strap along their back is reinforced so it functions like a really long handle.

il_794xN.187979022.jpg

il_794xN.187979023.jpg

il_794xN.3914186390_fxhd.jpg

Edited by ramonaghan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

Not a dumb question! Here are pics from the maker. The strap along their back is reinforced so it functions like a really long handle.

il_794xN.187979022.jpg

il_794xN.187979023.jpg

il_794xN.3914186390_fxhd.jpg

Ah this makes sense now that I see it. :P

Update! 

Amelia pooped this evening! 
For what she’s gone through, and all the medication she is on it was a decent poop. 

Woohoo!

• Like 3