Thank you for this suggestion!
I am going to push to have her there an extra day or so if possible (I can't imagine them saying a flat out NO). 

I have been thinking about that as well... what will she think when she realizes she's missing a limb.
But I swear the last 24 hours she's been like ok I'm ready, I want to get this over with and stop hurting. 
Maybe that's just me projecting. 
I don't even know what day it is right now....

Just trying to keep it together. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Less than 48 hours till surgery…

I went to Petsmart today to stock up on pill pockets.
Was in the toys aisle and broke down crying. Just figured I’d share, and I knew you all would relate.

I will be going to the vet with the hubby Monday morning to drop Amelia off.
I plan on pushing for her to stay at least 2 nights.
Anything I can say to help that cause in case they don’t want to keep her?

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

20 minutes ago, 2greyhoundMINI said:

Less than 48 hours till surgery…

I went to Petsmart today to stock up on pill pockets.
Was in the toys aisle and broke down crying. Just figured I’d share, and I knew you all would relate.

I will be going to the vet with the hubby Monday morning to drop Amelia off.
I plan on pushing for her to stay at least 2 nights.
Anything I can say to help that cause in case they don’t want to keep her?

Explain that you and your family are "VERY" anxious about her immediate care post-surgery.  Plus, bear-in-mind, they're going to make more money that way. 

Taylor, WITH Amicar, developed a tremendous about of  edema and swelling 36 hours after surgery (front right leg).  His chest, all 3 legs.  So much that his pee was red.  So much that they needed to keep him for 6 nights, on an IV, to keep flushing fluids through him to reduce the risk of permanent kidney damage.     

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beachbum1 said:

Explain that you and your family are "VERY" anxious about her immediate care post-surgery.  Plus, bear-in-mind, they're going to make more money that way. 

Taylor, WITH Amicar, developed a tremendous about of  edema and swelling 36 hours after surgery (front right leg).  His chest, all 3 legs.  So much that his pee was red.  So much that they needed to keep him for 6 nights, on an IV, to keep flushing fluids through him to reduce the risk of permanent kidney damage.     

Wow, that was a lot. 
Thank you… I will try and stress this. 

What Mary Pat said. You've both got this.

I'm going to send you the "sisterhood of the traveling harness"—I have your address from the holiday cards. She can comfortably wear it 24/7 and it has good juju (and fur) from all the hounds that have worn it previously. I wish I'd thought to send it yesterday when the PO was open.

Here's a video of Willa at a playdate yesterday coming in hot after the four-legged boys. Amelia will be there before you know it!

• Like 3

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

11 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

What Mary Pat said. You've both got this.

I'm going to send you the "sisterhood of the traveling harness"—I have your address from the holiday cards. She can comfortably wear it 24/7 and it has good juju (and fur) from all the hounds that have worn it previously. I wish I'd thought to send it yesterday when the PO was open.

Here's a video of Willa at a playdate yesterday coming in hot after the four-legged boys. Amelia will be there before you know it!

How sweet of you! Just clicked on the harness thread… thank you!

And what a nice video. 
I know she will hopefully get there. Just kind of had that moment where things hit me hard. 

Thank you all again for the support. This forum has always been a great place for information, support and just general Grey love ❤️ 

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI
  • Like 2

One more sleep. Try to get some rest and know that we are keeping you tight in our hearts and thoughts. Amelia, play that video of Willa over and over and soak up her inspiration, you've got this! :kiss2

(Willa, zoomdoggie o m g !!) 

• Like 2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

7 minutes ago, MP_the4pack said:

Oh another thing to remember,  she's losing braking power, not acceleration. Just remember this when she starts running. 

Oh I’m thinking of that… I’m feeling like our home is the worst for this…. Stairs everywhere and our yard is a giant hill. 
Hopefully she figures out she can’t come barreling down the hill anymore.

I did have a question folks!

Anything I should be doing to prep the house?

We have gates, and things to put pills in that are tasty…. but what else?
Dumb, but I was planning to try and wash blankets and clean as well. 

Groceries.  Tasty, tempting things to eat.  Her favorites.  A rotisserie chicken.  Some McDees cheeseburgers.  Canned chicken.  Make up a pot of rice.  Some tasty dog food meals like Beneful Prepared Meals, or those refrigerated rolls of food.  Once you get her eating again she should be good, but it can be a struggle getting to that point. 

Plus people food.  Count on someone saying with her during the night and someone during the day, so you may not feel like going shopping.  Delivery is also a good option.

• Like 1

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Have yoga mats or non-slip runners on any slick floors. Use towels and blankets on her beds that can be easily switched out and washed if she soils them (or even use pee pads as bed liners). Yes to lots of foods to tempt her. If antibiotics are prescribed, don't give them until she's eaten. Don't be surprised if Carmen is a little weirded out at first (Doolin was), but a good sniff and all will be well. 

• Like 1

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

:rollin

:grouphug

• Like 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We dropped her off at 8 this morning.

She was so peppy and happy. Carmen came with for support LOL

I asked about her staying an extra night. The surgeon said it’s an option, though they like to get them back into their environment they know sooner vs later, especially to encourage eating. So that is up in the air. Sounds like we will play that by ear. 

Drop off was pretty stress-free. We felt good about it at least. Everyone was sweet.

We are supposed to hear how it goes post surgery. So I will let you all know!

• Like 2

Just now, 2greyhoundMINI said:

I asked about her staying an extra night. The surgeon said it’s an option, though they like to get them back into their environment they know sooner vs later, especially to encourage eating. So that is up in the air. Sounds like we will play that by ear. 

That's where we landed with both of ours—Sweep because she was so stressed and wouldn't walk or eat for them (when she saw us and our car, she suddenly figured it out, lol), and Willa because she was doing so well. It'll be okay either way. What amazes me is that some go home the same day! :yikes 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

That's where we landed with both of ours—Sweep because she was so stressed and wouldn't walk or eat for them (when she saw us and our car, she suddenly figured it out, lol), and Willa because she was doing so well. It'll be okay either way. What amazes me is that some go home the same day! :yikes 

He was very nice about it (the surgeon) and said however it works out will be the best way for Amelia. 

I do kind of feel like she is going to want to come home sooner vs later. But we will see how she is doing. 

Update:

Amelia went into surgery about 1pm.
They said she was happy, wagging her tail all morning at all the attention she was getting from staff.

Surgeon is supposed to call post surgery once she is in recovery. 

• Like 2

Update!

Amelia is in recovery.
Surgeon said everything went well… as good as it could.

She will be there until tomorrow. They will evaluate how she is doing around lunchtime tomorrow, and will decide if she should stay or go home. 

We went shopping for tasty food, pee pads, etc today. 
The surgeon recommended she not do a lot of stairs while recovering, so we will take turns sleeping downstairs with her. 
I also spoke to my good neighbor friend and she is loaning us her minivan to pick her up with since our vehicles are all a big jump to get into. 
They also already gave us her scripts to pick up.
The hubby and I already worked out with our works a schedule so one of us is home every day for the next month. 

At the moment we are as prepared as we can be.
Tonight we will relax, get some sleep and be ready for her to come home whenever that is. 

• Like 4

So glad everything went well. It sounds like you are very well prepared. :thumbs-up Definitely try to get some sleep tonight...you will probably have some bumpy nights ahead, but just remember it's temporary!

The harness is on its way, hopefully there Wednesday!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramonaghan said:

So glad everything went well. It sounds like you are very well prepared. :thumbs-up Definitely try to get some sleep tonight...you will probably have some bumpy nights ahead, but just remember it's temporary!

The harness is on its way, hopefully there Wednesday!

Thank you so much!

Sounds like they will be giving us a helper harness, but it’s not something that we can keep on her, so the one you are sending will be great!

:heart

Another update: the surgeon called again.

He said she was doing great… not much bruising so far, and they already got her out to potty with minimal assistance.
She has already been not using that leg, so I am not surprised.

He said to relax this evening and that she was in good hands.

• Like 5

For the first couple of weeks, you might try to limit her activity.  You already understand about the stairs.  Keeping her on a leash when she goes out will keep her from "doing more than what she should be doing".

As much as I HATE them, I did use a flex lead in the BIG back yard for a week after his week at the hospital.  Controlled very carefully by me.  

• Like 1